buying a car seat

Options
13»

Comments

• Savvybunny2009
    Savvybunny2009 Posts: 5,548 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    I have to agree, it's best to buy from new. Car seats should not be used after five years usage as materials do get worn which you cannot see, plus if it has been in a crash again, the extent of the damage to the seat is unknown.

I appreciate the comments where people say I would rather buy a second hand car seat that did well in safety tests than a cheap Argos one that may not have done so well, but... you have several months when your pregnant to save and look out for deals, and once baby is born you already know they will need a new seat and have time to save/look for offers. I think certain things are completely fine to buy second hand but car seats and mattresses are the two things you should buy new if you can.
    Comping wishlist for 2017
    1. Family holiday 2. Christmas presents :rudolf: 3. Fishing stuff
    The more you put into life, the more you get out
  • bulktrans
    bulktrans Posts: 622 Forumite
    Options
    We have a Maxi Cosi Carbiofix and selected this after lot's of research and discussions. It is well built and we are very happy .. HTH
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I'm an ex-biker & safety Nazi in some circumstances. A very well loved & cared for seat might do for an emergency, but I prefer my own kit, sourced from new.
    Just my paranoias. Other mothers have bought & sold second hand and been fine.
  • CathyP72
    CathyP72 Posts: 29 Forumite
    Options
    With something that important i would always buy new. Maybe I'm a bit too precious like that.
  • gayleygoo
    gayleygoo Posts: 816 Forumite
    Options
    If the carseat is in excellent condition, and was a good model when purchased, not more than 5 years ago, I would choose it over the cheapest seat you could buy new. I think Which? magazine did carseat reviews and found many of the cheap ones to perform very poorly. If it is a baby carrier seat that baby will not be in for long then I'd use the one offered, and save the money to put towards a good, bigger carseat later on.

One Love, One Life, Let's Get Together and Be Alright :)

April GC 13.20/£300
    April
    NSDs 0/10
    CC's £255
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business