IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Aldi Store - Parking Eye - Planning Query

There's been a lot of debate recently on local Facebook pages regarding the new Aldi store (was previously a Scotmid store) and the new parking regime "managed" by Parking Eye. Obviously I've been spreading the word about how things lie in Scotland, including debunking the £24k fine news that people have been trying to scare others with, and posting links back to the NEWBIES thread.

However it got me to thinking about planning and advertising consent. The link below relates to the site in question, and the planning applications from 2015 (EK/15) relate albeit a couple of legacy applications are also thrown up by the search.

SLC Planning Portal

I've taken a look and I can find mentions of parking (specifically EK/15/0312) but I can't find anything regarding car park management, nor planning or advertising consent for the car park signs or ANPR cameras. Can someone else (if they're feeling bored) take a look and tell me if I'm going blind?

If there's no relevant consent then I'm minded to raise a formal complaint. :D

Comments

• Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,470 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Bumped in case anyone has comments.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,550 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Search in the link has expired.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• patman99
    patman99 Posts: 8,532 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic First Post
    Managed to pull up the PA.

The only mention of parking was for the creation of 61 parking spaces of which 52 were normal, 5 were for disabled parking and 4 for P&T.
    No mention of time limits or parking signs, so all the signs that PE rely on are placed without the relevent PP being obtained.

In England and Wales, this is the 'Town and Country Planning Act 2007', but not sure if that applies to Scotland.

So, spread the word. 'No PP' is the get out of jail free card for use when PE send you an invoice.

Also worth contacting local press to see if they are prepared to run a story on it.

On an aside, my local Sainsbury store in Tollgate, Colchester, has applied for PP to install an ANPR camera to allow it to enforce the max. 4 hours parking. Trouble is, they have never applied for either PP for the signs or the imposing of the 4 hour limit. So even if they get PP, the ANPR camera will be useless as the limit it is policing has not been applied for.
    Never Knowingly Understood.

Member #1 of £1,000 challenge - £13.74/ £1000 (that's 1.374%)

3-6 month EF £0/£3600 (that's 0 days worth)

• Half_way
    Half_way Posts: 7,047 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    If your digging, don't forget that the signs also need advertising consent as well as planning permission.
    Wasnt there an ASDA site that when notified about the advertising consent aspect black bin bags went over everything?
    From the Plain Language Commission:

"The BPA has surely become one of the most socially dangerous organisations in the UK"
  • pappa_golf
    pappa_golf Posts: 8,895 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Half_way wrote: »
    If your digging, don't forget that the signs also need advertising consent as well as planning permission.
    Wasnt there an ASDA site that when notified about the advertising consent aspect black bin bags went over everything?

asda in fleetwood ,,,
    Save a Rachael

buy a share in crapita
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 18 April 2017 at 9:48AM
    Thanks folks. What's said above is what I had concluded. The relevant legislation in Scotland is the Town and Country Planning (Scotland) Act 1997, and Chapter III covers Advertisements. This suggests (section 184) that separate advertising consent is not needed where planning permission has been given ... but there is NO planning permission for car parking signs. ;)

Looks like I have what I need to get the pot stirring. :D

I didn't realise the search link would expire. If anyone's minded to look again simply search for the Site Address of 74 WATERSIDE STREET.
  • patman99 wrote: »
    In England and Wales, this is the 'Town and Country Planning Act 2007', but not sure if that applies to Scotland.

The relevant legislation regarding advertisement consent (and signs of this nature ARE advertisements) is different in England and Wales. Sorry I don't know about Scotland, but I thought it was just as well to set out chapter and verse for England and Wales in case anyone was looking at this thread with that in mind.

In England it's the Town and Country Planning (Control of Advertisements) (England) Regulations 2007 (as amended). The 2007 regulations replaced The Town and Country Planning (Control of Advertisements) Regulations 1992.

In Wales it's the Town and Country Planning (Control of Advertisements) Regulations 1992 (these were amended by The Town and Country Planning (Control of Advertisements (Amendment) (Wales) Regulations 2012, but the 2012 regulations relate only to a new procedure for making an application, they don't replace the 1992 ones)

Under Regulation 30 (England) and Regulation 27 (Wales) it is a criminal offence to display advertisements without the relevant consent.
    Although a practising Solicitor, my posts here are NOT legal advice, but are personal opinion based on limited facts provided anonymously by forum users. I accept no liability for the accuracy of any such posts and users are advised that, if they wish to obtain formal legal advice specific to their case, they must seek instruct and pay a solicitor.
  • patman99
    patman99 Posts: 8,532 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic First Post
    Ahhh. Thanks for the relevant info about the Acts.
    Never Knowingly Understood.

Member #1 of £1,000 challenge - £13.74/ £1000 (that's 1.374%)

3-6 month EF £0/£3600 (that's 0 days worth)

• DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Well that went the way I thought it might. :D

https://www.facebook.com/groups/strathaven/permalink/10154505340887742/

(Closed group so you won't be able to comment).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure