Buccastem tablets

Does anyone here know how long the buccastem tablets take to work? Have been prescribed them for travel sickness but not sure how far in advance to take them. GP said to read the instructions but its not mentioned in them. Where else could I find out?

Comments

• rosie383
    rosie383 Posts: 4,981 Forumite
    Can I recommend Seabands? My DD1 suffers from travel sickness and we got her a pair of them. She has travelled hundreds of miles wearing them and doesn't get sick at all. They really, really work.
    http://www.sea-band.com/
    Father Ted: Now concentrate this time, Dougal. These
    (he points to some plastic cows on the table) are very small; those (pointing at some cows out of the window) are far away...
    :D:D:D
  • lizziebabe
    lizziebabe Posts: 1,115 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi the link is good.
    Buccastem is the same as Prochlorperazine but you take it in a slightly different way. You put it under your tongue so it is dissolved through the inside of your mouth via the buccal mucosa. I used to have them for vertigo/dizziness if I was vomiting. What they don't tell you is that they taste foul - really bad. :eek: Now I take a chance and swallow the Prochlorperazine (aka Stemetil) tablet even if I am sick because the Buccastem tastes so bad. It is a personal thing but I don't like them. I would say as with most medications they would take about 20 minutes to kick in. Hope this is helpful.
    PS I am a Nurse.
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,552 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    For sea sickness I use the sea bands which work until it is very rough (like Force 8)- then I pop a Stugeron.
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything! --
    Many thanks
    -Stash bust:in 2022:337
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets,29 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=163 £86 spent!!!
  • rosie383
    rosie383 Posts: 4,981 Forumite
    I agree with Lizziebabe about the buccastem. Mind you, my patients used to find that the taste was nowhere near as bad if they put it up between the upper lip and the teeth, rather than under the tongue.
    Father Ted: Now concentrate this time, Dougal. These
    (he points to some plastic cows on the table) are very small; those (pointing at some cows out of the window) are far away...
    :D:D:D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport