edited 20 September 2021 at 3:19PM in Energy
This is a feedback thread on energy supplier
GB Energy Supply

Please share your experience with other MoneySavers. Click reply to take part
  • Did you switch go smoothly?
  • Have you had problems since?
  • Is it easy to contact?
The feedback comes as part of the
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.

Comments

• sidbee
    sidbee Posts: 49 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Taking a leap into the (almost!) unknown I've just applied to switch to Zog for gas and GB Energy for electricity - a big saving for me, hope their admin. keeps on top of probable expansion as they become better known!
    I will post updates as things progress.
    sidbee
  • BigAde
    BigAde Posts: 439 Forumite
    They certainly seem cheap, but with no reviews and very little known about them I'm reluctant to take the plunge.
    Ah! Good old trusty beer... I hope you never change.
  • sidbee
    edited 22 April 2015 at 1:32PM
    Well so far so good -I've already received by email within minutes of completing the application a Welcome Pack with my account number, my MPAN (meter point number) entered for me to check, my proposed switch date (1 month from today) and confirmation of the monthly direct debit.

One word of warning/advice - they do take the DD monthly in advance, in fact even before the date the supply begins! Their T&C's are clearly shown on the website so I was aware, but others might not be - the first DD is taken the day after the end of the cancellation period, so effectively 15 days after completing the application, and the same day each month thereafter.

(Interestingly, however, they appear to have given me a week longer than that!)
    sidbee
  • Cheap Energy Club quoted a £155 annual saving but quote on same consumption figures and same tariff, direct from GB energy supply, was £57.36. Not worth the hassle. Disappointing!
  • Hi AliGator1927,

If you drop us an email at energyclub@moneysavingexpert.com we'll have a look into this for you.

Thanks,
    MSE Weleid
  • sidbee
    Cheap Energy Club quoted a £155 annual saving but quote on same consumption figures and same tariff, direct from GB energy supply, was £57.36. Not worth the hassle. Disappointing!

The Cheap Energy Club quoted cost for me for GB Energy was exactly the same as that from them direct. Have you checked to see if figures quoted by the CEC for other energy suppliers agree with the suppliers' quotes?
    sidbee
  • dugongs2
    dugongs2 Posts: 14 Forumite
    I switched a couple of months ago and seems to have gone through ok. They take a payment prior to the switch completing which was fine for me but some who are in credit may not appreciate that.

Only gripe so far is the website has never worked properly. Meter readings have to be given over the phone and my first statement presumably based on an estimate cannot be viewed. I have emailed a couple of times and I am told they are working on the website.

Its early days and I can put up with a lot for a cheap price. Service when i have spoken with them or emailed is fine. If they sort out their website then all will be fine.
  • sidbee
    dugongs2 wrote: »

Only gripe so far is the website has never worked properly. Meter readings have to be given over the phone and my first statement presumably based on an estimate cannot be viewed. I have emailed a couple of times and I am told they are working on the website.

Hmm. If it doesn't work now when they only have a few thousand customers I wonder how it will be if/when the numbers increase significantly - as they will, if GB Energy continues to offer the lowest price for most consumers. I don't like the sound of statements not being available to view - I do hope this won't be another Extra Energy debacle. At least there are no exit penalties if things go belly-up!

(Why don't these start-up independents get their IT systems up and running before they take on business? How hard can it be? Surely that must be cheaper in the long run than having to constantly play catch-up and fire-fight, and in the worse case scenarios, losing both existing customers and blighting future new business growth for months or even years - goodwill is easily lost.)

Guess I will wait and see how things go with my switch, but if they don't get the online systems working withing a reasonable time I will be bailing out again. I don't want to have to waste my time phoning or emailing to chase up statements that should be automatically generated on receipt of the meter read.
    sidbee
  • Little_Gem
    Little_Gem Posts: 67 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I rang up and switched to GB Energy over a month ago, tried to switch through the website but the address was displayed incorrectly so couldn't! Thought it had all gone nice and smoothly at the time but over a month later and I haven't heard anything from them! Tried calling to find out what's going on and they seem to think that maybe my switch application hadn't been sent through to the correct department. I've been assured numerous times that someone will call me and still nothing! Slightly concerned as I gave all my direct debit details etc.! Useless! Not sure now if I can try and switch to someone else or if they are going to find my application and commence the switch! In the meantime I'm paying sky high British Gas standard tariff prices!!
  • deanos
    deanos Posts: 11,223 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Uniform Washer
    i switched last week, emailed asking to change direct debit day, that was 7 days ago and not had a reply, does not inspire confidence
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure