Halifax Mortgage PPI

Hi, I have claimed for a mis- sold PPI policy on my Halifax (originally Leeds) mortgage back in 1992. They phoned me explaining the policy was only in my name, not joint with my wife. I explained i did not know i even had PPI sold to me & answered all the questions asked. I resieved a letter saying my claim was rejected saying it was not mis-sold. Next day i had another phone call saying it was actually a joint policy so opened the case again. We didn't need PPI, we both worked full time, well paid & luckily had wealthy parents. As I explained this to the caller numerous times he still believes the policy was not mis-sold !!! It's his word against mine & I'm livid ! What is my next option ?

Comments

• Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,785 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    DIGBYTAP wrote: »
    I explained i did not know i even had PPI sold to me & answered all the questions asked.

That's simply down to your memory. Policies like that were setup in branch or through a broker and would have included a lot of documentation to sign not to mention a monthly fee going out of your account every month for however many years
    We didn't need PPI, we both worked full time, well paid & luckily had wealthy parents.

Working full time and being well paid is irrelevant, you could lose your job or be off sick for an extended period. How would you cope without one income for 12-24 months? Wealthy parents is irrelevant, the FOS doesn't accept that as a miss-sale reason as you can't realistically claim they would pay all your bills while you were out of work
    As I explained this to the caller numerous times he still believes the policy was not mis-sold !!! It's his word against mine & I'm livid ! What is my next option ?

His word against yours is how it works. You are making a complaint it was miss-sold, you need to prove it

If they issue a formal rejection it should be with a letter advising you you can go to the FOS, you then have 6 months to refer it

Do remember simply having insurance is not a bad thing, nor is it miss-sold, nobody needs insurance until they do, those that have it tend to be grateful
  • So my next option ?
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,480 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Go o the FOS once you have their rejection letter.

As above though, your complaint reasons are not good, they are either irrelevant or not a reason not to have MPPI.
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,318 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    We didn't need PPI, we both worked full time, well paid & luckily had wealthy parents.

Working full time confirms you were eligible for cover and your parents status is totally irrelevant. So, nothing wrong there.
    As I explained this to the caller numerous times he still believes the policy was not mis-sold !!!

If they are the only two complaint reasons you have then its a pretty easy rejection on their part.
    It's his word against mine & I'm livid ! What is my next option ?

How can it be his word against yours? Nothing verbal in your complaint reasons exists. You have one irrelevant point and another that actually confirms you were eligible (which helps show it was suitable).

FOS reject most MPPI complaints and Halifax are normally a pushover on PPI complaints. So, to see them reject one is unusual. Although given the weakness of your complaint, I can see why they have rejected it.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Ok thanks. What i find bizarre though is I received a £7k refund from Barclaycard & they didn't batter an eyelid ! Basically they said Yes you had PPI, here is your refund !
    Back to the Halifax though. It was actually the Leeds Building Society who we took the mortgage from, the Halifax then bought them out/took over. We always has hassle from then on. Everytime we went to the Halifax they would say "Oh, your ex Leeds & we hold no information on your account" This became so frustrating we eventually moved to another bank. On asking Halifax, in branch for my redemption figure, i was told "oh, your ex Leeds" !! Now I'm making a claim they seem to know my inside leg measurements !
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,785 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Ok thanks. What i find bizarre though is I received a £7k refund from Barclaycard & they didn't batter an eyelid ! Basically they said Yes you had PPI, here is your refund !

Commercial decision perhaps though short term unsecured debt like a CC with good benefits in work can mean the PPI was pointless even if it wasn't necessarily worthless. A mortgage is different
    Back to the Halifax though. It was actually the Leeds Building Society who we took the mortgage from, the Halifax then bought them out/took over. We always has hassle from then on. Everytime we went to the Halifax they would say "Oh, your ex Leeds & we hold no information on your account" This became so frustrating we eventually moved to another bank. On asking Halifax, in branch for my redemption figure, i was told "oh, your ex Leeds" !! Now I'm making a claim they seem to know my inside leg measurements !

You're making a complaint, not a claim. Whatever records they have or don't, they know sales processes and criteria for miss-sale and the reasons you gave are both easy rejections - everyone thinks they have a secure job until they lose it, nobody outside the police is immune to redundancy and firms go under all the time. Your other complaint, as I said before, the parents money is irrelevant - having to support the loss of salary could mean substantial hardship or loss of lifestyle for them which is why the FOS don't accept it as a miss-sale reason.

In hindsight it would have been better to ask this before making the complaint so a better case could have been presented like showing you had substantial savings (assuming you did of course, if you were both paid well and full time working I'd assume you had 3-6 months of income in savings minimum) or excellent work benefits which might have helped the Halifax payout.

As per previous comment reiterated by -taff, if they reject in writing and offer the FOS, then that is your next port of call for an independent assessment unless you have some substantial other evidence to go back to the Halifax.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,318 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Ok thanks. What i find bizarre though is I received a £7k refund from Barclaycard & they didn't batter an eyelid !

MPPI is a better product. MPPI is still retailed today.

Things like 12 months sick pay can get an upheld decision with short term unsecured debt. However, with long secured debt with lifestyle changing consequences if it goes unpaid means that MPPI is considered quite normal and acceptable to have.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure