Correction... what correction?

Today my (conservative) portfolio is back to where it was on Jan 1st give or take a little bit of internal +ve/-ve noise.

Where are the "plungers" and "sellers" now?

Mind you, I still think a real correction is on the cards, but not at all convinced you should try and sell out everything to buy back in.

Comments

• Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    May have more to do with end of year reporting than underlying profitability.
  • lawriejones1
    lawriejones1 Posts: 304 Forumite
    What an odd thing to write. So you criticise people for wrongly predicting a correction then you predict your own correction?

Markets go up and down. It makes little sense to try and predict it. As sailors would tell you "Hold fast".
  • Glen_Clark
    Glen_Clark Posts: 4,397 Forumite
    edited 5 March 2016 at 9:41AM
    talexuser wrote: »
    Where are the "plungers" and "sellers" now?

I don't know, but I hope to see 'flock of sheep' back soon, because everytime she appeared she predicted a crash and my shares went up soon after :D
    “It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.” --Upton Sinclair
  • Apodemus
    Apodemus Posts: 3,384
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Thrugelmir wrote: »
    May have more to do with end of year reporting than underlying profitability.

Can you expand on that, as I am not sure I understand. I would have thought it was only once we see the end of year reports that we get any clue as to underlying profitability (or otherwise).

Do you mean that share prices were depressed expecting worse figures than were eventually published, so rose on results, or that companies have massaged figures to be able to record additional revenue ahead of year-end?
  • talexuser
    talexuser Posts: 3,494
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    What an odd thing to write.

My point was this (a couple of weeks) wasn't a real correction at all, but the doom predictors still pile in to advise to sell etc, when we know investing should be for the long term. The downside is having to cash in on a large dip, so investors should avoid being in that position with other savings options.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure