How to complete ombudsman paperwork for packaged account charges?

Options
Hi

I am new to the forum but have used the actual website quite a lot.

I recently tried to claim my charges for having a packaged bank account and was successful with one bank RBS but not with Halifax.

I have been paying Halifax for approx 5 years for a packaged account. I have never used any of the benefits and to be honest to this day unsure of what they actually are. The account is a Reward Current Account.

At the time of taking the account I remember asking for a overdraft and being offered the account as it came with a free overdraft however they are arguing it was taken out after this time and was signed for.

My arguement is I have never used the benefits of the account, at the time I was in financial hardship as I was a student and my husband was on disability benefit also just had our second baby. My car was always insured and always paid for breakdown cover as part of the package. My mobile was through my mum and we lived in a rented property so unable to use the insurance associated to that. Also we was unable to go on holiday at the time so never needed holiday insurance.

I have tried twice and both times been told I am not eligible for a refund as I could have used mobile insurance however £15 a month is a lot just to insure my phone. I'm unsure what other benefits come with the account. I believe I was mis sold this as it did not suit my circumstances at the time and not financially viable.

I have now gone through the ombudsman and had a huge pack sent to me and unsure what I say that will help me get the refund. A lot is asking did I ever have breakdown cover etc!

Can any one with experience of filling these forms in please help?

I am sorry for such a long post! :)

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    You've already complained to the Bank. All you have to do is send a copy of your original complaint to the Ombudsman for them to adjudicate.

Be aware that nothing you have said indicates any mis-selling occurred and you were free to cancel the account if you were struggling to afford the £15 a month fee. You were also free to explore via the bank what other benefits were available to you. In addition, it was your own choice not to use them-nothing prevented you from taking advantage of the account's features. Did you use the free overdraft?
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,501 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    You tell the truth.
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • Mersey_2
    Mersey_2 Posts: 1,679 Forumite
    Options
    Calsie wrote: »
    Hi

1. I have never used any of the benefits and to be honest to this day unsure of what they actually are. The account is a Reward Current Account.

2. At the time of taking the account I remember asking for a overdraft and being offered the account as it came with a free overdraft.

3. My arguement is I have never used the benefits of the account, at the time I was in financial hardship as I was a student and my husband was on disability benefit also just had our second baby.

4. My car was always insured and always paid for breakdown cover as part of the package.

5. My mobile was through my mum and we lived in a rented property so unable to use the insurance associated to that.

6. never needed holiday insurance.

7. I'm unsure what other benefits come with the account. I believe I was mis sold this as it did not suit my circumstances at the time and not financially viable.

Can any one with experience of filling these forms in please help?

They are all valid reasons to complain of mis-selling and use in your complaint to the FOS (which you can do online).

I have simply numbered the points you made.
    Please be polite to OPs and remember this is a site for Claimants and Appellants to seek redress against their bank, ex-boss or retailer. If they wanted morality or the view of the IoD or Bank they'd ask them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure