Can't access Santander online banking without registering OTP on phone.

Comments

• valballard wrote: »
    I complained to Santander when I found out that I would have to register a mobile phone in order to manage my current account successfully.

I do find the Santander mobile phone text message system much more convenient than the card readers other banks ask you to use.
    After all, you only need it if you want to set-up a new transfer-payee, not for everyday banking.

Are you sure that First Direct has not one or the other system in place? And if they don't use it at present,
    has no intention ever to introduce it?
  • notbritishgas
    notbritishgas Posts: 2,304 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    I have just received the message from Santander saying my A&L account will shortly be moved to Santander and that registering my mobile would be required to fully use my account.

Reading the FAQ's and the info available I have no problem with doing that, especially as it is designed to protect my account from some unauthorised transactions.

My OH has a Barclays account and to fully use that account requires a PinSentry (think thats what it is called). She has declined that so only has read only access. I think the Santander is a better system.

Yorkshire BSociety use a similar system to Santander for high risk transactions, sending a robotic message to your home phone, similar I suppose to a text message.
  • Dear All,

I've just transferred from A&L to Santander and have also discovered the requirement for a portable telephone in order to access all accounts.

I will be moving from Santander, probably back to First Direct. It is a ridiculous over complication to what is already a secure process IMHO,

regards,
    Colin
  • MKBS
    MKBS Posts: 17 Forumite
    For my biz account I've been clicking through with the OTP "register later" option for as long as I can remember... until this morning when access to my account was denied until I rang Santander's freephone number to confirm I didn't want OTP.

Of course, I vented, just a little. I was told I could get a cheap cellular telephone apparatus from a store such as Tesco (which I rarely visit). My reluctance is predicated on the poor reach of these new-fangled radio waves to my address; and little need for such a telephone: I don't get out much.

Other banks issue their own card readers. Santander are no doubt correct that such readers are more likely to be misplaced, or unavailable when needed, than one's `phone, but PayPal manage to send PINs to landlines, which is a system requiring no additional equipment. No doubt they can send to a registered mobile number, too.

In my own case, I've got all my foreseeable regular payments set up. For any new ones I'll either have to ring up Santander, or transfer the funds to my non-Santander current account first.
  • claire16c
    claire16c Posts: 7,074 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker

My OH has a Barclays account and to fully use that account requires a PinSentry (think thats what it is called). She has declined that so only has read only access. I think the Santander is a better system.

I thought if you logged into barclays using the old 5 digit pin they gave you you could still access your account, or even set it up so that you could do that? I use the pinsentry thing so Ive obviously never tried it, but I thought I read on the website that you could do that.

I dont know why you want to decline using it though if it means you can't do online banking?
  • OH well I read all your posts and sigh - I don't have a bank account so we use my husbands and we can't get another account or make this one joint because my credit rating is too low, so this is what we are left with BUT BUT BUT we live in an area with no signal. Tonight we tried phoning the 0845 number, but they wouldn't pass us through security because I am in charge of the money and he had no idea who paid what so when I gave him the info verbally they refused it. My husband ended up driving 3 miles and phoning my landline with an OTP hopefully before the session expired only to find that they 'couldn't make a change due to technical issues please try again late'. SO I can't change it, but I really really would if I could. any other foot voters have my support.
  • dosh37
    dosh37 Posts: 354 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 4 February 2012 at 10:47AM
    I've just hit this issue with my Santander (originally Abbey) business bank account.
    Like many others I declined the registration process for months because I am unable to receive a mobile signal.
    Now there seems to be no option. Why can't they use secure email to send a OTP instead?

I don't have much faith in an organisation that can't even get the spelling correct on their registration page...

Set Up One Time Passcode (OTP) service - Register

Please enter your mobile phone number below leaving out the leading zero and any spaces. For example, if your UK mobile phone number is 07712123XXX:
    • You shoud enter 7717123XXX
    • You shoud NOT enter 07717 123 XXX
    Wen I was at skool, shoud was spelt wiv an 'l', innit.
  • rb10
    rb10 Posts: 6,334 Forumite
    dosh37 wrote: »
    Why can't they use secure email to send a OTP instead?

Because email is by its very nature not secure.
  • adamc260
    adamc260 Posts: 2,055 Forumite
    dosh37 wrote: »
    I don't have much faith in an organisation that can't even get the spelling correct on their registration page...

They're not the first and won't be the last.
  • Could a helpful forumite new to Santander please confirm the position today regarding OTP?
    Does one need a mobile phone to login to Santander online and does it tell you this after you've filled in the online banking registration page ? The terms and conditions state without it, service will be limited.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure