Get a grip !

Comments

• Skint_yet_Again
    Skint_yet_Again Posts: 7,564 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Thank goodness its Friday.

Lovely sunny afternoon managed to get some washing out and have been for a walk and seen the first baby moorhens on the pond little ball of fluff with a red beak.

Bad news about the NHS Cyber Attack - that'll be my file lost then knowing my luck.

Have sorted some more paperwork and found my mortgage statement. Good news is I have managed in the past to make some overpayments so I have an overpayment reserve in case the worst should happen and I cant pay my mortgage payment for over a year.

Bad news is the redemption date is Oct 2030 - I will be 62 :eek:However that will only be if I'm still in this house by then which is unlikely as I intend to downsize once DS has left home. A lot can change in 13 years.
    0% credit card £1360 & 0% Car Loan £7500 ~ paid in full JAN 2020 = NOW DEBT FREE 🤗
    House sale OCT 2022 = NOW MORTGAGE FREE 🤗
    House purchase completed FEB 2023 🥳🍾 Left work. 🤗

Retired at 55 & now living off the equity £10k a year (until pensions start at 60 & 67).

Previous Savings diary https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/5597938/get-a-grip/p1

Living off savings diary
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6429003/escape-to-the-country-living-off-savings/p1
  • Skint_yet_Again
    edited 13 May 2017 at 9:06AM
    Good Morning ! :)

It looks like we have had rain in the night but it is just starting to brighten up and the forecast is for sun later. My garden is looking happier for the water. Forget-me-nots have survived being transplanted and the dianthus has a pink bud on it .. exciting and glad they only cost a total of £2 :D

I have checked my emails and online banking this morning. I came downstairs for a cup of tea and whilst the kettle boiled I loaded the dishwasher and switched it on and ironed a couple of DS's Tshirts that didn't need much, just a quick press.

Just so I don't get tempted to sit around all day :o here are my plans for the rest of today

1. iron another couple of items from last wash & put all away.
    2. at least one load of washing to do plus towels and hang it out Suns out towels are in machine
    3. cook some veggies for DS lunch & dinner this morning to take to work. I made burgers the other day and pulled gammon yesterday so he just needs some rice & potatoes & veggies to go with them - Done - all cooked just cooling now don't need to cook rice as he has microwave pouches 49p in aldi
    4. eat from stores - I will have eggs for breakfast, some of the pulled gammon on wraps for lunch and spicy buffalo chicken wings to cook for tea.
    5. go for a walk
    6. pop round to see friend this afternoon for cuppa
    7. more paperwork sorting & shredding
    8. get a bag of chicken breasts out of the freezer to defrost for meals tomorrow & lunch on Monday. Done
    9. cut grass if it stays dry enough

Right, that little lot should keep me busy, hoping for a NSD.
    0% credit card £1360 & 0% Car Loan £7500 ~ paid in full JAN 2020 = NOW DEBT FREE 🤗

Retired at 55 & now living off the equity £10k a year (until pensions start at 60 & 67).

Previous Savings diary https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/5597938/get-a-grip/p1

Living off savings diary
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6429003/escape-to-the-country-living-off-savings/p1
  • savingwannabe
    savingwannabe Posts: 16,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I hope you are enjoying the weather. You have done so much. Well done.
    Aiming for a minimal spend 2022
  • Skint_yet_Again
    edited 13 May 2017 at 6:15PM
    Hi SW hope you had a good day too. I always wake early in the morning whether its a working day or not so I thought I might as well get on and do something because I always crash about 3pm.

I got 2 loads of washing done and dried. The weather has been lovely. I had 2 boiled eggs for breakfast and found some bread in the freezer so I made some soldiers too :D I cant remember the last time I had that. DS went to work at 1pm with the food I cooked earlier. Unloaded and reloaded the dishwasher.

I popped to see my friend who lives in the next road for a cuppa and a chat and then cut the grass when I got back. I dug up a few big weeds first that have come up in the lawn, not sure what they are but they were all the same plant, sort of fern-like. Cant afford weed and feed at the moment. One of the plastic blades broke just as I started the mower, but it still cut ok with one just vibrated and made a helluva noise !! I will need to buy some more before the next cut.

Then I crashed on the sofa and had a snooze :o was very stiff and sore when I woke up so I went for a 20min walk in the evening sun. Didn't get any paperwork sorted or finish the ironing, that can wait for tomorrow with the hoovering which will also need doing !

Am trying to resist ordering in Chinese this evening :o My wages have gone up by £10 a month due to the national tax code change in April which I hadn't realised so I do have a spare £10........ ;)

Living off savings diary
  • Skint_yet_Again
    Good Morning - its a lovely sunny Sunday here & blue skies hardly any clouds :)

I woke early and was looking online at plastic blades for my hover mower. The last ones I bought were a couple of years ago and are now £4 for 6 in b&q. However I found some online 20 for just over £2 with free p&p. I will check the correct model later when I go out to the shed but will save a few pounds and every little helps :D

Then I fell back to sleep and had a lie in :j
    Plans for today

1. unload and re-load the dishwasher
    2. DS off to work later he can have pulled gammon & salad wraps to take with him (gammon already cooked)
    3. food for me from stores - couple slices bacon left in fridge, tin tuna & salad for lunch & will have to think of something to make with the remaining chicken breasts for us both for dinner.
    4. Shopping tomorrow - need to make a list
    5 hoover downstairs & rest of ironing (only a few bits still to do) & put away
    6. at least one load of washing if it stays dry outside

It doesn't look as windy today so I am hoping to put my sun parasol up and sit in the garden and read a book this afternoon.:cool:

Living off savings diary
  • savingwannabe
    Morning. It rained here last night but is gorgeous now so I am finding anything that needs washing and making the most of it before the weather changes too. Then I am doing chores like you. The weather will help us I think as it makes the day nicer. Waiting for builder to arrive and I can move the furniture today hopefully.

Have a good day.:beer:
  • bobobski
    bobobski Posts: 771 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Steak for breakfast?? That almost makes me want to start working out!! I'm sure you're much better in the kitchen than I am, but in case you hadn't heard of it I thought I'd share an idea for broccoli. It must be frozen - it's about £1 per bag and that'll do 2-3 big servings. Put the frozen broccoli in a pan with some oil and turn it up to medium-high heat. The broccoli cooks in the ice that's on it from being frozen, then gets slightly fried so it's a bit crunchy even though it's cooked. It's so delicious. I eat it with some carrots cooked with oil and thyme, rice and peas.

Your comment about gravity and Charlie Dimmock made me literally laugh out loud. I watched the final episode of the latest series of It's Always Sunny yesterday and there's a great line in there: "And finally, all women's Achilles heel: time".

Excellent find on the plastic blades - very MSE of you :money:

I'm having a similar day to both of you - cleaning the last wall in my bedroom (if I can move the wardrobe by myself, that is), hoovering, cleaning the kitchen etc. I still need to go into town but I hate shopping so much...!
  • Skint_yet_Again
    Thanks for the broccoli recipe bobobski will have to try that. DS eats 2-3 bags of frozen broccoli a week for breakfast, lunch and dinner. He is a lazy cook and will just put it in a microwave pot with a bit of water and put the lid on only takes about 6 minutes.
    We also like fresh broccoli and for dinner I sometimes roast it on a tray with peppers, courgettes, mushrooms, butternut squash & onions sprayed with 1 cal / frylight

I managed to do all my jobs except hoovering, which will have to wait for another day. I washed DS's bedding whilst he was out at volunteer job. The wind picked up and dried it really quickly so I remade it for him. He's just got home and gone to bed for a few hours then we will have dinner later before he goes on night shift at 10pm.

I went for a walk this afternoon as it was too windy to sit in the garden. I got some nandos cook and coat peri-peri sauce for dinner from co-op for 99p & some Yorkshire tea bags on offer £2.

I have arranged to go out with a friend next week to use the Toby 2 carvery meals for £10 voucher so I'm looking forward to a nice roast cooked by someone else !

Living off savings diary
  • savingwannabe
    OMG you did loads. I spent the whole day doing housework and did my 'work' work outside in garden. Make sure you rest before work and well done to pay rise and the idea of the carvery sounds lovely. :j

I hate broccoli except when it is raw. I will try Bobobski's recipe though soon as it might make me like it cooked.
  • Skint_yet_Again
    Haha I slept half the day SW ;) and napped for an hour and a half after my walk :o Do a bit, sleep a bit is my motto :p

Trip to Pound land after work today as lightbulb had blown in kitchen. I have a ceiling fan with 3 light bulbs over the dining room table but as we don't really use the table I only ever have one bulb at a time to save money. They have a sale in £1 land and everything is 90p :rotfl: so I got a pack of 2 bulbs 90p, oust air freshener 90p, standup toothpaste tubes 2 x 90p and some plasters 90p total £4.50 saved 50p !

Then popped to aldi and spent £52.88 which included some toiletries / cleaning stuff too (deodorant, shampoo, kitchen roll, anti-bac wipes, washing-up liquid).

total £224.28 / £320

I will need to buy more meat / steak on Friday to last over the weekend

Its grey and raining here. I bought some lean diced beef and a madras curry sauce and will make beef and veg curry in the oven for dinner and will batch cook some chicken breasts whilst the oven is on.

Living off savings diary
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback