Bulk LPG - Cheapest suppliers / supply route?

Options

Comments

• DAVID.T_3
    Options
    Other people on this site are saying that your tank must be removed after 20 Years so what would be the point of the test? Can I assume that was a load of !!!!!!!!. God knows how old mine is (although it was tested when I moved suppliers) as it has a company name on it that no longer exists? The paint work on it is in very good condition which I assume will mean no rust?

This is where its a bit confusing, they do need a 20 year test, and some companies find it easier to remove the tank from site to do this, but they dont have to be removed at 20 years. Some do a 20 year test on site including removing all the valves and replacing them, other just check the condition of the valves and replace them only if required. There is nothing in the codes that say it must be removed.
  • DAVID.T_3
    Options
    As stated many times by me LPG has to be 30% cheaper BUT be careful there are extra things to consider when putting central heating in. Surprisingly Oil is slightly more efficient according to LPG suppliers but not by a huge amount. And oil can rise by huge amounts IE a friend best quote around Xmas was 92 ppl. Also oil is extraordinarily expensive to cook with (range). The following is a personally belief based on my readings.
    A/ the US has gone from importing gas to having 100 years of gas reserves (shale gas). Shale gas is also available in Europe. They are drilling in Blackpool now. There are problems of pollution when producing Shale gas in heavily populated areas though.
    2/ Huge amounts of liquid natural gas are being transported to the UK from the Middle East which was not viable before.

Will this lead to large reduction in LPG prices I would be surprised very surprised if it didn't???

No Sorry, shale gas is a type of natural gas and as such would need a huge pressure to turn it to liquid. The reason LPG is so popular is it will turn to liquid at a low pressure allowing it to be transported, it may be good for main gas customers but not lpg ones
  • DAVID.T_3
    Options
    Speakeasy wrote: »
    As suggested, I personally don't think that I would take it any further than that. That is Extra Fuel to get an idea whether prices are going up or down (I don't live in the North West anyway). I don't think that their prices are very competitive and the fluctuations are pretty steep. Credit to them for publishing a monthly price and I am quite sure there may be some good reasons (like service) for someone to decide to pay what could be a higher cost/litre. It also must be good to keep more players in the market place. I just would rather hope these prices do not become the benchmark to go by.

back to my favorite subject.

54p may not seem good to some, but it is actually a fair price at the moment. The reason it looks high is this daft idea by gas companies to charge 33p to some and 79p to others. 54p is probably the average the country is paying for lpg.
  • Speakeasy_2
    Speakeasy_2 Posts: 21 Forumite
    edited 25 January 2011 at 6:23PM
    Options
    I might deserve anything that comes my way because I am a bit lazy with my research. This is regarding David T saying 54p is a fair price for LPG. The oil price is the one that seems to be shooting up more than LPG just now. The present average price by oilpricecheck.co.uk is 58.67 (ex. VAT) for heating oil. At 54p, LPG is only 8% cheaper. I think that I would rather go by HateLPG's figuring based on the Autogas prices and that came out at 45p/litre for LPG (which is still a bit high in my opinion).
  • SD-253
    SD-253 Posts: 314 Forumite
    Options
    Brandeberryj, I agree with what you are saying about the future for LNG. Most of it will still be delivered to the house by pipeline and it may not be too late for some people not too far "out in the sticks" to get it supplied by this means rather by a tanker and LPG..
    Not going to happen you would not believe the prices quoted for having gas pipe brought to your house even when the house behind you has gas thousands of £. On the main road near me they would not even quote to take it a cross the road..[/QUOTE]
    It is not a big deal but I still have it in mind about this question about "oil burning slightly more efficiently" than LPG. Since the LPG suppliers (as far as I can see) do not mention this 30% more heat in a similar volume of oil, maybe "oil burning slightly more efficiently" is their way of acknowledging this .
    No what it means is the best oil boilers are more efficent than the best LPG. As it was on an LPG suppliers site I have to assume it is true.
  • SD-253
    Options
    The oil price is the one that seems to be shooting up more than LPG just now. The present average price by oilpricecheck.co.uk is 58.67 (ex. VAT) for heating oil.

A mate was just offered oil at 92 ppl about 3 weeks ago!
  • SD-253
    Options
    DAVID.T wrote: »
    No Sorry, shale gas is a type of natural gas and as such would need a huge pressure to turn it to liquid. The reason LPG is so popular is it will turn to liquid at a low pressure allowing it to be transported, it may be good for main gas customers but not lpg ones
    Ignoring the fact thats exactly what they do with Natural gas when they transport it from the midlle east.
    What I am actually saying is that an increase in gas will impact all gas markets IE there will be a smaller demand from other users for LPG.
  • Speakeasy_2
    Speakeasy_2 Posts: 21 Forumite
    edited 26 January 2011 at 3:48PM
    Options
    Interesting Brandeberryj what you are saying about cost of getting mains gas. Our neighbourhood had the opportunity about 18 years ago (there was also a cost but relatively less than now). I said yes but not enough people wanted it so an opportunity was missed. As you say, the current cost will be very high even though the future of mains gas is extended through LNG and Shale Gas (a Natural Gas also). Not that it matters a lot to us, I think the Natural Gas is liquefied at extremely low temperature (and small control of pressure) for shipping in the tankers and then restored to a gas at some stage at the other end.
  • HateLPG
    HateLPG Posts: 464 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The oil price is the one that seems to be shooting up more than LPG just now. The present average price by oilpricecheck.co.uk is 58.67 (ex. VAT) for heating oil.

That would be primarily down to two short-term issues:

1. Seasonal variations and especially the supply difficulties and high demand resulting from the recent appaling weather;
    2. The wilful market distortion (profiteering) that DCC and its subsidiaries have been up to lately (see my previous posts on this and the excellent pieces on the Sunday Times over the past few weeks - also mentioned in my previous posts)
  • SD-253
    Options
    DAVID.T wrote: »
    They freeze it by the way and they use the gas itself to supply the energy to do so.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback