PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Garden Fence - help and support in tough times

Comments

• Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,233 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Fuddle no response possibly down to awareness of hassle of sorting & reclaiming cost for assessment by the school. Contact your councillors for local kicks up the backside, then cc your MP. We mentioned for at least 2 years in primary, I mentioned several times at high school, it was uni after a gap year that sussed Ds2 during freshers registration.
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • camelot1001
    camelot1001 Posts: 6,002 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    A bit warm for this weather though HH.
    You sound really happy fuddle (apart from the problem at school), I'm glad your volunteering is bringing you joy.
    monna, such sad news, I hope the operation is a success.
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Can I ask what the other old bats --- erm more mature ladies do with grey eyebrows? My hair was nearly black when I was alive, and so my eyebrows were black too. But now there are more grey hairs than black and if I carry on plucking the light hairs out then I'm going to have none at all soon.
  • fuddle wrote: »
    Drat Monna. Sorry to read that upset has arrived at your door again and so sad to read of such awfulness about the thread on my catch up. Life is a real pig sometimes.

All is OK here. Both DDs can now swim and they are on the Brownie/Guide waiting list with both getting a place in Sept. Eldest had only just started Scouts before we had to leave the old life and was very upset so we've held off going down that route until they were settled.

We had to visit the on all GP last week as youngest was kicked in the nose at school. I wouldn't know a broken nose so asked for help considering the bleeding and quick bruising on the bridge. No broken nose but given the knowledge.of the GP and the effects of all my meds eldest is considering GP as a career again. Youngest wants to work with animals and has expressed a wish to go to agricultural college. Both girls are so different and look to have such different loves ahead of them. All I can do is support them both.

Speaking of which there has been absolutely no communication with school re: dyslexia. Both DDs eye test came back as not needing glasses. I have penned another letter to school for tomorrow as DD has been upset that a teaching assistant warned her that she would go in the detention room again if she didn't finish her writing in time again. Whatever happens I will.stamp out that strategy! DD can see about 3x more with a pink overlay so I have just taken delivery of pink times glasses for her to see if that will help.worh writing too. Of i get no where with this second letter I will take both letters to the Local Authority myself.

Volunteering is just the ticket. I adore it but it leaves me shattered of an evening so I have got a 7 day meal planner going again. I do need burgers in buns salad and a jar chicken curry rice and naan on days I'm out of the house. Hopefully I will be able to come up with something better than jar in the future.

Sour dough attempts are very frustrating! I have been buying expensive 'artisan' loaves because they are so much better for my tum but van I 'eck make a decent loaf myself. It will come.... hopefully!

Strawberry and rasps are doing wonderfully! Also the brambles at the bottom are doing well.y Brussels and cabbage are doing well as are by purple.sprouting. I have lost all but one tomato plants and something gets.my peas before they.evem get a chance to get going! Love growing and going to replant rasp.suckers and strawberry runners in pots to take with me if/when we move.

Crocheting two blankets for autumn. Both ate crochet moss stitch
    One being delicate and expensive wool and the.second chunky cheap wool. That is a filler for.when I use up.my wool budget on the good stuff. ;) I have also tried my hand at a small quilt foru house rabbit's base. Such hard work and a labour of love for.a perfectionist. I enjoyed it as such but I have souch to learn.y girls complement me on my sewing machine skills but honestly I'm rubbish. Still, I seem to be inspiring them so I'm not saying g anything to the contrary! Haha

Last thing. We are tentatively thinking about letting a pup back into our lives. The pain, sadness and guilt of having to let Alfie go will never ever leave us. We were selfish and moved even though Alfie couldn't come with us to the new house and will always brat ourselves up for that but time has healed somewhat and 2 and a half years later we are nearing ready. We are researching breeds because we want to get it right. We are thinking golden retriever. I don't see us moving forward until the autumn winter,. If it still feels the right thing to do.

Oh. Very last thing l have cashed in my cash back from top cash back so now on the hunt for some quality winter boots. I'm hoping to get some cheaper in the summer.

Sorry for the typos. I have lost.my phone so getting used to a different one. Take care all :)

I'm so pleased to hear from you Fuds - I read along daily, but don't often post, but I have missed hearing news from you and your lovely family. I remember you so well when you first joined us and what a pickle you were in. You have worked so hard for your girls in giving them the best life you can and instilling in them solid values and principles.
    You should be so proud of yourselves - I know we are all proud of you.
    xxx
    :j[DFW Nerd club #1142 Proud to be dealing with my debt:TDMP start date April 2012. Amount £21862:eek:April 2013 = £20414:T April 2014 = £11000 :TApril 2015 = £9500 :T April 2016 = £7200:T
    DECEMBER 2016 - Due to moving house/down-sizing NO MORTGAGE; NO OVERDRAFT; NO DEBTS; NO CREDIT CARDS; NO STORE-CARDS; NO LOANS = FREEDOM:j:j:beer::j:j:T:T
  • camelot1001
    camelot1001 Posts: 6,002 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    mar, my eyebrows are so fair that you can hardly see them but you could try an eyebrow pencil or have them dyed.
  • Softstuff
    Softstuff Posts: 3,086 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    My fingers are crossed Monnagran, that her recovery goes well and the op was successful. Also that you survive the household!

Good to see you Fuddle. You keep hammering at them about DD until they get the message you won't give up. Glad you're loving volunteering, even if it is tiring. There's nothing wrong with jar curry. You could ring the changes with a thai curry maybe? No more time to do, I have some quick recipes if you're interested.

Mardatha, when my eyebrows go grey I'll do the same as I do with my Grey hair... sod all! Though I know eyebrow dying is a thing. You can even buy kits. Though I'd worry about looking like I'd colored them in with black marker!

Hester, I have not been wearing PVC is what is now affectionately known as my "lover garden". Though I appreciate it's wipe clean properties, it's been an unseasonably hot winter here (22 degrees yesterday) and I've been moving gravel (2 cubic metres yesterday ). Had I been wearing PVC, I would be nothing more than a grease spot on the bare earth today.
    Softstuff- Officially better than 007
  • burtha
    burtha Posts: 903 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    Monna, fingers crossed all goes well , including chasing a small child and a dog , sound like you may be busy ....

Hester , pvc is so practical , I remember working behind a bar in the mid 90's and almost living in a pair of black pvc trousers , looked fab ( at the time) and the best bit was they were spill resistant, beer tended to run of them lol ,as you always end up wiping you hand on your jeans .... maybe I should start wearing them again and start a fashion trend :rotfl: ...

Fuddle , keep going with the school , very frustrating , .... as for the dog the only thing that would say is what ever dog you get ,read up first ,see things like nature of the breed , health problems etc, as for golden retreavers / labradors most I have had or know are steady, easy to train, affectionate, loving animals, to the extent of we are Down to our last labrador, dh doesn't want any more of them because they are to boring, easy to train and he likes more of a challenge hence why we now have more springers and cocker spaniels .... but the offer of help is here if you ever need it .... This week we have an extra 4 legged friend for the week , as re homed dogs often come back for holidays lol ... so 10 dogs , two crazy puppies , 1 who is starting to look like doogle, and very happy to carry anything ...and the other in Nutts .... more like a tasmaniam devil than a dog ,thinks dh will spend lots of time in the shooting season rugby tackling this one lol ....

x
    £223/ £250 GC
  • maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,660 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Maratha I sometimes dye my eyebrows but it only lasts about a fortnight. And it takes a day or two to look natural because it does stain the skin a little bit. So most of the time I use an eyebrow shadow. It's more natural than a pencil. The one I use is by Elizabeth Arden and you can use it dry for brows or wet as an eyeliner. It was expensive but it will see me out. I have seen something similar in Body Shop for much less

You only need a little and the trick is then to use one of those eyebrow grooming brushes to brush it through and make it look even
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    mardatha wrote: »
    Can I ask what the other old bats --- erm more mature ladies do with grey eyebrows? My hair was nearly black when I was alive, and so my eyebrows were black too. But now there are more grey hairs than black and if I carry on plucking the light hairs out then I'm going to have none at all soon.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :D

Atm I've still just about got more brown than grey, but I just hope people don't notice the grey ones because of my glasses :D

Fed up with my hair though. It's more grey than brown now and looks very "faded", and I would have it coloured but simply wouldn't be able to afford the upkeep (physically can't do it my self like wot my Mum used to). Not only that but it's drier and curlier than it used to be and hard to keep looking nice :(

Still, it's a very small problem in the great scheme of things.
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    When I started going grey I dyed it, but then one day I thought god I've had enough of this and stopped dyeing it. Wore a hat until my roots were 2" and then went and got all the black cut off. I like my hair short - like Jamie Curtis style - and suddenly I had this gorgeous soft hair in tones of grey. I loved it until I got bored and dyed it blond lol) I will look for that eyebrow shadow mary, ta.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure