BT Broadband Catch 22

vigman
vigman Posts: 1,377 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 9 June 2017 at 11:21AM in Broadband & internet access
I have just installed BT broadband at a holiday home in a remote location about 3 miles from the exchange.

I was told I would get 1-5Mbs download speed, so I hoped for around 2Mbs.

In these first days I am getting less than 1 mbps most of the time.

I placed the order about a week ago and the router came yesterday. I get a 14 day cancellation period BUT I must run the router for 10 days from now to see what the best speed for the line is.

So I would have to cancel and change service/provider before I knew the capability of the line?

On another point it is annoying that the BT HomeHub 4 does not have the ability to show the attenuation rates? Their suggestion is to try someone else's router...which I don't have here!?

If the service failed to provide even 1Mbs would I be able to cancel my contract at a later date as BT would have failed to deliver the 1-5Mbs contracted for?

TIA

Vigman
Any information given in my posts or replies is intended to be of interest and/or help to members of the forum. I cannot guarantee that this is accurate or up to date.

Comments

• Mister_G
    Mister_G Posts: 1,925 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    They say that it can take up to 10 days for ADSL to settle, but normally it will have done so within the first 5 days, unless you have a bad line.

Does the phone sound clear without any crackles?
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,298 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    change of provider would use the same exchange pair so achieve nothing ??
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • lee111s
    lee111s Posts: 2,988 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    What does http://dslchecker.bt.com show for the telephone number? Can you post up a screenshot?

Can you also post up the connection stats from the router?

Is the router connected to the master socket? Or an extension?
  • warehouse
    warehouse Posts: 3,362 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    ADSL to settle? Absolute nonsense. The speed will likely not change.
    Pants
  • Mister_G
    warehouse wrote: »
    ADSL to settle? Absolute nonsense. The speed will likely not change.

Oh, really

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/7547/~/what-to-expect-in-the-first-few-days-of-broadband

Perhaps you know something BT don't?
  • vigman
    Thanks, trying to answer each point in turn:

The phone sounds clear but I have had an issue with the line staying open even with three different handsets. I tried a line test last night via BT website and got an error message saying it could not carry out the test.

I realise change of provider on the same copper pair would do nothing but there are some cheap introduction offers here on fibre that are not much more expensive. Apologies for not making that clear

DSL checker shows ADSL 2+ at 1-3.5 Mbs and ADSL Max at 0.75-2.5 Mbs

The router is connected to the master socket

I'll check out the router stats but it looks like a poor speed only is possible on copper at over 3 miles to the cab!!

ADSL speeds do have to settle after continuous connection of the router. I have been professionally involved in this for years as a retired IT Manager but more on the large stuff than home BB! I set up one of the first internet services via satellite in 1995 for a FE college!

My real MSE question was if I get an average of 1Mbs or even less could I cancel my contract which was for 1-5Mbs connectivity AFTER the normal cancellation period of 14 days from order because I have to wait outside that period for the ADSL negotiation to settle?

TIA

Vigman
    Any information given in my posts or replies is intended to be of interest and/or help to members of the forum. I cannot guarantee that this is accurate or up to date.
  • vigman
    edited 9 June 2017 at 4:16PM
    BTW what photo hosting sites to MSE folk use?

It would be nice to be able to post images in the body of the text but this does not seem to be possible, but if I use Google Photos for example, I won't remain anonymous.

(I know for now that you can go via Picasa archiving and take the redirect off the end of the URL to prevent going to Google+ but there must be an easier way please?)

Trying FreeImageHosting without an account but can't get the syntax of the code created right to link here?

Vigman
  • Mister_G
    Are you over 3 miles to the cab or to the exchange?

ADSL speeds at 3 miles to the exchange will be in the range quoted by the ADSL checker.

You mentioned fibre. Is your cabinet fibred?

If you really are 3 miles from the cab, then VDSL (Fibre) is not going to offer you a faster connection. If your cab is closer then fibre may help. It should be more reliable as it will have eliminated some of the copper.

If the cab is fibred then maybe BT would be willing to do you a deal.

You could try asking on the BT Forums.
  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    If it's not improved by day 12 cancel it. Simples.

Maybe get a 4G data thing if you have 4G there?
  • vigman
    Mister G. In one place it says 3 miles to the exchange and another it says 3 miles to Cabinet 24!

There is fibre here BUT this is a holiday home so was trying to use copper to save money. If I lived here for more than 4-5 months I would just get a decent fibre bundle.

I'm spoilt at home as I am a few hundred yards from the exchange and had a new pair run from the cab near me to the house as I had some wire crossing issues. I get 17Mbs all day long on copper there.

AndyPK: There is very poor phone and data coverage here with many places not getting any type of signal. Vodafone is the best of the worst and I think I once got a glimpse of 3G !!

Thanks for all comments

Vigman
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure