Dumb question. Breaking fixed term?

MrCrypt
MrCrypt Posts: 5 Forumite
Combo Breaker First Anniversary
edited 15 July 2017 at 7:38AM in Mortgages & endowments
Hello

I'm new to the forum and mortgages :)

I have a probably dumb question. If you were to take out a fixed mortgage for say 10 years, with a term that was short (e.g. 10-15 years instead of 25-30), are you 'locked into' that deal? I'm thinking along the lines in which say one of the people on the mortgage lost their job so things became tight - would you be allowed to break the fixed term and port onto a different mortgage with lower repayments (i.e. extend the term) or doesn't it work like that?

I see mortgages have exit fees but I think these relate to if you pay the mortgage off early?

Comments

• Westminster
    Westminster Posts: 1,004 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Savvy Shopper! Debt-free and Proud!
    The exit fees are still payable regardless of reasons.
  • MrCrypt
    The exit fees are still payable regardless of reasons.

I'd have no problem/issue paying an exit fee :)

I'm asking if it's possible to break a fixed term (e.g. a 10 year fixed with a mortgage term of 10/15 years) sometime during the term if needed, say to port onto a mortgage with a longer term (e.g. variable rate with term extended to 20 years) to bring down repayments if one of us lost a job? Would it be as simple as saying we want to switch and pay the exit fee, or are we pretty much 'fixed into' the fixed deal for the 10 years?

Sorry, initial post may not be best worded.
  • debtisnotme
    debtisnotme Posts: 111 Forumite
    As well as an exit fee you would likely have early repayment fees of a % of your loan. The best thing to do is take the mortgage over a longer term and over pay it, this way you have the flexibility of lower payments without neededing to break the terms of your fixed rate.
    Debt on 25/5/17
    Mortgage[STRIKE] £61,999[/STRIKE] £59,335
    Secured loan approximately[STRIKE] £20,000[/STRIKE] £19,353
    Unsecured debt in DMP with Stepchange[STRIKE] £38,887[/STRIKE] £37,763
  • glentoran99
    glentoran99 Posts: 5,821 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 15 July 2017 at 8:36AM
    MrCrypt wrote: »
    I'd have no problem/issue paying an exit fee :)

I'm asking if it's possible to break a fixed term (e.g. a 10 year fixed with a mortgage term of 10/15 years) sometime during the term if needed, say to port onto a mortgage with a longer term (e.g. variable rate with term extended to 20 years) to bring down repayments if one of us lost a job? Would it be as simple as saying we want to switch and pay the exit fee, or are we pretty much 'fixed into' the fixed deal for the 10 years?

Sorry, initial post may not be best worded.

If losing a job meant you were getting it tight. the chances of switching to a different deal would be close to zero
  • MrCrypt
    If you lost your job the chances of switching to a different deal would be close to zero

I'm not sure that's true - I have two sources of income plus partners income, so if either lost main job we'd likely still have sufficient income for a more 'normal' term going off lenders calculators.

We're both under 30 with 50% deposit and was looking at clearing mortgage in 10 years (very doable) hence looking at a 10 year fix and asking the question :)
  • MrCrypt
    If losing a job meant you were getting it tight. the chances of switching to a different deal would be close to zero

Ah I see you've changed post :p nah, we should still be okay
  • Dandytf
    Dandytf Posts: 4,819 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 15 July 2017 at 9:02AM
    Hello

I'm new to the forum and mortgages :)

I have a probably dumb question. If you were to take out a fixed mortgage for say 10 years, with a term that was short (e.g. 10-15 years instead of 25-30), are you 'locked into' that deal? I'm thinking along the lines in which say one of the people on the mortgage lost their job so things became tight - would you be allowed to break the fixed term and port onto a different mortgage with lower repayments (i.e. extend the term) or doesn't it work like that?

Lost my job 1 overpayment saved my home found another job almost 3months later

Consider making overpayments reguarly as a safety net against unemployment

The overpayment amount isnt important regualar overpayments are a neccesity
    small medium or large
    Replenished CRA Reports.2020 Nissan Leaf 128-149 miles top charge. Savings depleted. VM Stream tv M250 Volted to M350 then M500 since returned to 1gb
  • buttonmoon
    buttonmoon Posts: 152 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I took out a longer mortgage with a lower repayment but overpay each month so my mortgage will be paid off many years early fingers crossed. I know that if I lost my job that I could still manage to pay my mortgage. If you had shorter mortgage on a fixed term deal for 10 years (which I expect has a much higher interest rate than shorter fixes) and you lost your job you would need you get a new mortgage with a lower repayment (but how are you going to do that if you lost your job) and pay any exit fees to get out of your fixed rate deal.
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    I'm not sure that's true - I have two sources of income plus partners income, so if either lost main job we'd likely still have sufficient income for a more 'normal' term going off lenders calculators.
    )

There really seems little point taking out a 10year fix in that case, take a longer term which will be ata lower rate, and overpay at an amount that approximates to a ten year term. Just make sure it's one that doesn't have limiting overpayment conditions.
  • MrCrypt
    AnotherJoe wrote: »
    There really seems little point taking out a 10year fix in that case, take a longer term which will be ata lower rate, and overpay at an amount that approximates to a ten year term. Just make sure it's one that doesn't have limiting overpayment conditions.

Thanks - I think this is what we're going to do in hindsight
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport