PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Would you buy a maisonette?

Well, it is finally happening - after years of renting we are finally looking for a house to buy. So being FTBs, this is where the MSEs' expertise comes forward - I really need a second opinion guys.

I have seen a house which I sort of liked - great catchment area, walking distance to one of the best primary schools and the best secondary school. Four bedrooms (or rather three bedrooms and a study), two bathrooms, generous-sized lounge, really, really great garden! BUT:

It is a maisonette, i.e. the property is split-level over the 1st and 2nd floor, and somebody else lives on the ground floor. Still, it has a private entrance and a private garden. In order to get to your 1st floor you climb a narrow flight of steps.

Plus it is close to a major road (it is a secluded cul-de-sac but you can hear the busy traffic in the garden).

It costs approx. the same as 3-bed semi-detached houses cost in the area and even a bit more than some - 3-bed semis are what we were looking for but I am dazzled with the garden and the good area (although I am only looking for properties in this area anyway)...

Opinions?

Comments

• g_attrill
    g_attrill Posts: 691 Forumite
    If it were me, I would get the smaller 3-bed semi if you can get one in the same area/catchment.

A big garden is nice, but not if you can't enjoy it without somebody looking directly out their window at you (and if you can't walk out your house straight on to it).
  • ET1976
    ET1976 Posts: 315 Forumite
    What's the tenure (leasehold, share of freehold...)?
    How do you get to the garden?
    Who's going to be living there? I assume children since schools are mentioned.

Doesn't sound a good bet from the initial details you've given, if you're looking for a family home.
  • Fly_Baby
    Fly_Baby Posts: 709 Forumite
    g_attrill wrote: »
    If it were me, I would get the smaller 3-bed semi if you can get one in the same area/catchment.

A big garden is nice, but not if you can't enjoy it without somebody looking directly out their window at you (and if you can't walk out your house straight on to it).

The garden is private and is only accessible from the house. It has perimeter fencing too.

I now live in a 3-bed semi but still my garden is perfectly visible from the neibour's house and their garden is seen from the 1st floor window of our house.

Space is one of my issues - I'd rather compromise on something else.
  • Fly_Baby
    ET1976 wrote: »
    What's the tenure (leasehold, share of freehold...)?
    How do you get to the garden?
    Who's going to be living there? I assume children since schools are mentioned.

Doesn't sound a good bet from the initial details you've given, if you're looking for a family home.

I didn't ask about the tenure - didn't think of it but should have.

The garden is accessed from the maisonette's private entrance area only.

Moving in will be me, my OH and two primary-school aged children. Current owners are a family with small children too.

Still doesn't sound like a good family home? :(
  • ET1976
    ET1976 Posts: 315 Forumite
    Fly_Baby wrote: »
    I didn't ask about the tenure - didn't think of it but should have.

Do so ASAP - that's really important.

Struggling to picture the layout - is the garden a front garden, or are there separate entrances on the back and front of the house, 1 for upstairs and 1 for downstairs?

Having to go upstairs as soon as you go in to the house is not very convenient with bags of shopping and all the other paraphenalia children tend to involve (in my limited experience, not having any).
  • Twood
    Twood Posts: 27 Forumite
    personally I would always buy a freehold house rather than any leasehold property (which I believe most maisonettes are). I have lived in a flat and believe me when you come to re-sell or even just want to make a small change it can get very messy.
  • Fly_Baby
    g_attrill wrote: »

Nice 3-bed semis in this area are more expensive and therefore not affordable. Cheaper semis are rare to come by. I am viewing a couple - garden is not great in both of them and I haven't even seen what the rooms look like.
  • Fly_Baby
    Twood wrote: »
    personally I would always buy a freehold house rather than any leasehold property (which I believe most maisonettes are). I have lived in a flat and believe me when you come to re-sell or even just want to make a small change it can get very messy.

The EA says it is getting a lot of interest.

Do they always say that?
  • Fly_Baby
    Do so ASAP - that's really important.

Apparently, it is leasehold with 78 years left.
  • Fly_Baby
    Struggling to picture the layout - is the garden a front garden, or are there separate entrances on the back and front of the house, 1 for upstairs and 1 for downstairs?

Having to go upstairs as soon as you go in to the house is not very convenient with bags of shopping and all the other paraphenalia children tend to involve (in my limited experience, not having any

The garden is to the back of the house and it is separated - so two private gardens for both properties. There are two separate street entrances too.

A very valid point about having to go upstairs with all the bags and children...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure