PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Recipe Collection Thread (recipe board)

Comments

• squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    There are lots of of [mostly tomato and something] sauces out there for pasta - and zillions of others nominally meant for something else.

Ingredients:

Enough pasta for 4 generous helpings
    One jar of any sauce you like
    Some cheese [optional]

Instructions:

Cook the pasta for a couple of minutes short of the instructions on the pack.

Drain the pasta, put it back in the pot, and stir in the sauce to coat the pasta well. This should be coating - not swimming in the stuff. Sizzle gently for three or four minutes.

Optionally, top each serving with grated or thinly sliced cheese and melt under grill or in microwave.

Reduce quantities and use as a starter.

There ya go - ONE ZILLION RECIPES IN A SINGLE POST :)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • crazyhazy
    crazyhazy Posts: 316 Forumite
    This was a scottish slimmers recipe I picked up, very tasty, could also make your own cheese sauce.

mushrooms chopped
    onion chopped
    celery chopped
    packet of cheese sauce
    enough pasta for 2
    tin of tuna
    bag of light crisps

microwave the onion and celery for a min to soften
    cook pasta
    make up cheese sauce and add veg, tuna and pasta
    put in casserole dish and cover with crisps, put in the oven until piping hot, about 10 mins.
    Total Debt (27th Nov 08) £16,707.03 Now £5,102.72
    Debt Free Date [strike]Nov 2012[/strike] August 2011
  • crazyhazy
    crazyhazy Posts: 316 Forumite
    Another scottish slimmers recipe -

2 turkey rashers
    mushrooms
    parmesan cheese
    spaghetti
    1 egg
    onion

Grill turkey rashers
    Cook spaghetti
    Add onion, mushrooms and spaghetti to frying pan
    mix egg and add to pan
    chop turkey rashers and add to pan
    once egg is cooked, serve and sprinkle with parmesan cheese
    Total Debt (27th Nov 08) £16,707.03 Now £5,102.72
    Debt Free Date [strike]Nov 2012[/strike] August 2011
  • Allexie
    Allexie Posts: 3,460 Forumite
    The best meal in the whole wide world. (imho!)
    • A small pack (approx. 3/4 oz, 18 g) of dried porcini mushrooms
    • 2 tbsp. olive oil
    • A knob of butter
    • 1 medium onion, finely chopped
    • 1 stick of celery, finely chopped
    • 1 cup (5½ oz, 165 g) arborio or carnaroli rice
    • 4 - 6 brown cap or chestnut mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
    • Approx 12 fl oz hot vegetable stock
    • Couple of glugs of sherry/madeira or red wine
    • Parmesan cheese, (fresh pukka stuff) 3 ozs grated + shavings
    • Few basil leaves for 'garnish' (hate that word!)
    Start by putting the dried mushrooms in a bowl and covering with warm water. Leave to stand for about half an hour. Remove mushrooms and chop quite finely. Strain and reserve the soaking liquid.

Heat the oil and butter in the pan. Add the onions and celery. Cook for five minutes.

Add the chestnut mushrooms and the porcini mushrooms and cook for another five minutes.

Stir in the rice. Cook gently for a few more minutes until the individual rice grains are coated with the oil. Now prepare to stand by your cooker for the next twenty minutes or so!

Add the soaking liquid and the sherry/madeira or red wine and stir. Bring to the boil and simmer gently. As the liquid is absorbed, add a little of the stock. Keep stirring. When you've made risotto a few times you get to recognise the sound when it needs more! The stock needs to be kept hot, say in another pan on the cooker. Continue to simmer.

Proceed in this way, adding a little stock at a time, until the rice is tender (about 20 minutes). Add stock as necessary to prevent the mixture from getting too dry.

Add grated parmesan and more stock if necessary. Keep stirring for another two to three mins. The finished result should be gloopy and runny as the Italians do it and not stiff.

Serve with shavings of parmesan on top along with a few torn basil leaves.

Serves two and is luvverly with a nice glass of chilled Pinot Grigio. winko22.gif
    ♥♥♥ Genius - 1% inspiration and 99% doing what your mother told you. ♥♥♥

• squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Made almost like bog standard custard - but not quite. Goes very well with chocolate and/or orange sponge, and with rhubarb pie :)

Ingredients:

1/2 pint of water
    3 dessert spoons sugar
    1/4 bottle of lemon juice approx (the 250ml ones)
    2 tablespoons milk powder
    1 heaped dessert spoon custard powder

Instructions:

Pour most of the water into a pan, add the sugar and the lemon juice and set to boil.

In a mixing/jug/bowl/container put the remaining water and then add the milk powder and the custard powder and mix well.

When the water boils, pour into the mixing/jug/bowl/container and quickly stir well.

You can make this with milk but it is likely to curdle - that's why the water and milk powder. If it curdles - don't bin it - just whisk it really well.
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • Allexie
    [font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Serves 4 [/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Rhubarb - 450g, cut in 2.5 cm (1 inch) pieces
    Few strawberries - about 6-8 depending on size
    Granulated sugar - 75-100g (3-4 oz)
    Plain flour - 175g (6 oz)
    Butter - 75g (3 oz)
    Caster sugar - 50g (2 oz)

Method
    Pre-heat oven to 190 °C / 375 °F / Gas 5.

Put the fruit into a 1.1 litre (2 pint) oven-proof dish in layers with granulated sugar.

Sift the flour into a bowl.

Rub butter into flour until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.

Stir in the caster sugar.

Sprinkle the crumble mixture thickly and evenly over the fruit.

Press down lightly with palm of hand then smooth the top with a knife.

Bake for 15 minutes.

Reduce temperature to 180 °C / 350 °F / Gas 4.

Cook for a further 45 minutes or until top is lightly brown.

Praps serve with squeaky's lemon custard!

(I often make this with strawberries that I've frozen when there is a glut of them in summer. Just bung them in whilst still frozen)
    [/font]

• Pal
    Pal Posts: 2,076 Forumite
    Easy lunch:

Get a small, good quality, boxed camembert cheese and some really fresh bread.

Remove the cheese from its wrapping, !!!!!! the top a few times with a knife and add a few drops of wine so that it soaks in. You can also rub garlic on it if you like. Put the lid back on the box, and bake for 25 minutes.

Put the cheese in the middle of the table and eat by dipping the buttered bread into the melted cheese.

Great with pickles, salad and olives.
  • Ticklemouse
    Ticklemouse Posts: 5,030
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Easy peasy and cheap, for those of you who have asked for this recipe.

Ingredients:

Piece of Brisket
    Onions
    Assorted veggies to taste
    Stock/seasoning

Brown brisket in frying pan (not always necessary but some people have had dissappointing results by not doing so.

Place on top of pre-prepared sliced onions and veggies of your choice - typically potatoes, carrots, parsnips, swede, mushrooms etc. I just use onions and mushrooms and sometimes potatoes. Make sure root veg are cut small.

Pour over seasoning and stock or even just hot water. Add a glug of wine or worcestershire sauce if wanted. Put lid on and cook on low all day in slow-cooker or for a 2-3 hours on a low heat in oven.

Basically, add what you want in the way of veg and seasoning. Lots of fluid in the crock pot makes delish gravy and doesn't leave meat too soggy either.
  • tiff
    tiff Posts: 6,608
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Savvy Shopper!
    Forumite
    For spag bol I use

450g (1lb) mince
    tin tomatoes
    tomato puree
    1 garlic clove
    mushrooms
    onion
    stock cube
    dried mixed herbs

Brown the mince, onion and garlic together. Add tin toms, tom puree, stock cube, sprinkling of mixed herbs and mushrooms. Put the lid on until cooked. If its too runny keep the lid off for ten minutes to reduce a bit.

I just do it from memory, so dont have specific measurements for herbs, I just add more if I think it needs it.
    “A budget is telling your money where to go instead of wondering where it went.” - Dave Ramsey
  • Allexie
    225g (8oz) Dates, chopped
    Finely grated rind and juice of one orange
    100g (4oz) margarine
    175g (6oz) soft light brown sugar
    100g (4oz) wholewheat flour
    175g (6oz) rolled oats

Set oven to 180 C, 350 F, Gas 4

Place the dates in a pan with the orange rind. Measure the orange juice and make it up to 100ml (4 fl oz) with water. Add to the dates and cook slowly til the mixture is soft and pulpy.

Blend the margarine with the remaining ingredients and press half in the base of a lightly greased 18cm (7") square tin. Spread over the date mixture, sprinkle over the remaining oat mixture and press down lightly.

Bake for 35-40 mins, then allow to cool in the tin. When cold cut into 16 squares.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport