The Giving Up/ Cutting Down alcohol support thread - number 13

Comments

• smiley_77
    smiley_77 Posts: 110 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 17 July 2017 at 6:50PM
    12/30Big FAT fail!!!! Ive drank for the last three days. Massive work stress working all day and into the night. I know it shouldnt be a reason but i couldnt help myself. I am posting now to try to stop.Before i come off the wagon altogether. Why can some people have a few drinks and others need to go to oblivion?" COLOR]
    Do I really need it? Probably not.:A
  • CuppaTea
    CuppaTea Posts: 1,331 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    1 more for me please shaggy
    Live for the moment and plan for the future
  • Honey_Bear
    Honey_Bear Posts: 7,077 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 18 July 2017 at 8:08AM
    smiley_77 wrote: »
    I am posting now to try to stop.Before i come off the wagon altogether. Why can some people have a few drinks and others need to go to oblivion?"

I don't know Smiley, and if I did I'd have done something about it years ago rather than keep drinking until I had to stop completely. My OH can stop after one or two and he makes it look easy, but I never could. Never wanted to stop, and the more I drank the more I wanted to drink. Simple as that. I hope you find your happy equilibrium, I really do.

Never forget that even one drink you don't have, or one whole evening off the booze, or one evening that you consciously stop because you have a lightbulb moment and realise carrying on would be an act of self-sabotage - is a real victory. Keep posting, we're all rooting for you.

Stopping altogether is a toughie to begin with but with the right support and tweaks to life, perfectly possible for most of us, gets easier as time goes on, and finally an absolute liberation. I could slip up at any time and I'd be right back where I started, but I honestly don't want to go back to that life. I've always known that the easiest way for me to do that would be to have 'just one' because 'one wouldn't hurt.' It wouldn't, but I wouldn't stop at one because I never did. It's knowing that that keeps me stopped.

I used to dread evenings out with friends because they always ended up with me drinking too much and feeling $*it for at least a couple of days afterwards although that didn't stop me drinking at home on those days. One of the couples is getting married this weekend and I'll be the only sober one amongst us, and all I can feel is relief.

18/31 please, Shaggy.
    Better is good enough.
  • cathybird
    cathybird Posts: 13,284 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Morning all, 15/21 for me please. :)
    In April I am taking a break from buying: Books
  • sukeyboo
    sukeyboo Posts: 2,053 Forumite
    10/12 for today please Shaggy
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,572 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Out for a (planned) meal with a few drinks last night. I enjoyed it.

Back on the wagon today.:)

7 AFDs please Shaggy
  • 14/25

Lots on right now not helping. Planned drink Thursday and possibly tommorow which is annoying.
    2017- 5 credit cards plus loan
    Overdraft And 1 credit card paid off.

2018 plans - reduce debt
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,572 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    14/25

Lots on right now not helping. Planned drink Thursday and possibly tommorow which is annoying.

Don't worry PSL every one counts.

I know we all get unexpected invitations but I find that if I plan round my diary it helps. I forget who it was but we had a poster some time ago who didn't want to give up but beat herself up every time she had a drink. That wouldn't work for me. I enjoy my planned drinking days as much as I feel good about about being AF.
  • PriceySOS
    PriceySOS Posts: 812 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    14 please, Shaggy, ta
    maman wrote: »
    . I enjoy my planned drinking days as much as I feel good about about being AF.
    Well put, Maman - me too :cool:
  • CuppaTea
    CuppaTea Posts: 1,331 Forumite
    Another 1 more please shaggy
    Live for the moment and plan for the future
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income