From debt to freedom...

Options

Comments

• Honeysucklelou2
    Honeysucklelou2 Posts: 4,657 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Pottered at home again today, more washing done and dried. Spent a bit of time sowing runner bean seeds which are now in the allotment greenhouse. The toddler is really enjoying time spent in the garden. Watching him run around and play is a joy in itself. Although one of the teenagers was annoyed to be pottering at home again I have had a NSD which I'm pleased about.
    paydbx2024 #2 £480/£5000 . Mortgage £144k start ~ £148k Jun 23 -
    2024 savings challenge £5/£2000
    EF £140. Savings 2 £30.00. Weekly savings envelope #17
  • Honeysucklelou2
    Honeysucklelou2 Posts: 4,657 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Sold 2 plants today at the garden gate. Both were hardy perennials that I's sown last year and potted on and overwintered. That brings sales of plants this year to £14.50. Hoping to go to the bank on Monday and pay into my bank account. I hope to use £7to buy more seed/compost and use the £7.50 to put towards a debt.

3 of my eBay listings have sold too so hoping when all that has been posted that will be a few extra pounds.
  • Cherryfudge
    Cherryfudge Posts: 10,036 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    That's good going!

Aren't seeds getting expensive? :( But the results are as wonderful as ever.
    I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
    The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons. 5/68
    20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
  • Honeysucklelou2
    Options
    Seed costs really are shocking at times. I bought a packet of tomato seeds last week which cost £2.99. The variety is "Sungold" so a cherry tomato which I hope we will be able to harvest quite a few tomatoes from. Thought there would be about 50 seeds, was shocked to find 8. Will be tending those plants very carefully!! Other times it's the other way round, lots of seeds for not very much!

Had a spendy day yesterday as we went out for lunch. Don't normally do this but it was planned in advance and had been booked quite some time ago. Will be trying hard to make this coming week as no or low spend as possible.

Started to help DD1 to sort out her student finance application. Scary figures. Not quite sure how it all works as HMRC have asked for household income for tax year 15/16. The ex and I lived under the same roof then but he chose not to contribute to household expenses. There doesn't seem to be a box to tick or explain scenarios like this.
  • Cherryfudge
    Options
    While I can see why they ask for income from a previous year, it's not a fair system. There's a Students section on this website that might help, plus whatever discussions on the Forum. I'm sorry I can't be more useful but there are bound to be people with up-to-the-minute knowledge out there.

I've had 'Sungold' tomatoes a few years ago. - totally delicious. :)

• Honeysucklelou2
    Options
    Thank you for the suggestion Cherryfudge. Hadn't realised there is a student section on MSE so will go and find it.

Packed up and posted off 2 EBay sales that finished over the weekend. Pleased that stuff sold. It wasn't for much but every little helps. Paid my plant money into the bank today. I've decided to halve it and use £7.50 for seeds and £7 off the family debt. Will use the eBay sales to add to the £7 so my family get £20 in all. I know not much but chipping away.

Trying to make groceries stretch as much as possible. Tonight's tea was jacket potatoes with tuna plait and salad, followed by blackcurrant and almond torte using frozen blackcurrants from the allotment. Tomorrow I'm at my parents for tea so will be making an iced carrot cake to take for dessert. Wednesday the children are with the ex for the day so I can have soup or a pasty from the freezer. Just need to plan through the Easter weekend then.

Sunflowers and cauliflowers have germinated as have the Sun gold tomatoes. Cornflowers and calendulas are getting to the potting on stage. I'm enjoying being busy in the garden and making the most of the time off work. When I go back after Easter I know time to potter won't happen.
  • Honeysucklelou2
    Options
    Paid plant money into the bank and have enjoyed browsing a seed website and choosing a variety of cosmos, a variety of Heuchera and chick peas. Didn't think about growing those so looking forward to sowing those when they come. It was good to shop knowing that the recent plant sales have made buying these seeds possible.

Had a nice couple of days. Went to a NT property yesterday with two friends. I'm a member so no extra cost. Just bought lunch for myself and the toddler. It was a birthday treat so made the most of enjoying it. Other children were with the ex for the day so a rare day off for me.

Got to get busy today with planning and preparation for the new term.
  • Honeysucklelou2
    Options
    Had a busy couple of days preparing for the new term so hopefully ready to go on Tuesday. Been trying to keep on top of the garden by potting on seedlings tray at a time. The snapdragons and calendulas are at the allotment greenhouse waiting to be planted out as soon as I have a bed that is weed-free. Cauliflowers have germinated. I'm looking forward to seeing how these grow as I've not tried these before.

I rang the bank yesterday to get an up-to-date balance on my loan and to my amazement it's down to £1094. I had been trying to keep an eye on it and record what I thought was being paid off the capital each month. I pay £290 a month so had allowed £50 for interest. Turns out the interest is now about £16 a month. I guess as one gets to the end of the life of the loan, the balance of interest and capital being paid gets greater in favour of the capital. That was a nice moment realising I am slightly less in debt than I thought. 4 more payments and the loan is done :j

Holidays seem to mean that the grocery budget goes awry. The children have been grazing throughout the last couple of weeks, so I've been using up different things in the cupboards and freeze. On Friday we had chick pea curry which I've never cooked before but was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was and tasty. I found some lamb in the freezer so will make a lamb stew in the slow cooker for tonight's meal.
  • Cherryfudge
    Options
    That's great news about the loan! The snowball is gathering momentum. :)

Chickpea curry is a favourite of mine too - I add sultanas, apple & pineapple. Can you tell I like fruit in it?!

Happy Easter!

• Honeysucklelou2
    Options
    Mmmmm...I added sultanas but hadn't thought about apples and pineapple. Will use that tip for next time I make the curry. Tea last night was lamb stew which the 15 year old DS pronounced as delicious, which given he can be a fussy eater was good news! Did simmer muffins for pudding which I really enjoy.

Had free fun yesterday. I had bought Easter eggs for the children but did our own Easter egg hunt. I used some of the plant labels and put a sticker round each one with a child's name on. Next to the allotment is a slope covered in hazel and hawthorn trees. At the top of the slope is a wooded scrubby area that can be used ( usually very good at blackberry picking time). I hid the labels in and around the allotment and the slope and ground at the top. I did it last year and was amazed that DS1 (15 ) has been asking for weeks if we can repeat it. I think a new tradition has started. When all labels had been found, the children exchanged them for the eggs which I'd put in the shed. It was so lovely sat on an old sleeper, enjoying the sunshine and the abundant primroses. We even saw 3 swallows as we were sat there.:)

On our return to the house I noticed that the water wasn't draining out of the kitchen sink. I did my usual trick of using an old skewer to make sure nothing is blocking anywhere, to no avail. So I had a go and undoing the waste pipes and clearing them out. Sounds disgusting but got it all cleared, the water now drains away quickly. I didn't have to call a plumber:j or the ex and just did it myself.

Hoping to get out for a decent walk today and then will have to get prepared for the new term starting tomorrow. I have so enjoyed the Easter break and spending time with my children and in the garden.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family