How much to run an elec fire and hallogen heater?

Lady_K
Lady_K Posts: 4,429 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker
My heatings not going to be working over winter and I'm using a 3 bar elec fire and a hallogen heater that has 3 levels 400w 800w and 2400w. Does anyone know how much these will cost to run as I'm getting a bit worried about the elec bill?
Thanx

Lady_K

Comments

• Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Assuming electricity at 10p a unit(kWh) the 3 bar fire* will cost 30p an hour to run(with all 3 bars on)
    The halogen heater will cost 4p/8p/24p an hour on each setting.**

* most bars are 1kw.
    ** most 3 bar fires and halogen heaters do not have a thermostat so are on all the time.
  • Lady_K
    Lady_K Posts: 4,429 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thanx thats very helpfull. It doesnt sound a lot but it will add up I'll just have to watch how they are used. I'm on economy 7 too so the times when its on in the day I'll be paying a bit more for anyway

Thinking about it the elec fire gives out a lot more heat than the hallogen even when its on full thewy are long bars not little ones so it actually may work out a bit cheaoper running the elec fire on less bars
    Thanx

Lady_K
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Actually with electric heating nothing 'works out a bit cheaper' than anything else.
    Electric heating is 100% efficient so 'you pays for what you gets'!

Halogen heaters are better if you sit in front of them because they direct the heat at you. However they are no cheaper or more expensive than any other electric heating.

If you are on E7(and won't get storage heating) you might find oil filled radiators better to heat up on E7 as they retain heat longer.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure