PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

August 2008 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• teedy23
    teedy23 Posts: 2,088
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    morning my little m/s chums, I now need milk and bread and tomorite or something like it, so a shop is imminent. I also really fancy a "piece an sausage" it has to be butchers steak square, so a visit to butch is also on the cards, and it has to be eaten on "Mothers pride" plain bread or it,s not right, and nothing else will do. I will probably get the bus to work again as it,s hissing down outside, not doing awfully well really but will try to lessen the damage by using MOC,s. Have a good day all xx
    EDIT) thank you gillaman I need cheese too.
    :T:jDabbler in all things moneysaving.Master of none:o

Well except mastered my mortgage 5 yrs early :T:j
    Street finds for 2018 £26:49.
  • MERFE
    MERFE Posts: 2,133
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    didnt do to badley last month in the end so just shows what can be done when you concentrate on it. I'm aiming for 200 pounds this month, tesco came yesterday and delivered most the months food, for 96 pounds, did get 13 pounds off but stocked up on washing powder etc. should be ok for the rest of the month.
  • Well start of the month, start of a new challenge.

Have made a quiche and found some stewed apples so a pie for dinner tonight.

No spend day today! Good start, and hoping to keep at it!

Charlotte
    Toughest form of moutain climbing is climbing out of a rut
    I WILL be debt free!
    I WILL be happy!
    red pen member 4
  • zoe260373
    zoe260373 Posts: 868 Forumite
    morning all,not been on for a few days but i have been a good girl while away:D today will be my 8th NSD in a row:T used up last of the frozen milk now tho so will need to get some tomorrow(but its only 99p for 2litres in my local shop:D )have been baking my own bread and have got tonnes of food in,both freezers are groaning under the pressure and all the cupboards are fit to burst,did a big mr t shop at the end of the month and included it in the july total so even though i went over it should help keep me under for august,hmmm :rolleyes: famous last words!anyway,hope everyone is well(not caught up on posts yet)and hugs to all that need them,am off to attempt a meal plan,(only been 'attempting' one for about 5 weeks):eek: need to pull my finger out!
    angelnikki-hope your bathroom is done and you love it,and hope your sanity is intact after having ex oh in your hair.catch everyone later,byeee.xxx
    family is me,oh,16yDS,10DD,9DS&17month old DS,2dogs,3cats,4bunnies,5 ex battery hens&5fish.GC challenge-/£300:pspends already this month-animal food-£28,mr T shop-£119.plus local shop spends total spent £257,:j
  • Jaycee1972
    Jaycee1972 Posts: 144 Forumite
    Morning all

Had my tesco delivery already! I seem to do quite well by doing a bulk shop at the start of the month. I have to do some batch cooking and have enough cat food, laundry, tea, coffee, suger, baking and other dried / tinned stuff to hopefully last the month. It all came to £81.39 and I spent £6.25 at Farm foods yesterday but am including it in this months budget (especially as I forgot it and left it in my husband's freezer). Sooo that leaves me £62.36 for the month. Should be easy but I bet I struggle. I must be addicted to food shopping! I start my tesco order about 2 weeks before I want it so I am getting my shopping fix without actually buying anything (yet) if you know what I mean lol!

Jaycee

Jaycee x

• egon
    egon Posts: 439 Forumite
    Hi all,

NSD for us today.

I have some puff pastry lurking in the fridge, which need using up. I am not sure what to do with it. Done pizza wheels and cheese sticks with it before, but the kids and hubby are getting tired of it.
    Any ideas, what I can do with it?

We will have stuffed marrow for dinner. FIL has an allotment, and every now and then we get some stuff.

Egon

PS: Mrs M, in our household, you are known as "Mrs Bielefeld". DH keeps asking if you are ok/ if I heard from you!
    I wish Germany had a website like moneysavingexpert!
  • mandy_moo_1
    mandy_moo_1 Posts: 1,201
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    hi all :wave:

went into town this morning to do my gran's shopping and i only spent £2 myself...on 2 more sealed money box tins. i've just filled my 2nd one, but i'm not opening it....keeping it for a REALLY rainy day. i keep going to them to give 'em a lickle shake :D but i'm being really good not opening them! so i got myself a new one, and one for DS15 to put money in every week to save for his rugby trip to Italy in Oct.

have just lifted the HM rolls out of the oven...they're going straight in the freezer as soon as they're cold enough cos i don't need 'em for lunch....i had 2 HM iced buns with a coffee instead :p

all the housework's done now, so i can catch up on some posts on here, and do a bit of x-stitch :D

don't forget to post a pic IfOnlyItWasEasier when you get your hair done later . bet you're dead excited now :j
  • Mrs._Irwin
    Mrs._Irwin Posts: 161 Forumite
    Hello!
    No idea of our total spend for July, though we'd nearly got to target by ten days in :eek:
    I'm going to aim for £300, as I've yet to hit £250 :o
    That's for two adults and a breastfed baby, starting today.

I got a half-price organic chicken on Wednesday which we had roasted last night, so I'll be making chicken curry later.
    I finally got round to doing some baking this week! :j
    On Monday, in the sweltering heat! :eek:
    It had to be done, as I found two of my favourite recipes from when I was a kid, Carrot Cake off Blue Peter and Jane Asher American Style Muffins... nomnom...
    I didn't have any cinnamon so put ginger in the carrot cake, not nice. It was also a bit dry, but I'm a bit out of practice. The muffins however were divine!
    We're off to a farm shop the in-laws have been raving about this afternoon, so I hope we don't spend too much.

Bye for now!

Mrs. Irwin

xx
    A penny saved is a penny earned.

Grocery Challenge: September: £1.75/£200
  • Egon, with puff pastry, I roll it out to a rectangle then score all round half an inch from the edge then fill the centre with anything that needs eating up ( onions, pepper, tomatoes, asparagus, aubergine, courgette, ham etc) from one to lots of ingredients and then top with cheese and bake, instant posh looking tart! with endless variations.

hopefully nsd for me today £21.35 on junk for sleep over kids yesterday :-S but there's loads in and only at home next week so hopefully lots of NSDs.
    Eat food, not edible food-like items. Mostly plants.
  • Chell
    Chell Posts: 1,683
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Egon, with puff pastry, I roll it out to a rectangle then score all round half an inch from the edge then fill the centre with anything that needs eating up ( onions, pepper, tomatoes, asparagus, aubergine, courgette, ham etc) from one to lots of ingredients and then top with cheese and bake, instant posh looking tart! with endless variations.

I read on another forum that someone makes little vegetable samosa type things with puff pastry which I keep menaing to try. You'd just need onions, potatoes, peas and some Indian spices or curry paste.
    Nevermind the dog, beware of the kids!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport