Change of mobile - keep contract or move?

ptkloon
ptkloon Posts: 185
First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
Forumite
Hi, I currently have an old HTC phone which is on its last legs, instead of upgrading I kept the same phone and reduced my contract to £9.99 per month and it generally stays at that price per month or has a small increase, so maximum £12 per month for my usage. I get 250mb per month and 250 minutes and unlimited texts, the minutes are more than enough, I sometimes go use all of my internet usage.

My question is, do I buy a new phone and keep the same contract, or do I upgrade my existing contract to include a new phone, or do I cancel my contract and get a new deal including a phone? what has everyone else done? My main issue with the current phone is that the memory is always full meaning I am forever deleting photos etc

Thanks

Comments

• Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,287
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Ambassador
    I always buy my own phones now , look at the Moto range or the new Wileyfox phone

You pay for the phone over the life of the contract anyway

I'm sim only and have been for many years , currently using a moto G4

There are better sim only contracts out there for the money you pay , get a PAC code if you want to keep your number
    I'm a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Shopping and Freebies, Phones and TV and Over 50s boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing . All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Can you afford to buy a phone outright? How much would you be willing to pay for a contact? I just used mobilephone checker before i upgraded and it was a really good site. Maybe worth a look to find a good deal.
  • ptkloon
    Forumite
    bellaboo86 wrote: »
    Can you afford to buy a phone outright? How much would you be willing to pay for a contact? I just used mobilephone checker before i upgraded and it was a really good site. Maybe worth a look to find a good deal.

I'd be willing to pay up to £150 for a phone outright and £10 p/m, or up to £20 per month
  • You can get sim only from £5 a month for 250 mins. 5000 texts and 1 GB of data. The price of the handset will depend on what you want it to do and how bothered you are about the latest handset. I think you just need to set aside a bit of time to check out the different websites. I used the site mentioned in my last post after seeing Martin recommend it on tv. There are other good suggestions on here as well.
  • You can get a cashback contract for £2 with a cheap phone and a better bundle. You are currently paying far too much, whatever else you do.
  • ptkloon
    Forumite
    You can get a cashback contract for £2 with a cheap phone and a better bundle. You are currently paying far too much, whatever else you do.

I had a feeling I was paying too much, I want a phone that does half decent pictures and has plenty meomry. Had a look at the xiaomi Redmi phone but a bit unsure of how well it would perform in the UK and if any issues arise there's no local support for it
  • I have always been SIM only, I cannot understand why folks think they get a good deal with a "free phone" (or "cheap" one) as part of a 2 year contract. If nothing else you are stuck with your chosen network for a long time.

The networks make money out of selling you a phone on finance over 24 months.
  • Not always. I make a profit on all my contracts. But then I'm not fussy about which phones or bundles and stick to cashback deals. I never understand why the majority of people wouldn't since they beat all other options hands down (unless you want a huge bundle or the latest toy.
  • keith1950
    keith1950 Posts: 2,597
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    ptkloon.....I know there are lots of different tariffs but for £12/month you should be getting at least ....
    Unlimited minutes.
    Unlimited texts.
    4gb data.
  • robin58
    robin58 Posts: 2,802 Forumite
    keith1950 wrote: »
    ptkloon.....I know there are lots of different tariffs but for £12/month you should be getting at least ....
    Unlimited minutes.
    Unlimited texts.
    4gb data.

You can get all that for £10 from Plusnet on a 30 day rolling sim only contract at the moment via the Mse link at the top of this section.

Piggy backs via virtual network on EE which has very good coverage.
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!! ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income