Asda Opticians only £50 for Complete glasses INC Thinnest Lenses for NO EXTRA COST

Comments

• ianlawn wrote: »
    It's worth noting some of the designer ones at specsavers cost £125 (£92.5each) compared with £45 each at asda.

But my main question is if you are on a mild perscription and don't really care about brands but want a pair that look good, is it best to go for this and get thin lenses or is it not noticable on a low perscription?

right -1.5
    left -1.5 +0.25 125

My Mum has a similar prescription to you, and the 1.5 standard lenses are fine. You wouldn't benefit from a higher index lens; there is no or virtually no overhang on frames. Due to your weak presciption ASDA also wouldn't give you a higher index lens anyway, you'd need to be -3.25 or more (unless you paid £40 for each stage of a higher index lens).

You're right about Specsaver, lots of their designer ranges are the same as ASDA (eg. FCUK), yet it's £125 for two pair, as opposed to £90 with ASDA (and free high index lenses if necessary).

From what I've come across, the company selling the cheapest bog-standard frames with 1.5 lenses are Glasses Direct. (Not the cheapest if you require high index lenses eg. 1.6, 1.67, 1.70 etc).

If ASDA started selling a better range of designer frames (even at much higher designer prices, but with the free high index lenses most suitable for the prescription), they'd make a killing.
  • Ordered my new glasses today.

As I am a 'Bat', my prescription being -8.5, and only needing single vision lenes, I have chosen 2 pairs of glasses with 1.7 lenses for only £90. Actually, I didn't choose them, that was my fiances job because I can't see what they would look like when I have taken my glasses off.

Thanks Again kennyjosiah for the original post.
  • carpy
    carpy Posts: 1,083
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    what lenses would Asda give me.....i'm about -4.00 in each eye?
  • carpy wrote: »
    what lenses would Asda give me.....i'm about -4.00 in each eye?

It's here: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.html?p=26443209&postcount=136
  • Altarf
    Altarf Posts: 2,916
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Picked up my specs today, and frankly this is an unbelievable offer for those of us with poor sight.

My sight is around -8 and I asked for both pairs to be done in 1.9 glass, which they did at the standard price of £90 for the two pairs.

The quality of the finish on my specs is superb, in comparison to specs I have had from D&A and Boots, both of which were utter rubbish. In fact Boots had to refund me after having four goes at attempting to provide a satisfactory pair. Someone else I know who has slightly better eysight than me, had a couple of pairs of half-rimmed specs in 1.6 plastic from Asda last week, and they were also very well finished, and again much better than those they previously had from Boots.
  • Agent_C
    Agent_C Posts: 565
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Just collected my specs from Asda and I'm delighted - they are great quality and so thin!!! They look like normal glasses!!

I couldn't get a 'bat' voucher because apparently they are issued by the opticians who do your eye test and you can only have one voucher per test - and I used mine to get some rpescription sunglasses earlier in the year (before I realised that there would hardly be any sun this summer). But still this is the bargain of the year for me - must have saved £900!
  • What are these vouchers please? Are they means tested, or what.

Thanks
    O would some power the giftie gie us to see ourselves as others see us.

(O would some power the gift to give us to see ourselves as others see us
    .)

Robert Burns
  • Agent_C
    Agent_C Posts: 565
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    What are these vouchers please? Are they means tested, or what.

Thanks

No, but you need to have a 'complex lens' prescription to get one - which I think means a presecription greater than - or + 10. I think it's a little over £13.
  • I have picked up my glasses tonight, my prescription is about -6.50 in both eyes. The glasses are fantastic and are very thin lenses. Last time I got two pairs for £350 and the second pair didnt have thin lenses, whereas both these have thin lenses and are designer frames (Nike), for £115.

Absolutely fantastic value, well done ASDA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Just wanted to thank the poster - my husband , who is -8.5 , -10 just got 2 pairs of designer glasses with 1.7 thin lenses for 90 pounds! we paid hundreds for heavy thicker glass a few years ago and we couldn't afford another pair - genuinely, thank you X
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure