Mr and Mrs K's New Journey to a Debt Free Life.

AlexLK
AlexLK Posts: 6,125 Forumite
Debt-free and Proud!
edited 10 September 2013 at 5:05PM in Debt free diaries
After seeing you are such a helpful bunch on here, my wife and I are making this diary to (hopefully) keep us on track to clearing our debts and moving away from an unsustainable lifestyle.

Some of you may have seen my post asking for help, well things have kind of moved quickly and Mrs K and I are in the process of writing a new SOA with exact figures because my wife is a bit of a perfectionist who thinks every penny matters. Personally, I'm not one to worry about £10 here or £20 there but I'll do as I'm told.

I am going to try and post something here everyday, some of it may be useful and sensible, some of it may not. Hopefully, I'll manage to add a bit of humour to what is a rather horrible situation.

So here goes:

Monday 2nd September, 2013.
Day 1.

Dear Diary,

After an emotionally fraught start to the day, Mrs K and I are beginning to work together to solve our debt problems. She is rather unhappy about how I let the CCs completely go and have probably completely wrecked my credit rating in the process. However, she is willing to forgive my stupidity should I learn from my mistakes and work with her.

We have agreed to completely merge our finances and complete detailed accounts, some of which I will be responsible for and others she will be. Apparently, each bill needs to be looked at separately, even "council tax" has become a separate entity now though my pen fund seems to be strangely missing.

Still, I'm looking forward to an evening of making up later. ;)

Yours Faithfully,
Alex.

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]
2018 totals:
Savings £11,200
Mortgage Overpayments £5,500

Comments

• Glad to have found this :) Good luck both.
  • wegle
    wegle Posts: 546 Forumite
    edited 2 September 2013 at 10:03PM
    Just posted on your other thread then stumbled on this one! You should be really proud of all you've achieved since yesterday and don't forget to give Mrs K a big kiss for being so supportive, you're going to need each other every step along this journey.

I've subscribed and looking forward to seeing your progress. Xxx
  • Mara_uk7
    Mara_uk7 Posts: 1,219 Forumite
    First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    So pleased that you are able to work at this together, you got into it together and are now going to sort it together. Its the start of your happy ending . :)
    Its just a bad day, Not a bad life .. :cool:
  • AlexLK
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Thank you everybody for your encouragement. I don't think we are going to manage to get our new SOA up today as some of our finances are such a tangled mess. However, I assure you I will have this up tomorrow probably with a task list from Mrs K of what I need to get done.
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
  • Mrs K is right! Lol, just keep remembering that one
  • Orange_Ena
    Orange_Ena Posts: 1,297 Forumite
    Here you are! :)

Good luck Mr and Mrs K. I'm subscribing :)
    Debt Apr 15 - £6895.44 :( Apr 17 - £2500 :) Dec 17 - £560 :) July 18 - £199 :D
    CHEFS challenge (Cruise Holiday Entirely Funded by Surveys) - £685.79
    Every penny is a prisoner :D
  • fc123
    fc123 Posts: 6,573 Forumite
    AlexLK wrote: »

Other people do bother me but not as much as they did. I remember when I sold my RRS, I was convinced somebody was going to sneer at my obvious downgrade. Now, I'm not quite so bothered.

AlexLK wrote: »
    Thank you for all your help, we still need it but my wife and I are getting somewhere at least.

Something else we are talking about is for me to dedicate some of the time I am home into trying to earn a little more from buying and selling things I am knowledgeable about / can refurbish. Fortunately, liking old things one often learns skills in mending them too.

For the first time in ages I feel I've got something to look forward to in the future instead of reminiscing on the past and bitterly looking back thinking that "things are not what they used to be".

Stumbled across your thread and read it all start to finish just now (so quoted from the old one here).

Anyone you would call a friend wouldn't sneer at downgrading a car...and if they do you were hanging out with the wrong crowd. Kinda makes you want to buy an old Skoda just to test the theory :)........as a bonus I have heard they are very reliable car.

So glad your wife is on board with the diary as well........and you sound so much more positive in just 24 hours.

I haven't much time tonight but have subscribed so will return with some tips that may be of use as we got rid of 160k of debt (I know :o) and I did full and finals on cards, got interest frozen and payment plans set up (whilst we saved as much as we could to F+F).
    I have just helped my brother sort out 30k of card debt with 0% int and F+F on 1 so far........and he earnt tons for years ~(6 figs) and had never had to cut back at all in his life ....sadly his divorce cost him dear. He is 45.

Just to say, ideas on turning the interest into a profitable biz sound a good way forward as is some of your time being at home with your son so he may only have to do PT nursery....as you could then do some work in the evening instead if selling online. This means your wife can work FT and not worry about childcare as Dad is there.

Just put that in as ours are big now but we have always had our own business so we both did childcare and for Dad to be involved with all the everyday things is a privilege....you may have the flexibility to earn and look after him PT.

sorry....long post but the thing that happens is paying down the debt seems like it's taking forever...and the cutting back and so on but one day, it's gone.
    ....and then the savings seem to happen by magic as there is surplus. You will be amazed at how quickly they mount up once the debts are no more.

Keep the house as you debt is very do-able.:)
  • AlexLK
    Debt-free and Proud!
    fc123 - Thank you for your wonderful post. :)

Yes, I have "hung out with the wrong crowd" in the past, I found out which few were real friends when I went through what I can only crudely describe as a "nervous breakdown" four years ago. Now I have very few friends from all those I made over the years.

Please return with tips :D I presume the £160k includes a mortgage? If I count that I'm nigh on £240k in debt which makes me feel even more queasy.

I have been at home with our son since day one, my wife and I shared the first six months with neither of us working and we still found it difficult but we love our little boy to pieces. I know this is going to be a tough journey and that today is merely the beginning.
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
  • Spirit_2
    Spirit_2 Posts: 5,546 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Well done on starting a diary.

Some years ago I posted on here when we got into significant debt. OH had been made redundant from a high paying job, and we could not/did not turn off our expenses quickly enough.We paid for school/Uni, had ponies, thirsty nice cars, good holidays and travel.

When OH found/took a new job we agreed he would 'downshift', earning a third of his previous salary. He was also offered a much higher paying job at the same time but we knew it was the right step to take.

We were about £60,000 + in debt when I posted my SOA. Just because I had my LBM, it did not mean tht my husband had his, that took a little longer. I explained it as 'being less wasteful' and we both came to value simpler things more than we had.

The advice I had on here was to takebaby steps, along with the thrifty tips and suggestions to cut bills.

We cleared the debt in a couple of years because we took the DFW advice, sold assets , downsized the cars (I have a classic car too which became OHs car for about 9 months including a snowy winter - small 2 seater soft top brrrr), ate out less, cut back on generous presents and scaled back holidays. We did not think it was anyone elses business to know why we were cutting back, we just explained we were wasting less, budgeting better.

Fast forward to today, OH really enjoys his job and as he now runs the charity he went to work for his pay is very good, but not huge and has more than doubled. I pushed myself at work when only I was earning, made leaps in career terms increasing my salary and prospects significantly which I continue to benefit from. We have holidays as we choose, drive good cars, still have my classic, and apart from a small mortgage no debts. We are not living in a frugal DFW way, but continue to value things more than we did pre-getting into and out of debt.

There is light at the end of the tunnel, keep talking, on here and to your wife, make cost cutting fun/a challenge, do not let your parents well meaning generosity drive your priorities, read other peoples diaries,join the grocery challenge, grow veg etc if you think that will work for you and.... take baby steps.
  • HOK3Y
    HOK3Y Posts: 1,667 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Hello Alex,

I just wanted to stop by here and say well done to you and Mrs K. I was nervously watching your earlier thread and I didn't post because I knew there were far better people placed to do so. I was so very worried for you at first. This thread is just wonderful - I am so happy that you and your wife have come together and are making some major leaps forward. Could not be happier for you. All the very best to you both, and your son. :)
    Credit Card Freedom gained 14 Feb 2014!!
    Total Debt Freedom gained 29 Apr 2014!!
    Savings goal 30/9/23: £72,000/£538,001.....yes I'm serious!
    Total Debt August 2013: [STRIKE]$21,587[/STRIKE] April 2014: $0!!!!:j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport