PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Christmas Dinner (preparing in advance)

Comments

• My mum has always cooked the turkey on Christmas Eve, and then as above slices it on Xmas Day into a serving dish and then microwaves it. No-one has ever complained!
  • you could try this richard corrigan poaches his turkey then finishes it off in a fryingpan to brown then you could cook the beef in the oven and brown the turkey while the roast potatoes are cooking
    http://uktv.co.uk/food/recipe/aid/632928
  • surfsister
    surfsister Posts: 7,527 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    I don't suppose you have or could borrow a slow cooker??? It's a godsend to cook a second joint slowly and tastily. I always cook my gammon overnight on high (as I have economy 7 half price electric at night) then turn it to low until lunch time and then do the chicken in the oven.
    Much less hassle. Good luck you don't ant to be hassled.
  • when i was married and all my five children were at home, the turkey was quite large. so i always cooked it on christmas eve. slice it christmas morning and put the slices into the gravy to warm through.
  • surfsister wrote: »
    I don't suppose you have or could borrow a slow cooker??? It's a godsend to cook a second joint slowly and tastily. I always cook my gammon overnight on high (as I have economy 7 half price electric at night) then turn it to low until lunch time and then do the chicken in the oven.
    Much less hassle. Good luck you don't ant to be hassled.

Please don't cook forerib of beef in a slow cooker-thats a travesty!:eek: I cooked a 3.5kg rib the other week-HFW timings are spot on, 30mins at 220/230 (top whack of the oven) then 10mins per 500g for rare meat, so that was 1 hour 40mins, plus resting of at least 30mins, it was perfectly cooked and very yummy (I *think* for medium its 12mins/500g, and for well done (although that is also a travesty!) its 18mins/500g)

Could you cook the turkey first, REALLY tent it with foil and keep in a warm place, then crank the heat up, do the beef, I usually start my roasties with about 30mins left, then crank oven back up to full once taken meat out (tent with foil to rest-will keep hot for a fair while-certainly at least 45 mins) to finish spuds, and then yorkies once oven is up to full temp again

I do however use the slow cooker for gammon or bacon but thats about it for joints, possibly brisket but find that cooks better slowly in a casserole in the oven
  • Gigervamp
    Gigervamp Posts: 6,583 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I used to cook the turkey overnight in a low oven. Gas 2 or 3 IIRC.
  • kippers
    kippers Posts: 2,055 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 14 December 2010 at 12:56PM
    Last year i had turkey and lamb as i had 10 people to feed, so I asked my MIL to cook the lamb and bring it with them. I'm sure one of your family won't mind...incidently I cooked a turkey crown, roast potatoes, brussells, roast carrots, roast butternut squash, roast parsnips, peas, mashed potatoes, cauliflower cheese and yorkshires.....the only comment i got from the in-laws was "the lamb was nice"....needless to say they won't be invited again for a long time!:eek:
  • I'd cook the beef on Christmas Eve and serve it cold - that's what we do with the ham, and once it's covered in hot gravy and veggies it doesn't matter.
    "A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister
    Married my best friend 1st November 2014
    Loose = the opposite of tight (eg "These trousers feel a little loose")
    Lose = the opposite of find/gain (eg "I'm going to lose weight this year")
  • wallbash
    wallbash Posts: 17,775 Forumite
    Christmas Eve and serve it cold - that's what we do with the ham, and once it's covered in hot gravy and veggies it doesn't matter.

Wonder why Jamie/Nigella/Gordon and Fanny bother!
  • ALIBOBSY
    ALIBOBSY Posts: 4,527 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    edited 14 December 2010 at 7:49PM
    A big turkey like that won't take 6 hours more like 3 and 1/2 -4 max. I am doing mine al la phil vickery. Simular to the richard corrigan one in that you almost poach/steam the thing. Basically chop some "base" veg such as carrot/celery/onion/leek/garlic etc the sort of stuff you do to start a soup,use this as a sort of trivet for the turkey to sit on, and cover the veg with stock/wine then wrap tightly in foil then cook. Basically the bird steam cooks and cooks quicker and more moistly than normal roasting-an 8kg bird steams for 2 hrs 30-45mins, so our little 4 kg one will be only around 2 hrs to cook. Once cooked (test for the juices running clear as normal) you take it out and cover with butter ( and for us some bacon) then put in uncovered to brown off for about 10 mins.

The bird however cooked needs to stand for at least 30mins, wrap in foil, then clean teatowels on top whatever, and left to stand. A big bird can keep easily an hour if not longer, and hot gravy covers a multitude of sins. I woudl agree with the cook the bird first then wrap it and keep it, then do the beef nice and pink mmmmmmmmm. Roasties and yorkies can be done around the beef and/or whilst it rests. Mash cooked the day before then reheated with extra butter/cream/milk is lovely, but never fancied the freezing route for mash lol.

Remember its just a big sunday lunch, we all have had the years where we worried about it all being perfect, it never can be. Try to relax and enjoy it if you can.

ali x

Heres Phils link on itv http://thismorning.itv.com/thismorning/food/christmas-feast-every-pocket
    "Overthinking every little thing
    Acknowledge the bell you cant unring"

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family