Last Share you Bought?

Comments

• gadgetmind
    gadgetmind Posts: 11,130 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Im not sure you have missed it, they seem to be valued at 4PE Is there alot of debt?

Last time I checked First, which was a fair while ago, they had a lot of debt and the money they had borrowed wasn't invested in something that was generating what you'd call huge profits. Of course, this is the business they are in, and I'm not discounting them, but they have never got even close to the top of my list.
    I am not a financial adviser and neither do I play one on television. I might occasionally give bad advice but at least it's free.

Like all religions, the Faith of the Invisible Pink Unicorns is based upon both logic and faith. We have faith that they are pink; we logically know that they are invisible because we can't see them.
  • Glen_Clark
    Glen_Clark Posts: 4,397 Forumite
    BP is cheap and seems to quite like staying cheap.

I guess BP will stay cheap for as long as the lawyers have got their teeth into it because we all wonder how much will be left for shareholders.
    There was some relief when it was realised that all the seaside businesses putting in inflated claims for loss of earnings would have their tax records checked and their earnings assessed by the very modest amounts they had declared for income tax in previous years.:rotfl:
    But the lawyers can still see BPs cash pile so still haven't let go.
    Then there is the question of fines. Has BP made as much political donations as the other companies involved who are getting off comparatively lightly?
    But the same thing could happen to Shell
    “It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.” --Upton Sinclair
  • simonfitba
    simonfitba Posts: 176 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Yesterday I bought Tesco, BP, Vodafone and Barclays.

I just wish I had more spare cash to put into Tesco as I reckon it's really cheap.
  • gadgetmind
    edited 25 May 2012 at 10:59AM
    simonfitba wrote: »
    Yesterday I bought Tesco, BP, Vodafone and Barclays.

Out of interest, why Barclays rather than HSBC. I hold neither but am looking at the latter.
    I just wish I had more spare cash to put into Tesco as I reckon it's really cheap.
    There's nothing wrong with drip-feeding! As long as you make sure chunks are large enough for dealing fees to not eat into profits, a few chunks beats a risky wodge IMO.
    I am not a financial adviser and neither do I play one on television. I might occasionally give bad advice but at least it's free.

Like all religions, the Faith of the Invisible Pink Unicorns is based upon both logic and faith. We have faith that they are pink; we logically know that they are invisible because we can't see them.
  • simonfitba
    gadgetmind wrote: »
    Out of interest, why Barclays rather than HSBC. I hope neither but am looking at the latter.

I just think Barclays have more to gain on their share price in the long run. Plus it's only 10 per cent of my portfolio so was worth a punt. If it had been more I'd have gone with HSBC for stability.

There's nothing wrong with drip-feeding! As long as you make sure chunks are large enough for dealing fees to not eat into profits, a few chunks beats a risky wodge IMO.

Very true. I might slap in more next month after pay day. I reckon any price under 320 is a winner.
  • simonfitba
    Sorry...this bit got lost in the quote.

I just think Barclays have more to gain on their share price in the long run. Plus it's only 10 per cent of my portfolio so was worth a punt. If it had been more I'd have gone with HSBC for stability.
  • gadgetmind
    edited 25 May 2012 at 12:04PM
    simonfitba wrote: »
    only 10 per cent of my portfolio .

I know it's not easy when starting a portfolio, but it's generally best to keep individual companies at sub 5%, and individual sectors below 10%, and you then also need exposure to other territories, cap sizes and most importantly, asset class.

(Some of my tech share holdings break all of these rules, and many times over, but that just kind of happened!)

• simonfitba
    Good advice. As you rightly say, I am starting out. And that 10 per cent will hopefully become a good deal less as my portfolio increases.
  • Bought some RRS‎ - Randgold Resources Friday, as it dipped again. Anyone else can comment on the company?
  • sabretoothtigger
    sabretoothtigger Posts: 10,035 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    They have gold mines in Mali which is under Al Qaeda in the north but the mines are in the south.
    Otherwise they are ok I guess. Another cheap gold mine is CEY Centamin, they are in Egypt far away from most riots but have had some strikes and loss of subsidy from government.
    Half the PE of RRS, not sure if they are less risky or not as Egypt can have terrorism also
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure