DLA and home visit by GP what to expect?

Hi just after a little advice on what to expect, applied for DLA in September, sent form back by the deadline of 27/28th October. Late November they rang me for more information on how my condition affects me, how many days per week etc which I answered. I was then informed by letter that they had written to my GP for more information, a week before Christmas I received a written apology for the delay in reaching a decision, so I contacted them.
Apparently they had written to my GP twice, on on 18th November and again on 1st December but received no response, so had passed it on for me to have a home visit to determine if I am eligible.
Received a letter last week to inform me that the Dr's visit will take place at my home between 6pm and 8pm tomorrow. Is this normal practice?
Another strange thing to me is that they are sending a GP out from my own practice (another of the partners, not my personal GP). I assumed it would be an independent person.
I have no problem with him coming here as I am clearly unwell, but it seems rather late!

Comments

• P.S. forgot to ask, what information is he likely to want from me that I haven't already told them? Thanks in advance.
  • healy
    healy Posts: 5,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    A lot of the Doctors who are employed to carry out these visits are GPs so the late time is probably to fit in with his other work.

He will want to know about your illness/disability and how it leads to mobility problems and care needs.
  • Thanks Healy, the slightest thing stresses me out, I just wish my own GP had sent the forms back when she received them. I do know the GP coming out but for me it makes it all the more embarrassing as I do not like people seeing me like this.
  • hardpressed
    hardpressed Posts: 2,099 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    There is no need to feel embarrassed, the GP will be used to seeing sick people.
  • PipsoG
    PipsoG Posts: 75 Forumite
    I had a home visit before I was awarded DLA and my advice would be to have somebody with you during the visit. Not only for support but also so they can hear what questions the doctor asks you and if you fail to get an award you can compare it with the report the doctor has submitted.

I didn't have anybody and was refused on my first application and when I read the report done by the doctor it had answers I never made!

I had to appeal the decision and in the end had to get my MP involved and after waiting over 5 months eventually got an indefinate award for both Care and Mobility.
  • There is no need to feel embarrassed, the GP will be used to seeing sick people.

I know he will be used to seeing unwell people. Am embarrassed as I actually work (ed) in their surgery, when their own midwife was off sick or on holiday. Even with my own GP there it took me months to actually spill the beans on the extent of my problems (I only admitted it when seeing psychiatrist, as I was afraid they wouldn't want me working there anymore if she realised just how ill I was).
  • Hi, If I was being brutal then I would say you have to swallow your pride and go for it 100%
    Imagine losing the benefit because you were shy about revealing something about yourself.
    I am in a similar boat inasmuch as I am about to reveal deeply personal things to an appeal panel. I do not even wish my wife to be present.
    Please don't be offended but shrinking violets will be swept away by this process.
    Just close your eyes and go for it, if anyone thinks less of you because of it then shame on THEM.
    VERY VERY best of luck with this.
    Do you have a leesonce for yer minkey?
  • Chippychap wrote: »
    Hi, If I was being brutal then I would say you have to swallow your pride and go for it 100%
    Imagine losing the benefit because you were shy about revealing something about yourself.
    I am in a similar boat inasmuch as I am about to reveal deeply personal things to an appeal panel. I do not even wish my wife to be present.
    Please don't be offended but shrinking violets will be swept away by this process.
    Just close your eyes and go for it, if anyone thinks less of you because of it then shame on THEM.
    VERY VERY best of luck with this.

I know what you mean, it is very hard though. If I had a physical problem it wouldn't bother me, but society places such a stigma on mental health problems even though it is just as debillitating. Am in tears as I write this as he has phoned to say he is coming between 1.30 and 2.30pm instead.
    And I know what you mean about not wanting your wife present, as I think I would feel same if my family knew just how bad some of the things have been at times in my head. Will let you know how I get on.
  • spindo
    spindo Posts: 70 Forumite
    Another strange thing to me is that they are sending a GP out from my own practice (another of the partners, not my personal GP). I assumed it would be an independent person.
    I have no problem with him coming here as I am clearly unwell, but it seems rather late!

:confused:Surprises me too, I thought an Atos doctor did the DLA medicals whether they be at their medical centres or in your home.
  • spindo wrote: »
    :confused:Surprises me too, I thought an Atos doctor did the DLA medicals whether they be at their medical centres or in your home.

He has been and gone now, although he did seem quite surprised when he realised I was one of their surgery patients. He did ask if I was okay with him undertaking the medical and reiterated that he is not the decision maker if my claim is unsuccessful and I have to see him in the future!
    It only took about 15 minutes had a blood pressure and heart check, and a few mobility things with my arms and legs (though I have no mobility problems), and the questions were basically the same as the ones on the DLA form itself.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure