18 year old student no credit score rejected for mobile contract HELP!

bubblybumble
bubblybumble Posts: 35 Forumite
edited 3 November 2009 at 12:36AM in Mobiles
Hi, my son is 18 and in college full time, he gets EMA of £30 a week, he has never been in debt and is very sensible with his money. He has tried to get a mobile phone with Orange and was refused, I told him it is because he has no credit rating. He doesnt want a credit card, he said he doesnt want to get in debt.
How can he build a credit rating without getting into debt?
Any help would be appreciated, he has never applied for anything in his life until he tried the mobile phone contract.
He just wants a phone on a contract that he can afford.

Comments

• is he on the electoral register?the easiest way of getting credit is to have or have had credit,sad but true,he may have to try payg meanwhile,asda being the cheapest at 8pmin and 4p a txt,does he have any other income apart from esa?,if not then until he does credit will remain a problem.
  • Dreamnine
    Dreamnine Posts: 8,370 Forumite
    What's wrong with a PAYG? Cheaper, probably if you use skype.
    I shot a vein in my neck and coughed up a Quaalude.
    Lou Reed The Last Shot
  • Jakg
    Jakg Posts: 2,265 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    How can he build a credit rating without getting into debt?

Why does having a credit card mean you have to get into debt? ALL credit products (even phone contracts) could let you go into debt if you didn't pay.

With nothing on my credit report but the electoral roll I was still accepted for a phone contract 15 minutes after I turned 18.
    Nothing I say represents any past, present or future employer.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,088 Forumite
    Apply for a credit card, then set the limit to something minimal like £250. Getting a card will help future credit scoring.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • JAKG which company did you go with?
    My son is ultra careful and hates credit cards not everyone wants them.
    Thank you all for your help, he is on the electrol register we moved into our new home a month ago maybe thats where the problem is.
  • Jakg
    Jakg Posts: 2,265 Forumite
    CapitalOne mega-uber rubbish card, aka Classic - http://www.capitalone.co.uk/creditcards/classic-credit-card.jsf

My credit score (at the time) was nothing - I was on the electoral role and then applied for a phone contract (accepted) on the 23rd (i.e. the day I was 18), and then on the 27th I applied for the CC and was accepted (albeit with a £100 limit).
    Nothing I say represents any past, present or future employer.
  • markfj
    markfj Posts: 519 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    When I was 19 I had trouble buying my car because of this too,
    so I had to get a loan out in my mums name and pay her back and eventually take the loan over to build my rating, since then my rating must be good as I had a mortgage at 21

0% credit card is a good idea to, just pay as you spend
  • maxtweenie
    maxtweenie Posts: 1,302 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    markfj wrote: »
    When I was 19 I had trouble buying my car because of this too,
    so I had to get a loan out in my mums name and pay her back and eventually take the loan over to build my rating, since then my rating must be good as I had a mortgage at 21

0% credit card is a good idea to, just pay as you spend

If you've got no credit history, there's no way you'll get a 0% credit card. More like 30% APR
  • talkalot
    talkalot Posts: 218 Forumite
    The other option is to apply for a CC use it wisely for a couple of months eg pay of the full bill. This will help your score. Try then for another contract. If your successful then there is no reason why cant just cancel the card or just cut it up. Orange must have tightened up their credit scoring. I completed a IVA last year eg my credit score was :( . Orange were quite happy to give me a contract.
  • markfj
    markfj Posts: 519 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    maxtweenie wrote: »
    If you've got no credit history, there's no way you'll get a 0% credit card. More like 30% APR

Yes, sorry I didnt mean that as an inital way to get a credit rating just in general...

The only way I could do it is how I metnioned above, I was offered a loan for my car by Bank.. 27% interest, clearly I said no

My mum got a loan at around %6 interest, I paid her every month, until I could take loan over and built it like that

Also, as mentioned above, double check he is on the electrol role, I vote every year and for some reason i wasnt on there, hence why I couldnt get finance on car initially
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure