Options

Comments

• Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,286 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Oman78 wrote: »
    Hi ,
    I purchased 2 visa from Turkey visa office which disguises itself as a government website and charged me £50 admin fee on top of the visa fees . I complained to my bank and got admin refunded but Turkey visa office have proved the transaction was legitimate so I have now got to pay it back . I m now thinking of going to trading standards but not sure if they can help any advice would be much appreciated.
    Thanks

Trading Standards will give you advice... that is just about all that they do.
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I thought someone has resurrected this post in time for Christmas. Oh well.
  • littlereddevil
    Options
    If you went through a site that charges £50 then that is what you have to pay
    travelover
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,286 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you went through a site that charges £50 then that is what you have to pay

Remember the issue over fake EHIC sites and so forth... if the site pretends to be the official site so that the punter does not realise s/he is paying extra for the "service" that it offers then there is a decent chance of getting back the money.
  • NoodleDoodleMan
    Options
    Similar in the USA in respect of popular tourist attractions - third parties run a website and charge a fee for the service - all they do is purchase tickets from the prime legitimate source (including government agencies) and resell them with "markup" commission.
  • pogofish
    pogofish Posts: 10,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Oman78 wrote: »
    Hi ,
    I purchased 2 visa from Turkey visa office which disguises itself as a government website and charged me £50 admin fee on top of the visa fees .

There are dedicated threads here that cover this scam completely. You should get you post moved there as it has nothing at all to do with the OP of this thread and you clearly agreed to not hijack threads as part of your signup!
  • PompeyPete
    PompeyPete Posts: 7,126 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Can't see a problem Pogo. The thread has the appropriate title, and Oman78 has had to search to find it.....so well done Oman78.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,588 Forumite
    Options
    pogofish wrote: »
    There are dedicated threads here that cover this scam completely. You should get you post moved there as it has nothing at all to do with the OP of this thread and you clearly agreed to not hijack threads as part of your signup!

Whatever's wrong with posting about Turkish visas on a thread called Turkey Visa ??

I'm sorry to hear you got caught up in that 'fake' site oman but thank you for posting. Maybe it'll help people planning a visit to Turkey next summer (and if you aren't why ever not!!) not to fall into the same trap.
  • pogofish
    pogofish Posts: 10,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    maman wrote: »
    Whatever's wrong with posting about Turkish visas on a thread called Turkey Visa ??

Because its about a scam/impersonation site, not a Turkish Visa, which is pretty-much incidental to their problem.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,588 Forumite
    Options
    maman wrote: »

I'm sorry to hear you got caught up in that 'fake' site oman but thank you for posting. Maybe it'll help people planning a visit to Turkey next summer (and if you aren't why ever not!!) not to fall into the same trap.

pogofish wrote: »
    Because its about a scam/impersonation site, not a Turkish Visa, which is pretty-much incidental to their problem.

But surely anyone looking at the thread prior to purchasing a visa would benefit from knowing that these scam sites exist? Forewarned and all that.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure