PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat!

Comments

• MMF007
    MMF007 Posts: 1,375 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    " I'm proud of my mistake ridden achievement. "
    It's a lovely way to be! I, too, have tried new skills, made loads of mistakes but produce something that I couldn't do before and feel proud that I am trying and improving.

We had a great day yester with our lovely friends and their teenage kids. We laughed a lot, ate great food, and listened to the kids plans for University, their take on life in a small town, films, holidays, ec, etc. They are great kids, so engaging and very quick witted. A credit to their parents.
    We are hosting the parents on Weds, to make the most of our visit to the area. We live nearly 200 miles apart so only see them once or twice a year.

Chilling out today, will potter round, do a tiny bit of food shopping for a picnic tomorrow. We are going to the races! Unfortunately weather forecast is ... rain :( Haven't been racing for ages. DH laughs at me because I am usually very conservative but at the races I always bet to win, no messing about with each way bets! It's all or nothing for me!! We budget £30 on bets for the day (!) , any winnings are a bonus. I know it is folly and a waste of money but our one vice that is indulged maybe twice a year, if we are lucky, so I am throwing caution to the wind :rotfl:
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance. :grin:
  • Morning Fencers . I have a busy couple of hours ahead so no time to reply . Just had a quick scan through and will be back later .

maryc If you come back here even to read please read the post by Fuddle .
    She has had a long journey through a complex debt situation . In the years she has posted here about it she has got through and is now a strong woman with the life she hoped for .

Fuds Well done on the sock . Mar seems a bit quiet at the moment but I'm sure she can guide you through the casting off . I've only done the cheats socks , I don't have the patience for the type Mar knits . I feel proud of you today , I remember the start of the learning to knit .
    Have you booked the Pneumo vaccine yet ? I did leave a reminder or two after DD got the letter . x

Back later , hope all have a decent day and hugs for those struggling .
    polly x
    It is better to light a single candle than to curse the darkness.

There but for fortune go you and I.
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    I'm going to call in the docs tomorrow when I walk the school run polly. Its very much on my mind. I need this jab and if it's not available when the flu jabs are given I'm afraid I will have to complain. It has been 8 months since the respiratory consulant instructed I should have it and aside from trying at stages through that time I have been amenable but no more.

Polly the sock has demented me but I wasn't giving up this time. I'll get the second one complete and move on to mittens :D
  • monnagran
    monnagran Posts: 5,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Cranky, When Hester retires in October do you think that between boat cleanings and (cough, cough,) other activities, she might be persuaded to write her memoirs. I for one, would pay good money for them.
    As for the stork recipe book, I inherited Mum's and have it to this day, together with scribbled notes.
    If your father did no more than tidy your shoes away count your lucky stars. My mother would have tossed up if you really wanted to keep them, did she really like them on you, were you likely to grow out of them in the near future? Whatever, you were very unlikely to see them again, or if you did they would probably be adorning the feet of the child down the road who came from a poor family who couldn't afford shoes for the children.

The one thing my father treasured above all else was a letter that Mum wrote him during the war. Mum had a wonderful way with words and the letter she wrote to Dad describing how she and I escaped from Southampton in the middle of the blitz in 1940 was, according to Dad, an absolute masterpiece. He treasured it for years. However, it didnt escape one of Mum's decluttering sessions. I don't think he ever forgave her.

Maryc, Listen to Pollyanna. If there is one person who knows what you are going through it is Fuddle.
    Write out her post and keep it by you. Read it often, follow her advice. You'll never need any more help.

x
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
  • Witless
    Witless Posts: 728 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    CRANKY40 wrote: »
    I loved it. My go to recipe book was the Stork cookbook which we had to use in domestic science lessons in school but sadly that vanished during a lot of house moves in my late teens and early twenties. I must consult the bay of E to see if it's available and if it is whether I can afford it without mortgaging the house.

There's a variety of versions on the Bay - all quite buyable.

Vintage Recipe / Cookery Book – Tour of Britain’s Cooking with Stork Margarine £3.99 + £3.50 P&P (only 24 pages)

Vintage Recipe / Cookery Book – Cooking for an Occasion with Stork Margarine £3.99 + £2.00 P&P

Vintage Recipe / Cookery Book – Cooking for an Occasion with Stork Margarine £5.00 + £1.40 P&P

Possibly the best value - 1960s The Stork Cookery Service Books x5 Country cooking Plain & Fancy etc £5.00 + £2.99 P&P Description is -
    1960s The Stork Cookery Service Books x5
    1) Country cooking.
    2) Plain & Fancy
    3) Entertaining with Stork
    4) Stork goes Continental
    5) Beat the Clock with Stork

Have Fun!
  • nursemaggie
    nursemaggie Posts: 2,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    The Be-Ro cook book is still available from Be-Ro If anyone wants it I will post the address when I find it.

I had made some tarts from it and my mother said. "Rene used to make these, did she give you the recipe?" Indignation in her voice that her sister should give me the recipe and not her.

I said "they are in the BE-Ro book you have the recipe. All here recipes were in the Be-ro book that was why she never gave you them. You have one".

I think I used to have a stork one and of course I have had Dairy diarys in the past.
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    I had the Dairy cookbook when it first came out & my DS1 used it to teach himself to cook. When my mum died it was the one thing he grabbed of hers! A treasured recipe book of mine was given me by my grandparents when I got engaged - by Nancy Spain!
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,119 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    silvasava wrote: »
    I had the Dairy cookbook when it first came out & my DS1 used it to teach himself to cook. When my mum died it was the one thing he grabbed of hers! A treasured recipe book of mine was given me by my grandparents when I got engaged - by Nancy Spain!

I've just been reading about Nancy Spain... she came up in a library book I got about women in the 50s.. "Her brilliant career : ten extraordinary women of the fifties"

Otherwise I wouldn't have had the faintest idea who you were talking about.

It was a fascinating book which I only got out because I was looking for stuff about/by Margery Fish.
  • monnagran
    monnagran Posts: 5,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    I remember Nancy Spain, a very outspoken lady ahead of her time. I recall a television interview where she was knocking seven bells out of Gilbert Harding who, I thought, was an objectionable man.

Fuddle, you stick to your guns. Go and take up residence in the doctor's surgery. Take a Thermos, sleeping bag and a sock to knit. I bet they will soon find the wherewithal for your jab when they see that you mean business.

x
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    Dreading going monna. I can't be doing with the upset it causes me and can't be bothered to fight right now.

My BeRo book is older than I. It too was my grandma's. It's complete with taped cover that is now yellow and dried and, if I may say so without being rude, a young lassie wearing a sash and sporting what looks suspiciously like a bowl hair cut.

It's the first day of the school walk (I survived 6 weeks!) and the rain is horrendous.:cool:
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback