PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Breadmaking - recipes, hints, tips, questions

Comments

• aurorahelios
    aurorahelios Posts: 376 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    This is a recipe from real food recipes for your breadmaker by Carol Palmer, this recipe is a favourite in our house. When I first made this I thought there was a lot of oats in it but you don't notice them once the bread is cooked.

350ml/12 fl oz water
    30ml/2 tbsp sunflower oil
    30ml/2 tbsp malt extract
    60ml/4 tbsp milk powder
    7.5ml/1.5 tsp salt
    300g/11oz strong white bread flour
    175g/6oz rolled oats
    10ml/2tsp dried yeast

Bake on basic setting. Enjoy.
  • Magentasue
    Magentasue Posts: 4,229 Forumite
    apple_mint wrote:
    I'm hopeless at slicing bread. OH got so fed up with having to straighten the loaf up after me that he went on the hunt for some kind of slicing aid. We now have an Evenslice from Lakeland.

We managed to get a used one from Ebay, but to be honest would have paid full price given the mess I was making! You can select differing thicknesses (OH likes doorstop chunks to go with his lemon curd) and the loaves are lasting slightly longer (no chance of home made bread going off in our house )

Are you trying to make me spend money? Don't you know I have no willpower in Lakeland? In fact I'm not supposed to go in one of their shops on my own. I've been looking at one of these for years, literally years, but resisted because I wasn't 100% convinced that it would be as good as they say. In our house, I'm the only person who can cut a slice of bread that is less than a third of a loaf thick. At one end.

Now you have to tell me that they are worth having AND you tell me this the day before I go on a course somewhere where I have to walk past a Lakeland store :eek:, well, three streets away but I will be drawn by some sort of magnetic field that I don't really understand. There is a possibility that I'll finish too late to shop but if I do buy one it's YOUR fault!:D
  • Curry_Queen
    Curry_Queen Posts: 5,589 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    This is a recipe from real food recipes for your breadmaker by Carol Palmer, this recipe is a favourite in our house. When I first made this I thought there was a lot of oats in it but you don't notice them once the bread is cooked.

350ml/12 fl oz water
    30ml/2 tbsp sunflower oil
    30ml/2 tbsp malt extract
    60ml/4 tbsp milk powder
    7.5ml/1.5 tsp salt
    300g/11oz strong white bread flour
    175g/6oz rolled oats
    10ml/2tsp dried yeast

Bake on basic setting. Enjoy.

thank you :T

I'll try this recipe tomorrow, as I recently got hold of a large jar of malt extract, having seen it referred to somewhere on this board, but I've also made loaves with oats in before and they were yummy :j
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• apple_mint
    apple_mint Posts: 1,102 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Magentasue wrote:
    Are you trying to make me spend money? Don't you know I have no willpower in Lakeland?

I know the feeling :o. Though OH is just as bad ... recently we called in for some 60p orange peelers and spent £35 on a whole range of goodies, and it wasn't me doing the spending.

All I say in mitigation is that you'll be able to get more slices from your loaves and therefore save money (well that's how I justify it anyway ;))

The thing about Lakeland is that they test everything before they will sell them ... so they've got to be good haven't they :D
    Enjoying an MSE OS life :D
  • Curry_Queen
    Curry_Queen Posts: 5,589 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Shhhhhhhhhhhhh :shhh: don't mention Lakeland :eek:

I'm still trying to avoid placing an order but the list grows larger all the time!!!!!!! :doh:
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• Queenie
    Queenie Posts: 8,793 Forumite
    Yesterday made "Fingers X'd" bread :D

I had some onion "crispies" in the cupboard (ds wanted them for salads and they were reduced, but not really *that* nice) sooooo ....

... using my basic bread machine bread recipe I threw in the dried onion crispies and tossed in a small hand of dried rosemary - sat back and waited to see what happened ....

... GORGEOUS! Couldn't see/taste the onion crispies as such but oh my! what a blend!

Today I have in the machine: Pesto and Pine Nut loaf. (Didn't have a "jar" of pesto, only the tube - again bought off the reduced counter, plus some pine nuts which I bought last week from the reduced counter) .... I'm hoping I haven't put too much of the paste in :o ... time will tell.
    This afternoon though, I'm back to making squeaky's cinnamon and raisin loaf - I want to freeze that though for when picnic weather returns :D
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: £57.53 Pigsback Pot: £23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • Loadsabob
    Loadsabob Posts: 662 Forumite
    thank you :T

I'll try this recipe tomorrow, as I recently got hold of a large jar of malt extract, having seen it referred to somewhere on this board, but I've also made loaves with oats in before and they were yummy :j

I must make a malt loaf, I've never tried. I bought the malt extract, but have used half a jar already stirring it into hot milk for a horlix-type drink without all the additives and junk! Yummy!!!!!!!!!!
  • jaybee
    jaybee Posts: 1,555 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    I will try the onion bits and rosemary bread today! I can practically smell it already from your description!!!!

We have a new Lakeland not too far from where I live - big temptation to go in there every week after the Sainsbury's experience. Trouble is, my kitchen is fast becomming a Lakeland Showroom :eek: . Maybe I should be on commission or something 'cos I'm always singing their praises.
  • Queenie
    Queenie Posts: 8,793 Forumite
    jaybee wrote:
    I will try the onion bits and rosemary bread today! I can practically smell it already from your description!!!!

We have a new Lakeland not too far from where I live - big temptation to go in there every week after the Sainsbury's experience. Trouble is, my kitchen is fast becomming a Lakeland Showroom :eek: . Maybe I should be on commission or something 'cos I'm always singing their praises.

Just toasted some of the leftovers for some cheese on toast - OMG - if you make that loaf and enjoy cheese ... it's really, truly scrummy!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: £57.53 Pigsback Pot: £23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • jaybee
    jaybee Posts: 1,555 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Have made the onion & rosemary bread now - fab smell. Tomorrow's lunch will be cheese on toast - can't wait.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure