Cost of calling 0844 numbers?

Comments

• And my second gripe - Just had a letter from Equiniti about my employee shares and had to ring at 8p a minute to then find out that they already had the information but my letter "was a standard one they send out irrespective of whether we already have your information or not".

And as it was an "inbound service centre only" they were not able to ring me back, but I had to pay to tell them their systems were not communicating.
  • Heinz
    Heinz Posts: 11,191
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Forumite
    Yes, I want to know why CAB are not a 0300 number rather than a premium rate. do they need the money?
    Yes, it's a charity.

http://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • Ellie2758
    Ellie2758 Posts: 2,848
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    The alternative phone numbers listed for LG's 0844 number on saynoto0870.com are no longer in operation. Cant find an alternative anywhere. Annoying!
    Ellie :cool:

"man is born free but everywhere he is in chains"
    J-J Rousseau
  • A Tesco Lite payg sim charges 8ppm with no set-up fee like landline providers charge. Per second billing after the first minute, too.
    ''apply within'' :)
  • Everyone should be made aware of these scam numbers.

I work for a B2B cold-calling company and have been the victim of this. I obviously feel stupid for falling prey to a blatant scam, but on the other hand there is pressure on people in jobs like these to get sales and by blatantly publishing these premium rate numbers under false businesses they are preying on hard working people.

the unusual prefix 070 automatically set me thinking but in my eagerness to make a sale I dismissed it as some sort of personal telephone system. Only after performing a long conference call (i know, i know) did I get suspicious and do the clever thing by typing it into google.

Some of you will probably call me an idiot, and I feel that way. However, bottom line is I had no idea about this type of number and nor does anyone in my company that I have spoken to. OFCOM should be making businesses aware of these shady practises.
  • My idiocy knows no bounds. Wrong thread. :mad:
  • Agile
    Agile Posts: 12 Forumite
    edited 12 December 2011 at 7:23PM
    Yet another web forum which comes up in searches but its seriously out of date !

A supplier of numbers last week said that call charges can vary according to what we wanted them to be and up to about £1.50 per minute and we could get a cut of about 30%.

Tony
  • Heinz
    Heinz Posts: 11,191
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Forumite
    Agile wrote: »
    Yet another web forum which comes up in searches but its seriously out of date !

A supplier of numbers last week said that call charges can vary according to what we wanted them to be and up to about £1.50 per minute and we could get a cut of about 30%.

Tony
    Can we have that in English please.
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • theloft
    theloft Posts: 1,703 Forumite
    GLM_ wrote: »
    My idiocy knows no bounds. Wrong thread. :mad:
    You could Edit and delete it all !!
    "0844 COSTS YOU MORE"
  • Inreresting thread here about use of 0843 to recruit http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3671293
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure