Still take arrears when child has went to stay with other parent

Options
As title says my son decided to go and stay with his father and as he is 14 I was told he is old enough to make up his own mind by a lawyer.

Everything has been going smoothly but I have now been contacted by CMS who are looking to pursue his dad for over £2000 unpaid maintenance dating back 7 years.

Now half of me if saying that this should be paid as he was working and not supporting his son at all and I was solely responsible for 13 years and then the other half thinks it’s a likely !!!! when he’s living over there full time.

What’s your opinions on this?

Comments

• mummyofboys1985
    Options
    Sound say it’s a little !!!! at the end of post not likely lol
  • mummyofboys1985
    Options
    Ahhh rubbish it should say a little rubbish lol
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Well are you paying now? Surely whatever the arrears will be offset by your payments?
  • mummyofboys1985
    Options
    I don’t think that was an option of me paying nothing and it coming off the arrears each week.... I would need to check as that would be ideal
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I don’t think that was an option of me paying nothing and it coming off the arrears each week.... I would need to check as that would be ideal

Well if you're paying him and he's paying arrears - that would make sense wouldn't it?

Even by private arrangement
  • mummyofboys1985
    Options
    He’s not paying arrears & I they don’t take my payments towards the arrears. So my only options are write it off and close that case or persue direct pay which they take off wages.

Seems unfair that he avoids contributing for almost 13 years and I’ll now have no choice but to just write it off while he will happily take money... they did say that a mutual agreement could be made as in I don’t pay you and you don’t pay me for x amount of time, but I know 100% he won’t stick to it.

Oh well....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport