PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

March 2017 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• sweetpea26
    sweetpea26 Posts: 831 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Rampant Recycler
    Hi Zippy :)

I haven't joined this challenge in a long time could you please put me down for £350 for March. Will update tomorrow.
    Thank you
  • LesP50
    LesP50 Posts: 25 Forumite
    12.65 in Aldy for cheese, chicken and fruit, & 7.00 at the farmers market yesterday 175-74.63 = 100.37 left!
  • Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,341 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Fruittea wrote: »
    Sorry I didn't reply - I've been travelling. Yes it is Abel and Cole Suffolk Lass. Their trout is fantastic. The cod didn't impress me this time. But I've had the trout quite a few times and it's always good. I only get the fish box every so often. Another good fish supplier is Bernard Russell - you know the meat people. Their cod was brilliant. I usually wait for a Groupon or deal and buy then.
    The other one I would recommend is Ocado for fish - usually brilliant and very fresh. I won't buy from any supermarket accept Morrys.

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I do sometimes get to the local market on a Friday and they are up from Mersea Island (Essex) so relatively local and usually good quality but sometimes I want something else. We do have a Morries - I must check out the fish counter there too.

We are off to the Highlands of Scotland for a wee tramping holiday soon and I love the Scottish locally caught shellfish too.
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 25.04% spent or £754.10/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • Did the week's grocery shop on Saturday and between that and my earlier Ald! trip I've somehow spent $337 - so that's a third of the monthly budget and it's the 6th day of a long month. Doesn't bode well, considering I didn't buy anything in bulk, though. I do have a few soups in the freezer and I definitely overbought on lunch/snack things that I can stretch out for two weeks, but that's a small percentage of the costs. I spent $100 at the greengrocer, of which $80 was fresh seasonal fruit and veg: I can't get that cheaper unless we eat less fresh produce, and I'm obviously not going to do that. $60 at the butcher, that's cheapish cuts (chicken wings, sausages, lamp chops): we could eat less meat, but I already have 3 main meals this week that are veg or fish.

If I don't come out under $1200 I won't be surprised, but at least I'll know for sure.
    MFW diary here. 1 Feb 2017 $229,371 - MFD Feb 2043 :eek: aiming for May 2028
    14 August 2017 - Refinanced: $220,000
    January 2019 $211,580 Current MFD 31 June 2036
  • K9sandFelines
    K9sandFelines Posts: 2,568 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker
    In again this month. Yearly challenge of £4,000 to include food, cleaning and toiletries but not cat food.
    App £333.33 allowed incl for bulk buys.
    Hoping to be around the £250 mark again, as no bulk buys due. However, spent just over £40 so far and have a £50 ish shop due on Tues. Had to stock up on Morrisons dark rum and raisin choc as its suitable for vegans and they haven't had any in for a god six months or so. The rest is vegan/vegetarian bits or things needed for other recipes.
    Meal plan done for the week, as strange rota at work compared to usual.
    GC £150 a month for food, toiletries and cleaning Jan £134.58 Feb £137.18 Mar £103.76 as of 6/4/24
    Forever learning the art of frugality
  • K9sandFelines
    elsiepac wrote: »
    Nice idea Ginmonster; unfortunately to put it in context, I work in IT in an office and a team that is all men - there are 6 women in the company of which I am the only technical one! I think they would just laugh at me if I suggested that to be honest!

On Saturday I picked up my veg suet and my two pots of nutritional yeast (buy one get one half price) - so pleased that someone (I've forgotten who, I'm sorry!) said about H&B, as I'd never thought to look in there and this offer made it cheaper per pot than my Amazon bulk price.

I made hutterite soup over the weekend (recipe from The Great Vegan Bean Book) which was literally using up odds and sods - a great recipe for basically a bean and vegetable soup. I accidentally made mine really spicy though!!

And last night I made a new recipe which was actually really easy and VERY DELICIOUS

It's smokey butternut pasta sauce - here's the link to the recipe: http://ohsheglows.com/2013/10/21/smoky-butternut-squash-sauce-with-pasta-and-greens/

It looks like it has lots of steps but it was very simple so I thoroughly recommend it! I got 3 very generous portions - 2 of which I have frozen.

Date.......Shop......Amount.....Remaining (from £120 budget)
    24 Feb.....M&S.......£03.10.....£116.90
    24 Feb.....A1d1......£08.27.....£108.63
    24 Feb.....T35c0.....£53.56.....£55.07
    25 Feb.....H&B.......£04.93.....£50.14
    25 Feb.....T35c0.....£00.93.....£49.21

I get my nooch on subscribe and save but I m stocked up at the mo. Will restock though next time from H and B being as it works out cheaper.
    GC £150 a month for food, toiletries and cleaning Jan £134.58 Feb £137.18 Mar £103.76 as of 6/4/24
  • K9sandFelines
    Save_Dosh wrote: »
    I does firm it up slightly, but it changes the texture and makes it quite spongey - not personally a fan, but hopefully I was doing it wrong, as I would love to freeze tofu. Maybe it comes out different when cooked. Not done that. I drain, dry and wrap.

I have spent £2.58 of this months budget, but am intending on doing a shop today - hoping to keep it to a minimum, as stores are still high.

I also do thisin its own packets and just defrost on a plate and then squeeze all the water out. I keep meaning to flour it before frying next time, as this apparently really crisps it up also. My favourite brand at the moment if Tofoo.
  • Did the week's grocery shop on Saturday and between that and my earlier Ald! trip I've somehow spent $337 - so that's a third of the monthly budget and it's the 6th day of a long month. Doesn't bode well, considering I didn't buy anything in bulk, though. I do have a few soups in the freezer and I definitely overbought on lunch/snack things that I can stretch out for two weeks, but that's a small percentage of the costs. I spent $100 at the greengrocer, of which $80 was fresh seasonal fruit and veg: I can't get that cheaper unless we eat less fresh produce, and I'm obviously not going to do that. $60 at the butcher, that's cheapish cuts (chicken wings, sausages, lamp chops): we could eat less meat, but I already have 3 main meals this week that are veg or fish.

If I don't come out under $1200 I won't be surprised, but at least I'll know for sure.

Armchair, is it possible to switch some of the veg and fruit to frozen? I'm not entirely aware of Australian prices but maybe frozen is cheaper. Maybe all fruit that's being used for yoghurts or as toppings could be switched to frozen such as strawberries or blueberries. Possible veg swaps could be spinach, mushrooms, corn, etc.
  • sweetpea26
    sweetpea26 Posts: 831 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Rampant Recycler
    down with some kind of bug today so in process of placing a home delivery from Sbugs for tomorrow.

We were away over weekend but spent about £15 previous to that since start of month. Taking part in this challenge will make me more aware of what I am spending and what I am actually buying. I have freezer full so need to go through it and realise exactly what I have in the house.

Thanks for this thread.
  • *Margaret*
    *Margaret* Posts: 142 Forumite
    My first shop of this month, spent £9.91 in Aldi. I think next week's shop will be cheaper as I bought things this week that will last into next week - at least they will if I stop cutting little bits off the cheese and eating them! I've also been given a brocolli by someone who bought two by mistake.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure