smoker at work

Options
I work in very close proximity to someone who is quite a heavy smoker. They come in early and basically spend the first 2 hours outside smoking, Now they have started "vapping" whilst they are actually working. they have the thing in their hand almost all the time and whilst i have made the odd comment to them its done nothing and im now thinking of taking it further. I dont see why i or anyone else should be subjected to it when there is a designated smoking area outside.

Comments

• Torry_Quine
    Torry_Quine Posts: 18,834 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    Only your employer can help with this. They may be allowed to vape at work and don't consider the need to go to a smoking area when they aren't actually smoking.
    Lost my soulmate so life is empty.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
  • Muscle750
    Muscle750 Posts: 1,075 Forumite
    Options
    OK - thanks for letting us know.

no probs hope you can sleep alot easier for it
  • pogofish
    pogofish Posts: 10,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Vaping isn't smoking and has next to none of the issues associated with passive smoking, so what's your problem?
  • boliston
    boliston Posts: 3,012 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I would rather have the smell of ordinary cigarettes than those awful sweet "vaping" smells any day.
  • xapprenticex
    xapprenticex Posts: 1,760 Forumite
    edited 14 March 2017 at 8:55PM
    Options
    Bear in mind, half the people on the forum will be smokers so expect sarky or hostile comments.

Okay, i've never witness a person vaping indoors while at work so thats new and would NOT be tolerated by anybody at my place. If you think its a problem i advise you speak to your manager, you shouldn't have to inhale it if you dont want to, its also banned in many establishments and train stations so i dont understand why its taking place indoors at work!! Plus nobody knows the long-term effects of it.

I also agree with the guy above, the sweet sickly smell makes me sick when i smell it outdoors too.
  • shortcrust
    shortcrust Posts: 2,697 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Newshound!
    Options
    pogofish wrote: »
    Vaping isn't smoking and has next to none of the issues associated with passive smoking, so what's your problem?

Why would anyone think it's ok to vape in the workplace when you have colleagues near you?!
  • trailingspouse
    trailingspouse Posts: 4,035 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Vaping cigarettes are unregulated. Unlike traditional cigarettes, we don't actually know what the issues are. I think you're right to not want to spend your day inhaling someone else's vape.

Can you go to your employer and ask for clarification on where things stand re smoking these indoors?
    No longer a spouse, or trailing, but MSE won't allow me to change my username...
  • paddyrg
    paddyrg Posts: 13,543 Forumite
    Options
    To reassure you, the cloud is principally sugars and water, same as nightclub smoke machines make. We've had smoke machines in clubs for decades without much evidence of causing health problems, so for the passive vaper the health risks are pretty negligible from current evidence.

For the actual person breathing it in neat searing hot I suspect the issues may not be known for a while, although it seems unlikely they'll even be in the same league as smoking. I think where there may be a new issue is with metal fume poisoning from coils, again that'll only really apply to the original vaper.
  • General_Grant
    General_Grant Posts: 4,842 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Bear in mind, half the people on the forum will be smokers so expect sarky or hostile comments.

Okay, i've never witness a person vaping indoors while at work so thats new and would NOT be tolerated by anybody at my place. If you think its a problem i advise you speak to your manager, you shouldn't have to inhale it if you dont want to, its also banned in many establishments and train stations so i dont understand why its taking place indoors at work!! Plus nobody knows the long-term effects of it.

I also agree with the guy above, the sweet sickly smell makes me sick when i smell it outdoors too.

Where do you get that statistic?

Officially just under 20% of the UK's adult population are smokers. Why would 50% of MSE forumites be smokers?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure