Key Safe, are they safe?

Comments

• Rosieandjim
    Rosieandjim Posts: 254 Forumite
    edited 25 February 2017 at 10:08PM
    Has there been any statistics around how many houses have been broken into via these? Having worked on the community for 15 years some time ago I never came across one, and there were many fitted.

I don't think burglars would want to hang around the front of a property fiddling with a combination lock.

Most thefts are committed by a carer within the home and these have come to light in the media.
  • ThinkingOutLoud_2
    ThinkingOutLoud_2 Posts: 1,402 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    edited 3 March 2017 at 4:13PM
    So I recognise cost is a factor.

But take a look at (replaced link due to issue) http://www.safewise.com/blog/finding-the-perfect-electronic-door-lock-for-your-home/

Seems insurer approved if the right lock is fitted and has a few advantages including the 5 minute delay for failed attempts.

Also the "extra" codes let you give different carers/support agencies etc their own number (albeit that reduces the number of possible till you got lucky. ). But much easier to coordinate if one carer changes - you don't have to tell the others a new number - only the new one.

No idea if any good. There are much higher end solutions. But this seemed worth consideration.
    I am just thinking out loud - nothing I say should be relied upon!
    I do however reserve the right to be correct by accident.
  • alanq wrote: »
    The link is broken.
    Thanks. You are right sorry. Not sure what happened as copied and pasted.That said that link is getting flagged as risky by my firewall now.

Here is similar post - http://www.safewise.com/blog/finding-the-perfect-electronic-door-lock-for-your-home/
    I am just thinking out loud - nothing I say should be relied upon!
    I do however reserve the right to be correct by accident.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    The one we had was a push button one and used a letter and then four numbers.
    Sometimes it was a bit temperamental though and you had to start again.
    We got it for carers.
  • Alter_ego
    Alter_ego Posts: 3,842 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    The one we had was a push button one and used a letter and then four numbers.
    Sometimes it was a bit temperamental though and you had to start again.
    We got it for carers.

Was the letter c ? - clear
    I am not a cat (But my friend is)
  • I've had one (MasterLock) on my wall for a few years. Although it isn't readily visible from the street, being under the cap stone of the front wall, and out of direct line of sight from anyone on the pavement, my front yard is directly accessible from the street and I've always considered it to be a risk. However, it does its job - it's never been compromised or stolen, and I've had recourse to use the keys in it a couple of times. :j
    My neighbour opposite has to have reguar medical support several times a day and the carers use his key safe (also a Master Lock) several times a day, 24 / 7, and likewise he's never had any trouble with it, either malfunction or tampering.
    So for us two, in a busy, inner-city environement, they seems to work! :-)
  • alanq
    alanq Posts: 4,216 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 12 October 2017 at 3:07PM
    alexalex wrote: »
    Just recently came across a great review on here https://secretstorages.com/12-top-rated-key-safes/ .
    It's good for
    indoor and outdoor use.

There is a 3-digit cable-attached device and a 4-digit wall mounted device. The text for each has been attached to the picture of the other.

I was a bit dubious about only having 4 digits but each wheel can take any value from 0-9 so 10000 combinations. (However, a 12-digit push button device where digits can be entered only once and in any order only has 4096 combination - 2058 combinations with 5-7 keys pressed).

Security depends on the user randomising the wheel positions after closing the box. I suspect that with enough observations a pattern would emerge that would significantly reduce the number of combinations to try to open the box.

A bigger worry is the one-star Amazon review for the 4-digit box. "Do not trust with house keys! How-to videos on picking this lock available online" I have confirmed that this is the case.
  • Cash-Cows
    Cash-Cows Posts: 413 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    When my mum’s was installed (same one as pictured). I suggested it ought to go at the back where it cannot be seen. The installer said that was a greater risk as thieves can work on it without being seen from the road. Fair point.
  • seven-day-weekend
    seven-day-weekend Posts: 36,755 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 27 November 2017 at 7:04PM
    We have one like this on our bungalow (came with the bungalow):
    https://dnwgit7zg7mqr.cloudfront.net/images/141020-UK/800/21094.jpg

My mum has one like this : http://www.solonsecurity.co.uk/assets/images/products/categories/ha00711%20webtitle0.jpg

And we have one like this on our static caravan: http://www.wilko.com/content/ebiz/wilkinsonplus/invt/0258320/0258320_l.jpg

Use them all, they all seem safe enough
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure