Birthday celebrations - paying for own meal

Comments

• NeilCr
    NeilCr Posts: 4,430
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Maybe the other person isn't that important to the OP? There are friends I would bother for and friends I wouldn't. I wouldn't fancy the menu much and would probably prefer to spend the £40 on something else and of course some people just don't have the money to spend £40 on a not very inspiring meal and perhaps not a very close friend.

Sure

As I’ve said before the OP is a bit light on detail - although there seemed no problem with the cost. We don’t really know how close a friend she is

Me - I’d go to a special birthday if asked. I’d appreciate the invitation and that the person wanted me there. But, of course, financial constraints have to be taken into account.
  • NeilCr
    Forumite
    So what's for pudding?

(After all this, I feel like I've already eaten the first course now.)

:D:D

Perhaps the pudding is the birthday cake the £40 is going towards

;);)
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,585
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Forumite
    Maybe the other person isn't that important to the OP? There are friends I would bother for and friends I wouldn't. I wouldn't fancy the menu much and would probably prefer to spend the £40 on something else and of course some people just don't have the money to spend £40 on a not very inspiring meal and perhaps not a very close friend.
    I think this is quite possibly the case.

I agree with NeilCr - the information is a little sparse.
    And as the OP logged on this morning but didn't comment on any of the replies, I think we're unlikely to get to know much more.
  • FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    A big part of us enjoying ourselves is making sure that the others in our group (especially the person who’s do it is) are having a good time as well. It’s what we do.
    Of course, of course. Most people just enjoy themselves the moment you throw a bit of alcohol into the mix and everyone relax.

I wonder if you'd think the same if you had to pay £40 to eat food you dislike, drink some fancy water, and take party into a knitting class for the 5 hours. How many such parties would you attend and pay with a big smile on your face just to make the person celebrating their special day happy? (and if you happen to enjoy knitting, replace with attending a lecture on the reproduction of snails :)).
  • FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    There are friends I would bother for and friends I wouldn't.
    Mmm, I think that's what I stated in my post which prompted you to talk about making everyone happy!!
  • NeilCr
    Forumite
    edited 4 October 2017 at 5:57PM
    FBaby wrote: »
    Of course, of course. Most people just enjoy themselves the moment you throw a bit of alcohol into the mix and everyone relax.

I wonder if you'd think the same if you had to pay £40 to eat food you dislike, drink some fancy water, and take party into a knitting class for the 5 hours. How many such parties would you attend and pay with a big smile on your face just to make the person celebrating their special day happy? (and if you happen to enjoy knitting, replace with attending a lecture on the reproduction of snails :)).

What a strange question

Yep. I’d be fine - if that’s what my friend wanted to do and it was a special birthday.

Why wouldn’t I be?

Alcohol helps but we don’t need it to enjoy ourselves. We’d end up having a laugh (probably at my efforts at knitting!)

As I said earlier in the thread over the years we as friends have done things together that some of us like and some of us are not so keen on. Jeez I’ve been to ballet and opera and that’s real hot needles and eyes stuff for me. It’s evened out over that time. Sort of what friends are about (to us anyway - perhaps not to some on this forum). Different strokes for different folks and all that
  • Jellyb
    Jellyb Posts: 29
    First Anniversary
    Forumite
    The reason for the Macaroni cheese is because it's one of her personal favourites! Nothing to do with a veggie choice :)
    Sealed Pot Challenge -13 No 080
    Target £500 - £493.11 to go!

• Jellyb
    Jellyb Posts: 29
    First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Pollycat wrote: »
    I think this is quite possibly the case.

I agree with NeilCr - the information is a little sparse.
    And as the OP logged on this morning but didn't comment on any of the replies, I think we're unlikely to get to know much more.

That's a bit unfair - I thought I had commented already and didn't want to cover the same ground and didn't have time to check or comment again.
    Sealed Pot Challenge -13 No 080
    Target £500 - £493.11 to go!

• Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,585
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Forumite
    Jellyb wrote: »
    That's a bit unfair - I thought I had commented already and didn't want to cover the same ground and didn't have time to check or comment again.
    I regret that you think my post was unfair.

The point of my post was that you'd made 2 posts early on and there we were on page 5 with lots of questions and speculation but no clarification from you.
    I believe I made a fair point, but that doesn't stop you thinking otherwise.

Enjoy the party (or not, as the case may be).
  • NeilCr
    Forumite
    Jellyb wrote: »
    The reason for the Macaroni cheese is because it's one of her personal favourites! Nothing to do with a veggie choice :)

But it kills two birds with one stone. She gets her favourite meal and provides a veggie option
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure