Budget Wars - A New Hope (with apologies to George Lucas)

Comments

• Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,306
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Hi Bob,

I know what you mean about a support. I don't talk to my husband about the big things that bother me because he has his own pressures and my anger/frustration used to make him look like a rabbit in the headlights. Over the years I have had two or three work-based friends and we used to do a bit of mutual venting, getting it off our chests to each other. I had a mentor for a while as well - no answers, just lots of "why" questions and "have you considered...?" questions so I sorted it out myself. Maybe your local chamber of commerce has something similar?
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 16.02% spent or £480.73/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • Hi Bob,

Been AWOL a bit due to the holidays, thought I'd pop in and say hello :wave:

Hope you, Mr Bob and the Bobettes are ok?? Xx
  • Hi Bob. I've just caught up with your diary after being AWOL and was so sorry to read of the difficulties you have been having. I really can't think of anything useful to add to all the wonderful comments that your virtual friends have posted. This shouldn't be happening to such a lovely thoughtful person who always has such positive helpful comments for others on the site. I do hope things improve and you will be back soon.

:grouphug:

SSG x
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016 🌟
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017
    🌟
    RETIRED: MAY 2021!!!!😀🎆
    My diary: “Seasidegal's Scrimpy Retirement Diary!”
  • kirtsypoos
    kirtsypoos Posts: 3,824
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Cashback Cashier
    Forumite
    I'm just here to saw I'm echoing everyone else and hope that everything is ok for you Bob, we miss you! x
    :j PAID VERY, Barclaycard x3, Vanquis, Natwest, O/D, Tesco & MBNA x2 PAID :j LBM 24/07/15 - Original Debt: £0/31010.23 (100% paid) :eek:
    Mortgage - £151.316.54 :eek:
  • Thinking of you Bob and how you and the family are getting on.
  • Just popping in to say Hi - Hope things have been better and that all is well?
    NOA
    x
    Feb2014 Total unsecured debt £72,520>>01/06/16 £68166>01/02/17 £66,600=8.18%PAID
    Mortgage Jan14=209,800 Jan15=£200,300 Jan17£180,700>OCT17 £170,200
    Health/Fitness Challenges Priority#1 Stay Fit and healthy - whatever it takes:)
    Wombling Free Cash May2016 £51
  • Hope things have improved Bob x
  • Hey Bob :D
    Hoping you're alright bud
    BUGGRITMILLENIUMHANDANDSHRIMP I TOLD EM! - Foul Ole Ron
    It is important that we know where we come from, because if you do not know where you come from, then you do not know where you are, and if you don't know where you are, then you don't know where you are going. If you don't know where you're going, you're probably going wrong.
    R.I.P. T.P.
  • Bobarella
    Bobarella Posts: 10,824
    Savvy Shopper! I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Hi Guys

Thanks for checking in, I hope everyone is doing well.

So, one thing that is ongoing and may be a very good turn of events is, I was cold called the other week by a company of surveyors. They started into an obvious script all about why I should allow them to come and do a no fee look at my place with the view to getting the rates reduced. I was very tempted to just say no and put the phone down, considering I have already appealed my rates and been told they were not going to go down massively. And had my hardship relief request rejected too.

Anyway I thought, what the heck. They come out, look at your place and if they can get it under the current threshold for exemption they will.

They came out a fortnight ago and within about 2 minutes of being in there the surveyor had found an obvious error, which I wouldnt have ever thought of myself. This gave him the confidence that should we appeal again they could kick the rate under the £12,000 rates mark.

Anyway, they have to do it all through the government gateway, so its all transparent for both parties. If they got a yes to their appeal on the portal, then they would send someone out to do a formal survey, at a cost of £795, plus you have to pay them 10% of any rebate on rates you have already paid that year. But, and this is golden, you are then exempt from rates for 5 years! this means I'd be saving around £200 a month for every month in that period.

I have still got a couple of hoops to jump through before I actually believe this is going to happen. But it is still a bit of hope after a very rough time.

Overall, things are difficult. We haven't made the ends meet since June. That's 4 months of very difficult times.

I had a thing today that is another of the too good to be true variety, I think Im very jaded about the possibility of things making a sudden turn for the better. But we'll see.

My husband and I have pretty much decided that he would take a week off work via holiday if I am able to get some temp work so we dont then loose all the money on childcare.

If I can get something then that might be enough to try and halt the trouble we are falling into each month.

Fingers crossed!

Bob
    " Your vibe attracts your tribe":D

Debt neutral :) 27/03/17 from £40k:eek: in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £56.58 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1900 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
  • Good luck and I hope to see a post in the near future about your successes :)
    Lost is a lovely place to find yourself.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure