how to ditch dimmer switch?

Comments

• oldone_2
    oldone_2 Posts: 974 Forumite
    Why not just put ordinary bulbs in the light fittings and continue to use the dimmers.By setting the dimmer switches to less than full on, you will be saving energy, the bulbs will last longer, and replacements will be cheaper.
  • JimmyTheWig
    JimmyTheWig Posts: 12,199
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    oldone wrote: »
    Why not just put ordinary bulbs in the light fittings and continue to use the dimmers.By setting the dimmer switches to less than full on, you will be saving energy, the bulbs will last longer, and replacements will be cheaper.
    I like the thinking, but to for a regular lightbulb to use less energy than an energy saving one you would have to have it on very dim indeed.
  • jennifernil
    jennifernil Posts: 5,580
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    cybervic wrote: »
    We're in a rented property and there were like 8 dimmer switch around the house, some of it are even GU10 light bulb, which I should imagine will cost me an arm.

Because dimerable light bulbs are too expansive for us, I'm wondering if it's possible to replace the dimmer switch with normal switch (DIY) so that I can use ECO light bulbs. I know how to change a wall socket, there are just 3 cables to be connected, but I'm not sure if dimmer switch is any different?

PS, my landlord wouldn't mind me changing them as long as I put the dimmer switch back on when I leave.

Thanks in advance for any help/reply.

I am struggling with this......

If the bulbs are there and the dimmers there, why not just use them?

Why spend money on new switches and energy saving bulbs? It will take you a long time to recoup the cost of all that.

Can GU10 bulbs just be changed out for the energy saving type?

If you need spare bulbs there are places you can buy them quite reasonably on-line.
  • madjay
    madjay Posts: 299 Forumite
    I am struggling with this......

If the bulbs are there and the dimmers there, why not just use them?

Why spend money on new switches and energy saving bulbs? It will take you a long time to recoup the cost of all that.

Can GU10 bulbs just be changed out for the energy saving type?

If you need spare bulbs there are places you can buy them quite reasonably on-line.

Read post 5......there is 40 lamps (20 of Which is GU10 Lamps) on 8 number dimmers. The old meter will be spining like a top.

theres nothing wrong with going green and saving money.....every one going to have to change to energy saving lamp any way .....because they going to Phase out filament lamps by 2011
  • jennifernil
    Forumite
    I did read it! I would not have thought they would be having them all on at once though. And presumably they would dim them at times.

We have 18 dimmer switches on various overhead lights (it's a big house) , but only about 6 are used regularly, and then only when we are actually in the rooms/hallways in question.

Mostly we use table lamps fitted with energy saving lamps.
  • jennifernil
    Forumite
    On a different tack.....are they developing dimmable energy saving lamps?
  • cybervic
    cybervic Posts: 597
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    We have a really tall ceiling that's 3 metres high, so we don't dim the light that much otherwise it's just not bright enough. The most used room has 300W of light bulbs (in total) which are switched on 7 hours a day, and other rooms/stairway/hallway all use 200w~260w of bulbs in each room. I just thought it'd save me some money if I can cut it done to like 30w~60w or less for each room, or maybe I was naive?
  • cybervic
    cybervic Posts: 597
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    On a different tack.....are they developing dimmable energy saving lamps?

Yes, GU10 fully dimmable costs aobut £10~£14 each and I think the normal one costs about £5 each.
  • cybervic wrote: »
    We have a really tall ceiling that's 3 metres high, so we don't dim the light that much otherwise it's just not bright enough. The most used room has 300W of light bulbs (in total) which are switched on 7 hours a day, and other rooms/stairway/hallway all use 200w~260w of bulbs in each room. I just thought it'd save me some money if I can cut it done to like 30w~60w or less for each room, or maybe I was naive?

Yes it will definitely save you money switching to low energy bulbs, that is a lot of power just for lighting.
    In one room : 300W for 7 hours a day is 2.1kWh, which is costs about 25 pence a day. So about £90 a year, although will probably be less due to being used for fewer hours in the summer.
    Roughly the same amount of power would dry a load in a tumble dryer or cook an evening meal in an electric oven.
    Changing a dimmer switch to a standard switch is a straight swap and should be straightforward.
    You would probably be best ditching the fancy fittings with GU10 lamps and fitting a standard pendant, will cost less for the energy saving bulbs and be brighter. Depends on the fitting but should be able to remove and replace them without damage when you move out.
  • jennifernil
    Forumite
    Yes, that was what I meant, you cannot just replace a GU10 with an ordinary energy saving bulb.

I was not considering dimmable energy saving GU10s, I can see I have not kept up with developments!

I am still not convinced that the initial cost to change will make it worthwhile. I suppose it depends on how long you plan to stay there.

I presume you would then take all your energy savers with you to your next place?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure