Parking in front of driveways

Options

Comments

• smcaul
    smcaul Posts: 1,088 Forumite
    Options
    Unfortunately the white line is only there to draw peoples attention to your driveway, legally they mean nothing, they are just a white line on the road that you will have to pay for!!!!!
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    One of our neighbors had this white line-it did stop people as I think most people dont know what it means exactly.
  • red_devil
    red_devil Posts: 10,793 Forumite
    Options
    you can call the police give them the car number and ask them to track the owner and ask them to move it, they will if they can and call you back. Its a real nuisance but can be done.

why dont people think how would they like it.

We have no end of problems where we live. The other week we had a cone out and some lads drove into it and squashed it all and went to the local shop when they came out we told them politely that they had parked across a drive and smashed the cone up. One got all lippy and said he would replace the cone but of course he didnt.

Later that week we had a funny phone call and we dont know whether it was to do with that incident or not. whats wrong with people dont they ever say sorry. We even got asked havent we anything better to do so they think we should ignore it then what would they do if it was their property same as us no doubt.
    :footie:
  • Hermia
    Hermia Posts: 4,473 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I live in a block of flats and we have a car park next to the block. People are continually parking across the entrance despite the fact that there are double yellow lines on the road and it's clearly a car park. My neighbours are continually having problems getting our cars in and out.
  • Loretta
    Loretta Posts: 1,101 Forumite
    Options
    I used to live in a house where my next door neighbour sold cars from his house, shouldn't have done but he did.

All day every day people would park accross my driveway and very often, especially at weekends people would reverse into my driveway or drive right up my driveway, turn round and drive out or even reverse into my driveway, park and walk round to look at the neighbours 2nd hand cars. I understand how you feel as the cheek some pople have is amazing. The ones who used to park on my driveway and walk away used to say that there was no where else to park!

At the time both my husband and myself had cars and so did my 3 adult children who were all living at home so there was always one of us coming or going. We tried everything, leaving notes on the cars, calling over the fence to the neighbour asking him to tell his customers to move their cars, we put a gate up but it was reversed into and knocked down so many times it was not worth the bother. It was really hard after we had driven to the house, used our indicator and then found we could not get into the driveway and dangerous too.

After trying everything that has been suggested here and more the thing that worked best was just putting hand on horn and leaving it there until someone moved the cars. This annoyed the neighbour who started telling his customers not to do it, annoyed his customers who when they had to move their car just drove off and didn't go back to buying a car next door and made all our other neighbours annoyed with the car dealer for causing the problem as they also had the problem especially at weekends and didn't want to be living next to a car dealer anyway. I didn't care what my neighbour did as long as it did not inconvience me!

If you make it inconvenient for them rather than inconvenient for you it will teach them a lesson, any sign of heavy rain, snow etc hand on horn, it does work
    Loretta
  • shelovestobuystuff
    Options
    It is soooooooo annoying when people do this.We only have one car but most folk in our street have 2.There isnt enough room on the street for everyone to park all of their cars ourside their own houses.We have a drive and its always blocked so much so that we can never use it.We make the point of bumping the cars and setting of the alarms when we are trying to get the bins in and out past them.So awkward to have to park at the bottom of the road and carry all the shopping along the street to the house just because you can never get parked close to the house.
    My hubby works long hours so can never get parked when he gets home as everyone else in the street finished work earlier.
    What can be done?I would love to see resident parking permits.
    "Reaching out to touch the stars dont forget the flowers at your feet".
  • RadoJo
    RadoJo Posts: 1,828 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Bear in mind that the permit system is a slippery slope and will only mean that you have to pay for the privilege of parking down your road rather than allocating spaces or allieviating parking problems.
  • shelovestobuystuff
    Options
    We have a little wall at the front of our current house but where we lived before people used to actually drive onto our front lawn to park!!!
    The funniest parking story I have heard is from my in laws.They were on holiday in Italy and parked in the middle of a very busy full car park quite early in the morning before going off sightseeing.They returned to the car park later in the afternoon to discover that their car was now the only car there and was stuck in the middle of a very busy weekly market.The car park was the site of the market one afternoon a week and everyone else knew to vacate it by 11am.
  • steveo3002
    steveo3002 Posts: 2,731 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    knocking on their door really late at night or early in the morning should get the point across
  • shelovestobuystuff
    Options
    RadoJo wrote: »
    Bear in mind that the permit system is a slippery slope and will only mean that you have to pay for the privilege of parking down your road rather than allocating spaces or allieviating parking problems.
    My council already have free resident parking set up in some problem streets so I would like that extended.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure