Cambridge BS account maturity

Options
If anyone has an account maturing with Cambridge BS, it might be worth if you give them a call before maturity to ensure your written instructions will be carried out promptly.

I had an account maturing on Friday and had expected to receive the cheque with the matured balance on Saturday, or today at the very latest. I had sent them the relevant instructions on their maturity form, together with the passbook, by snail mail over a month ago.

On Friday afternoon, they sent me a secure message asking me to confirm my written instructions. Weird thing to do, and weird that they didn't ask me before the maturity date. I confirmed as requested and was then told a cheque had been drawn on my account on the Friday and they hoped it would be with me Saturday or today. Well, it wasn't, and they can't actually be sure that they mailed the cheque. They are presently investigating.

Meanwhile, I am not impressed. I wish they'd offer bank transfers and didn't insist on cheques.

Comments

• karlie88
    karlie88 Posts: 9,114 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    colsten wrote: »
    If anyone has an account maturing with Cambridge BS, it might be worth if you give them a call before maturity to ensure your written instructions will be carried out promptly.

I had an account maturing on Friday and had expected to receive the cheque with the matured balance on Saturday, or today at the very latest. I had sent them the relevant instructions on their maturity form, together with the passbook, by snail mail over a month ago.

On Friday afternoon, they sent me a secure message asking me to confirm my written instructions. Weird thing to do, and weird that they didn't ask me before the maturity date. I confirmed as requested and was then told a cheque had been drawn on my account on the Friday and they hoped it would be with me Saturday or today. Well, it wasn't, and they can't actually be sure that they mailed the cheque. They are presently investigating.

Meanwhile, I am not impressed. I wish they'd offer bank transfers and didn't insist on cheques.

They do offer bank transfers (via FP) - see my post here.

I remember the launch of Cambridge BS's regular saver last year - it was popular. So popular that they stopped phone applications and then it was withdrawn altogether soon after. The launch of their next regular saver was limited to branch and postal applications and they eventually allowed phone applications.

Like you, I got a maturity instruction form, but I figured it wasn't worth the hassle and they'd be inundated with forms. I got 2 subsequent phone calls asking me to return the form, I explained on both occasions I wanted to do open a new regular saver, transfer £300 into it from the recently matured regular saver and send over the remaining balance via FP. They said this was fine on both occasions, but I did sense an element of dissatisfaction.

Phoned them up on the day of maturation and was told to send the maturity form. I told the phone adviser that I'd like to sort it out over the phone, she said that it would not be possible (i.e. it physically can't be done). I mentioned my previous conversations, silence for 5 seconds, she put me on hold for 5 seconds (presumably to take a sip of water) and came back to inform me that we can go ahead and sort it out over the phone.

In short, I haven't been that impressed with their service, especially the bit where they lied to me.

To the OP, is there anyway you can ask them to forget about the cheque and send over the payment as a FP? Much easier and you'll have your funds within the hour.
    :grouphug: :D Official MSE canny forumite and HUKD VIP badge member :D :grouphug:
  • mgarl10024
    mgarl10024 Posts: 643 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've had mixed results with Cambridge, but I do like them.

I do find them very friendly and keen to help. However, with this account, there was a minor issue with how the interest was calculated, and then my GF's account balance was transferred a day later than mine (losing a day's interest on the full balance) even though they matured on the same day and the transfers were to the same place.

I just think they've been inundated this time last year, and now all those accounts are maturing they're being inundated again now.
  • Mee
    Mee Posts: 1,441 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Agree generally. I have no problems with when I received my cheque etc. I have however had real concerns about the competence of some of their counter staff, so have opted for one of their fixed rate e-bonds to keep my option opened for another year and to keep me away from their staff.
    Free thinker.:cool:
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 10 July 2017 at 9:03PM
    Options
    karlie88 wrote: »
    They do offer bank transfers (via FP) - see my post here.
    They couldn't do one for me as they don't have any current account for me on file. To add one of those, I would have to send them a cheque, as proof that it was my account!!!

With hindsight, I should have asked them a month ago whether they can do a bank transfer.
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,210 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    colsten wrote: »
    They couldn't do one for me as they don't have any current account for me on file. To add one of those, I would have to send them a cheque, as proof that it was my account!!!

With hindsight, I should have asked them a month ago whether they can do a bank transfer.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but of little practical use:cool:

Have you got your cheque yet colsten?

My account matured on 4th. Cheque arrived 6th and paid into my Co-operative account via Post office on the same day. I'm waiting for the funds to appear so I can pay the balance on my October cruise, and the rest will sit in Santander @ 1.5% to feed into multiple RS accounts on 1st August. I'm not overly concerned by the loss of interest:p
  • mgarl10024
    mgarl10024 Posts: 643 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 11 July 2017 at 10:30AM
    Options
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5664395 might be of interest to Colsten or others for future.

Setting up the electronic payment required an adding of a nominated account. To do this they wanted to check my record for ID, but as the savings account I wanted it paid into wasn't on my record, I had to sent a copy of a statement.

Bit of hassle, but perhaps worth it if you are to continue saving with them?
  • castle96
    castle96 Posts: 2,885 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Karlie
    In one of your posts you mentioned leaving a £1 from your maturing RS. Why was this ? To make it easier to open a new RS ...?
  • Mee
    Mee Posts: 1,441 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    badger09 wrote: »

I'm waiting for the funds to appear so I can pay the balance on my October cruise, and the rest will sit in Santander @ 1.5% to feed into multiple RS accounts on 1st August. I'm not overly concerned by the loss of interest:p

Off topic - but would love you hear whether you would recommend your cruise company, boat or destination etc...
    Free thinker.:cool:
  • badger09
    Options
    castle96 wrote: »
    Karlie
    In one of your posts you mentioned leaving a £1 from your maturing RS. Why was this ? To make it easier to open a new RS ...?

To retain her status as an existing customer?

Presumably on the assumption that if any future offerings are restricted to existing customers, then she qualifies. If they open to everyone, she still has a head start & will probably avoid any potential delay over ID checks.
  • badger09
    Options
    Mee wrote: »
    Off topic - but would love you hear whether you would recommend your cruise company, boat or destination etc...

Rather than wander completely off topic, I will PM you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure