PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Meal for two for 50p. Suggestions?

Options

Comments

• LizEstelle
    LizEstelle Posts: 1,559 Forumite
    Options
    LJM wrote:
    beans on toast doesnt sound much of a meal but i find it quite filling

Nothing at all wrong with beans on toast. It's quite healthy and nutritious, especially if you tweak it a bit by using wholemeal bread and the low salt/sugar beans.

You can make it into another showstopper by adding a touch of curry powder, some grated cheese and other possibilities.
  • jcr16
    jcr16 Posts: 4,185 Forumite
    Options
    jacket potato and bean's. have no idea on cost. but can't be much.

i make a huge bulk batch of chilli , and by doing this i think it works out at 13p a portion. so could have that with rice or jacket spud or on a tortilla crisps ( tesco value 19p) ok not the healthiest of options but great a comfort meal.

any left over pancakes from a previous pudding , can be filled and served with jacket spud or on their own. the filling can be as cheap or expensive as needed. sometimes i just fill with bakes bean's. yummy. but onion,beansprouts,pepper,mushrooms and carrot make a great filling.

sorry not good at doing the costing tonight. maybe i'll try and work it out in a bit and post it up.
  • LizEstelle
    LizEstelle Posts: 1,559 Forumite
    Options
    jcr16 wrote:
    jacket potato and bean's. have no idea on cost. but can't be much.

i make a huge bulk batch of chilli , and by doing this i think it works out at 13p a portion. so could have that with rice or jacket spud or on a tortilla crisps ( tesco value 19p) ok not the healthiest of options but great a comfort meal.

any left over pancakes from a previous pudding , can be filled and served with jacket spud or on their own. the filling can be as cheap or expensive as needed. sometimes i just fill with bakes bean's. yummy. but onion,beansprouts,pepper,mushrooms and carrot make a great filling.

sorry not good at doing the costing tonight. maybe i'll try and work it out in a bit and post it up.

Hey unfair! I posted that one (or something like it) higher up! You're quite right though. Jacket potato in various forms one of the best meals going. I await the other costings with interest.
  • TKP_3
    TKP_3 Posts: 522 Forumite
    Options
    LizEstelle wrote:
    Nothing at all wrong with beans on toast. It's quite healthy and nutritious, especially if you tweak it a bit by using wholemeal bread and the low salt/sugar beans.

You can make it into another showstopper by adding a touch of curry powder, some grated cheese and other possibilities.

A dash of Lea & Perrins in beans goes down a treat!
    Save the earth, it's the only planet with chocolate! :)
  • RainbowsInTheSpray
    Options
    Seems to me the posters have proved beyond doubt that 2 people can have their main meals for a week for £4 or less - which means a family of four could do it for £10. So how much extra would breakfast and lunch add?

How many times do you hear people bleating on about not POSSIBLY being able to feed their family for under £50 per week..?
  • jcr16
    jcr16 Posts: 4,185 Forumite
    Options
    i think it is very possible. but the supermarkets have a great way of showing items that u really don't want or need. but they end up in trolley. maybe the supermarkets are to easy.

years ago my mum said u would go to one shop for veg , one for meat , one for bread etc. the option for buying the crap wasn't their. so alot easier.

or is it just me that has real probs sticking to my shopping list unless i shop online
  • flufff
    flufff Posts: 899 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    You then have to add on milk,tea,coffee,drinks,cereal,bread,sugar.If you have kids you cant deny them odd biscuit after school.Then petfood.It soon adds up.
    It isnt dinners that are so expensive just everything inbetween.School holidays are a killer trying to feed hungry kids.My milk bill is just over a pound everyday with 4 kids.I cant and wont cut that back.We could easily use more.Thats £7 alone.
  • UniqueEarthling
    Options
    flufff wrote:
    You then have to add on milk,tea,coffee,drinks,cereal,bread,sugar.If you have kids you cant deny them odd biscuit after school.Then petfood.It soon adds up.
    It isnt dinners that are so expensive just everything inbetween.School holidays are a killer trying to feed hungry kids.My milk bill is just over a pound everyday with 4 kids.I cant and wont cut that back.We could easily use more.Thats £7 alone.

I drink my coffee (any old cheap stuff) black with no sugar.
    My kids are lucky because they have breakfast club (free) in their school.
    If they are thirsty I tell them there's water in the tap.
    I have no pets.
    I never buy biscuits or cakes (they love it when Grandma visits cos she always brings treats :D )

So, where on earth does my money go :rotfl:
  • thriftlady_2
    Options
    MushyPeas wrote:

OP: courgettes are v. expensive where I live, they'd push the meal over 50p :(
    That's 'cos they're a summer veg. Substitute something local and seasonal- diced parsnips/carrots ? Economical cooking is all about making the best use of the ingredients that are cheap for you ;)
  • RainbowsInTheSpray
    Options
    Sorry but I just DON'T agree that 'all the rest' adds up to over £50 a week. If people are so daft as to be taken in by supermarket 'offers' on branded products then that's their look-out. Just have slightly larger main meals and do away with all the dubious 'in-beteens' which lead to unhealthy diet.

I'll tell you what leads to over £50/wk for a family of 4: it's all the 'let's just stop off at the chip shop' and 'how about a ready meal in front of the telly'-itis.

Pathetic. People with little willpower, less common sense and total, uncaring gormlessness about what saving £10 a week can add up to. Presumably, these types simply care more about putting their feet up than they do about their children's health or saving to invest in their family's future. I can see no other explanation.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure