Dishwasher Help!

Options

Comments

• Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,102 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    We used to use the standard tablet that would be released automatically during the cycle. However this broke and we chucked a tablet in during the cycle.

Sometimes we forgot to add a tablet and when we took the dishes out we found that they were clean.

If the dishes were badly soiled then perhaps a tablet will help; but generally our experience is no. Even we when badly soiled we use a supermarket own brand.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • Boxman
    Boxman Posts: 195 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Interesting, thanks
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    When it's off, it uses nothing, whether it's plugged in or hard wired to an FCU. The cost in electricity per cycle is a few pence, and the water cost will be about the same as flushing your WC (zero unless you are metered).
    The secondhand value of an old dishwasher is the same as an old washing machine-zero.
    If your electricity bills are high, it's more than likely due to the way you heat and hot water the property. Post some proper info, along with your annual usage in kWh's, and advice can be given.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • ASavvyBuyer
    ASavvyBuyer Posts: 1,737 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    macman wrote: »
    When it's off, it uses nothing, whether it's plugged in or hard wired to an FCU.

Not quite correct if it has touch controls; they always use a bit of power all the time to detect when you touch them. Some models of dishwasher constantly use up to 10 watts of power just to keep the touch controls active. We always switch ours off at the wall socket when it is not being used.
  • Lizabeth21
    Options
    Robin9 wrote: »
    We used to use the standard tablet that would be released automatically during the cycle. However this broke and we chucked a tablet in during the cycle.

Sometimes we forgot to add a tablet and when we took the dishes out we found that they were clean.

If the dishes were badly soiled then perhaps a tablet will help; but generally our experience is no. Even we when badly soiled we use a supermarket own brand.

Definitely going to test this, thanks.
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 3 December 2017 at 4:34PM
    Options
    Not quite correct if it has touch controls; they always use a bit of power all the time to detect when you touch them. Some models of dishwasher constantly use up to 10 watts of power just to keep the touch controls active. We always switch ours off at the wall socket when it is not being used.

All our appliances get shut off at the wall when not in use - including the cooker & microwave, both of which have touch controls. It's quite surprising how much some stuff takes when sitting on standby.

We had electric reclining chairs which chewed their way through 360 watt/hrs a day each when just plugged in - thats over £30 a year
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options

I doubt if a years -old d/w has touch sensitive controls. But even if it does, at a constant 10W, it will cost about £9 a year. So I don't think that will be the cause of the OP's 'sky high' bills.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • cajef
    cajef Posts: 6,266 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    matelodave wrote: »
    We had electric reclining chairs which chewed their way through 360 watt/hrs a day each when just plugged in - thats over £30 a year
    Ours don't, they are switched off at the wall when not in use.:)
  • AndyCF
    AndyCF Posts: 748 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Do they not have some kind of 'standby' mode ? I've never had one or really looked at one. I'm just thinking the "tv on standby vs unplugged" situation, although I realise even if it did it would only be a few mA being used at most.

If its not being used at all, then there might be a switched spur I guess or (hopefully!) a fused spur at least for it.
  • HelloDolly86
    Options
    Everyone has been so ridiculously helpful!, thanks so much! I’m a young adult who hasn’t encountered these problems before,which makes me sound useless but sadly I haven’t anyone else to ask! I’ve had to get someone in to disconnect my dishwasher. It’s frustrating as my dad use to be a plumber&handyman. There’s only so much google can tell me ��
    Now I need to figure out how to fix a leaking cistern. All these bills seem crazy high. Thanks everyone for all the advise!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure