If Earning less than £10,000 per year, can you get benefits?

Hi
i need some advice.
I have found a job role which is a foundation placement scheme.
It is 37.5 hours per week and the salary is £9500 annual before deductions.

From my calculations,
net salary for the year would be £8479,
monthly a net of £706,
and £176 weekly.

It works out below minimum wage. However, the salary is a "training bursary".
So how would this affect any chances of benefits?

From the monthly net of £706, i would be spending approximately this:
1 Bedroom rent : £70 a week
Travel costs: £82 a month.
Pay gas and electricity bills also.

What benefits could I claim when doing this job as it classed as a 1 year training scheme?
I am 23 years old.
Would I be able to claim housing benefit or further extra funds ontop of the salary?

Any advice appreciated.
Thanks

Comments

• You may qualify for a small amount of housing benefit (or Local housing allowance if you are a private tenant) and possibly council tax benefit; hard to say the actual sum you could receive (if any) as you haven't mentioned your council tax figures, or whether you are a private tenant.

Go to the website www. entitledto.com and enter your figures for a guide to what you could get in respect of your situation. (There should not be any gaps in that web address)
  • bankkiller wrote: »
    Hi

What benefits could I claim when doing this job as it classed as a 1 year training scheme?
    I am 23 years old.
    Would I be able to claim housing benefit or further extra funds ontop of the salary?

Any advice appreciated.
    Thanks

Firstly, it is illegal to pay below the national minimum wage and they need reporting for doing so if it turns out to be an actual job and not a 1 year training scheme. Secondly, you don't need to earn a minimum amount before being able to get tax credits however you need to work a minimum number of hours. Benefits like housing and council tax are dependent on your income, not the hours you work.
  • Secondly, you don't need to earn a minimum amount before being able to get tax credits however you need to work a minimum number of hours. .
    Although you are correct, it would not apply to the op as he is not 25 or over :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure