Asda Opticians only £50 for Complete glasses INC Thinnest Lenses for NO EXTRA COST

Comments

• Crocswearer
    Crocswearer Posts: 211 Forumite
    I need some new glasses and I have looked at the Asda Optician web site and they are doing some very good deals on Verifocal glasses. They are charging £95 for designer Verifocal. Has anyone purchased these from Asda and can inform what the quality of the lens is like. I think they use Shamir glass lens.

Me too - my annual test is due in a couple of weeks, so I've been researching Asda opticians.

Have a look at the Shamir website https://www.shamirlens.co.uk On the products tab there's a comparison chart of Shamir and other brands. I'm still looking for a diagram of the clear zones of Shamir and Essilor/Varilux lenses, though. I'll edit if I find one.

The various Shamir lenses get generally very positive reviews on opticians' forums, from what I've found.

HTH
  • I now have ASDA varifocal/progressive specs, in a rimless frame.

I am very pleased with them and will definitely go back there for future specs. I got mine from ASDA Dagenham. £95 all in. Brilliant!
  • I have just recieved 2 pair of Varifocal glasses from Asda opticians for £170 and I am well pleased with them,they would have been £100 more at Boots opticians.
    The staff were so helpful and friendly even tho I had to go back for readjustments to 1 pair:j--1 pair is rimless and so light!!
  • amandada
    amandada Posts: 1,168
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I'm another fan of Asda opticians-wearing my glasses right now!
    I don't have a high or complex prescription but was sooo chuffed to get my glasses for £50-and they get commented on all the time-in a good way!
  • This post dosen't only refer to ASDA but to every optician I have ever got my glasses from.

Why does my glasses always come back with half of the lens sticking through the front of the frames? I know I am extremely short sighted, but since I always buy plastic frames with wide arms to hide the thickness, there's absolutly no conceivable reason for this. I always have my lense thinned down aswell.

It upsets me everytime I have collected new glasses & I can't believe anyone would be expected to wear glasses like this. They have now had to be sent back to get new lenses put in & I'm no doubt going to have to wait another few weeks for them to be delivered back to ASDA. :mad:
    So why don't you ask for thin lenses in the first place? Or are you saying that you do, but every optician you go to ignores your request?
  • Tigsteroonie
    Tigsteroonie Posts: 24,954
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    I have really thick lenses and, when viewed from the side, my lenses have always stuck out from the frame to both the front and the back. I presumed they put the frame central to the edge of the lens in order to balance the weight.
    :heartpuls Mrs Marleyboy :heartpuls

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

:) Proud Parents to an Aut-some son :)
  • Altarf
    Altarf Posts: 2,916
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I have really thick lenses and, when viewed from the side, my lenses have always stuck out from the frame to both the front and the back. I presumed they put the frame central to the edge of the lens in order to balance the weight.

No, it is just poor service from the optician.

Like the other person, I always ask the optician to fit the lens so that the whole 'depth' is protruding behind the frame. The only two opticians that I have ever found to manage that on the first attempt were ASDA and Costco.

The most useless were Boots. They attempted it SIX yes SIX times, and failed on each attempt. They informed me that they subcontract out the production of their glasses, and there was no mechanism for them to communicate my request to the factory.

What I found really amusing was that apparently with each attempt they threw away the lenses and the frames, because the factory wouldn't refit new lenses in the 'old' frames. So they had to throw away six genuine Ray Ban frames and 12 lenses, AND refund my money, because they still couldn't get it right.
  • lolly5648
    lolly5648 Posts: 2,257
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Can you get Varilux varifocal lenses from Asda?
  • Why does my glasses always come back with half of the lens sticking through the front of the frames? I know I am extremely short sighted, but since I always buy plastic frames with wide arms to hide the thickness, there's absolutly no conceivable reason for this. I always have my lense thinned down aswell.

Specsavers have been the worst for me. I have a pair of designer frames from them where the lenses fell out after wearing for less than a week!

To answer the question you were asked, I've never gone for thin lenses before as I didn't know they existed until someone mentioned them to me recently.

I have -5.25 and -4.00. Does anyone know if that qualifies for me thin lenses at Asda?
  • Altarf
    Altarf Posts: 2,916
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    kingboyk wrote: »
    I have -5.25 and -4.00. Does anyone know if that qualifies for me thin lenses at Asda?

Yes - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=26443209&postcount=136
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure