PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Buying a house and school.

Comments

• Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,803 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Let us know which area. It's possible one of us knows it.

I've always made the decision to drive the kids to the best schools we can. It's at it's worst now with DS at college and DD at grammar some 30 mipes apart! DS turned 17 yesterday, so that problem will be resolved soon.

There will be more than 2 schools nearby. In my area, the outstanding label is a dangerous one. I'm a governor and I've heard warning about a local outstanding primary. Under the current government, if you have an outstanding rating you don't have Ofsted inspections for a ridiculous amount of time. The outstanding primary just had one after about 7 years and was put straight into special measures!

Good and improving is where you want your kids to be for a passionate teaching staff. Go and visit schools, talk to the head directly, get a feel for the school.

You're in a good position at Year 2. There will be some really good schools with a free spot. It doesn't have to be the one outstanding one.

For secondary, kids travel a long way using the Green Bus for the grammar schools. If you're actually in Birmingham, you're onto a winner there!
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • JuzaMum
    JuzaMum Posts: 658 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler I've been Money Tipped!
    My daughter is number 10 on the list out of over 30 - she was No.9 but has moved down :(. We are 0.6 of a mile away.
  • I am also a school govener and would not look at ofsted solely.

I actually put my own kids into a 3 rated school with a new headteacher because I liked the feel of the school and her attitude. 2 years later and the headteacher replacing most of the staff as they didn't meet her standards the School is now grade 2 and impoving.

My Daughter attended an outstanding pre-school whcih was frankly appallnig - The owner would take holidays at short notice for 2/52 and close random days!

I have choosen a 2 rated pre-school for my youngest son again based on impression of the place

Intrestingly we have changed the admissions policy from closest to school to lottery of applicants per band to stop parents 'buying' their way in
  • My daughters' school is currently is special measures. I feel it is a far, far better, more rounded school which is a better 'fit' for the girls than their old, outstanding school which emphasised competition and was very exclusive.
    Go and see the schools. Ofsted only takes a snapshot. There's a lot of action in 7 years of primary and 7 years of secondary education. Oh, and if you end up with a school which you are not convinced about, see if you can join the governors. Trust me, it is an eye opener to issues that schools face!
  • If you are going to stay put for a long while I would say it doesn't matter as much as if you are going to move within the next 5 years. Obviously education is a big thing however if you ensure you help with homework, and assist in the education of your child at home then the school shouldn't matter as much. If they are on special measures it's probably a big warning sign but read the ofstead report and decide.

If you are wanting to move again soon, the fact there are no decent schools around is a big deal because people really do make sales decisions based on schools.

Good luck
  • IAmWales
    IAmWales Posts: 2,024 Forumite
    edited 15 September 2017 at 10:22AM
    ric you need to check the admissions criteria for the particular school you are interested in. They may well be different to those quoted earlier. As an example, some will prioritise those from a certain faith, some no longer prioritise for a sibling connection (this causes all sorts of problems, but can free up places where older children are moved when their younger siblings start school), and a few still prioritise certain pre schools and (for secondary) primary schools. These can differ within the same area, so be sure to check you have the correct information.

I'd disagree on focusing on secondary. A good primary will give a child the basics that set them up for later education, arriving at secondary below par means you'll always be playing catch up. (Good in a general sense, not some arbitrary Ofsted report.)
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    IAmWales wrote: »

I'd disagree on focusing on secondary. A good primary will give a child the basics that set them up for later education, arriving at secondary below par means you'll always be playing catch up. (Good in a general sense, not some arbitrary Ofsted report.)

I'm pleased to see someone else here with some appreciation of what primary schools set out to do and the importance of the early years.

I was beginning to think from previous comments that I'd just spent half my life as little more than a child minder!

Primaries do much more than just 'the basics' when the situation allows.

Of course, the secondary school matters, but matters more? In the eyes of those who see education as a product, rather than a process, it probably does, but there's a significant link between performance at entry and attainment later in those GCSEs and A levels.

Yes, a good secondary will help a child to catch-up. Too often, however, a matter that needs addressing is why progress tails-off for huge numbers of children in the early secondary years, not how they can make up for primary school inadequacies. That's a different debate, though!
  • bouicca21
    bouicca21 Posts: 6,512 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 15 September 2017 at 1:52PM
    Schools have lives. What one is like today is no guarantee of what it will be like tomorrow let alone in 5 years time. They can be outstanding and then fail, and vice versa. A school that I know of was known to be poorly performing when my children were younger, it then got a new head and was turned round in no time. Fast forward, another new head and the place is sinking again.

A school with high results may nevertheless be failing its pupils because the basis of selection means they should do even better. A school with poor results may be achieving fantastic results for pupils who were never expected to get anywhere.

What matters is the fit between your child and the school.
  • Which area are you looking at in Birmingham? Are you moving into Birmingham, or is your child already at a Birmingham school but in a different area?
    We moved out of Birmingham but kept our kids in their school as it fitted in with our commute. There's a lot of options available to you and probably people on here with experiences of the area you're looking at.
  • SingleSue
    SingleSue Posts: 11,699 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Davesnave wrote: »
    I'm pleased to see someone else here with some appreciation of what primary schools set out to do and the importance of the early years.

I was beginning to think from previous comments that I'd just spent half my life as little more than a child minder!

Primaries do much more than just 'the basics' when the situation allows.

Of course, the secondary school matters, but matters more? In the eyes of those who see education as a product, rather than a process, it probably does, but there's a significant link between performance at entry and attainment later in those GCSEs and A levels.

Yes, a good secondary will help a child to catch-up. Too often, however, a matter that needs addressing is why progress tails-off for huge numbers of children in the early secondary years, not how they can make up for primary school inadequacies. That's a different debate, though!

It was thanks to an excellent junior school that my middle son was able (albeit with a huge amount of support), to go to a mainstream high school. They worked tirelessly with both youngest and me to ensure he stayed within mainstream education and never ever gave up on him adopting all different strategies until they found one which worked (part time attendance until part way through year 6, different time arrivals and departures etc).

Without their determination and hard work, I wouldn't be dropping youngest off for his start at university tomorrow.
    We made it! All three boys have graduated, it's been hard work but it shows there is a possibility of a chance of normal (ish) life after a diagnosis (or two) of ASD. It's not been the easiest route but I am so glad I ignored everything and everyone and did my own therapies with them.
    Eldests' EDS diagnosis 4.5.10, mine 13.1.11 eekk - now having fun and games as a wheelchair user.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure