Prepaid Travel Cards guide

Comments

• Markhy81
    Markhy81 Posts: 6 Forumite
    Thanks much appreciated :j

Will update with what i experience and any hidden charges I may have on my return
  • WeSwap or Monzo; which prepaid card is better for purchases and cash withdrawal in Europe? Many thanks
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,573 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    WeSwap or Monzo; which prepaid card is better for purchases and cash withdrawal in Europe? Many thanks
    Monzo requires no planning ahead and waiting in order to get the ideal rate, then again to exchange back what you don't spend. It holds your money in pounds until you use the card, give the ideal rate with zero fees and is simplicity itself (unlike WeSwap, which I don't use).
    Evolution, not revolution
  • adindas
    adindas Posts: 6,813 Forumite
    I understand with Revolut the Free ATM withdrawals is up to £200/€200 per month.

If for instance I withdraw EUR100 today July 8th and then EUR100 the following week July 15th. When is the earliest date I could withdraw without attracting 2% charges ???
  • dj1471
    dj1471 Posts: 1,968 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    adindas wrote: »
    I understand with Revolut the Free ATM withdrawals is up to £200/€200 per month.

If for instance I withdraw EUR100 today July 8th and then EUR100 the following week July 15th. When is the earliest date I could withdraw without attracting 2% charges ???

In my experience it's a rolling month, so August 8th. I'm sure it's detailed on the website somewhere.
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,573 Forumite
    adindas wrote: »

I've always understood it to be per calendar month, in which case you can withdraw again without fee on Aug 1st. So if your trip spans the end of month you can withdraw 400 with no fee. But I don't have actual experience...
    Evolution, not revolution
  • adindas
    adindas Posts: 6,813 Forumite
    dj1471 wrote: »
    In my experience it's a rolling month, so August 8th. I'm sure it's detailed on the website somewhere.
    eDicky wrote: »
    I've always understood it to be per calendar month, in which case you can withdraw again without fee on Aug 1st. So if your trip spans the end of month you can withdraw 400 with no fee. But I don't have actual experience...

Apart from EUR200 limit, Is there any limit for the number of withdrawal. For instance just to be used to get a small denomination of money from cash machine ??
  • WeSwap or Monzo; which prepaid card is better for purchases and cash withdrawal in Europe? Many thanks

If you have access to a safe deposit box just take cash.
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    If you have access to a safe deposit box just take cash.

Having seen a safe deposit box ripped out, or rather where it should have been, I certainly wouldn't trust my valuables in one.

I haven't taken cash abroad since the mid 90's.
  • dj1471
    dj1471 Posts: 1,968 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    edited 8 July 2017 at 9:24PM
    eDicky wrote: »
    The website isn't clear but does imply that it's per calendar month.
    ATM usage is free for up to £200 (€200/ $200/ Fr 200/ 800zl) per month, after which there will be a 2% fee applied to further ATM withdrawals until the end of the month.
    However, looking in the app it says I've withdrawn £37 / £200 this month. I've made no withdrawals this calendar month, but have withdrawn a total of £37 within the last 30 days.

In answer to the other question, no there is no limit to the number of ATM withdrawals you can make.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback