Resignation to dismissal

I have considered resigning from my role and have now done so via email providing the nessesary notice as per the agreement. My director did not acknowledge my notice to leave in writing. I was then called into a meeting to be told my notice is irrelevant as I will be under investigation for disaplinary or dismissal for misgross conduct.

I have now received a letter clearly stating the cases brought to me but I am concerned the same approach hasn't been taken with other members of staff, is this fair?

Can my letter of resignation provided before hand be dismissed because of the investigation?

Comments

• IAmWales
    IAmWales Posts: 2,024 Forumite
    * Gross misconduct.

You can be dismissed in your notice period. How long have you worked there? Are the complaints against you true?

• I have now received a letter clearly stating the cases brought to me but I am concerned the same approach hasn't been taken with other members of staff, is this fair?

It doesn't matter if it's fair; it's not illegal.
  • I have considered resigning from my role and have now done so via email providing the nessesary notice as per the agreement. My director did not acknowledge my notice to leave in writing. I was then called into a meeting to be told my notice is irrelevant as I will be under investigation for disaplinary or dismissal for misgross conduct.

I have now received a letter clearly stating the cases brought to me but I am concerned the same approach hasn't been taken with other members of staff, is this fair?

Can my letter of resignation provided before hand be dismissed because of the investigation?

Well they can't stop you leaving at the end of your notice. However, if they consider you to be guilty of gross misconduct then you can be dismissed without notice so, if a disciplinary meeting is convened during your notice period and you are "found guilty", then your employment could end sooner.

If you have been employed for more than two years you could potentially challenge any dismissal if you feel it is (legally) unfair.

If less than two years then you cannot claim unfair dismissal (apart from under a very few circumstances) but you could still claim wrongful dismissal unless guilty of gross misconduct but all that you wield would be notice pay.
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    Well they can't stop you leaving at the end of your notice. However, if they consider you to be guilty of gross misconduct then you can be dismissed without notice so, if a disciplinary meeting is convened during your notice period and you are "found guilty", then your employment could end sooner.

If you have been employed for more than two years you could potentially challenge any dismissal if you feel it is (legally) unfair.

If less than two years then you cannot claim unfair dismissal (apart from under a very few circumstances) but you could still claim wrongful dismissal unless guilty of gross misconduct but all that you wield would be notice pay.
    All that being true, of equal concern or even greater concern is your reference. They can't stop you resigning (with notice), but they can state that you resigned whilst under investigation for gross misconduct. Or even that you were dismissed for gross misconduct. If toy fail to mention this to potential new employers, and they found out, even after a job had been started, toy could be dismissed for not telling them.

So the obvious questions - apart from how long have you worked there? - would be why were you resigning before having another job to go to (which appears to be the case) and was that's a result of knowing they were looking for something/ would find something; and did you do it???

You must be clear that resigning first does not clear the way for you to fail to disclose this too future employers, or saying that you resigned whilst making no mention of the disciplinary. If you choose to withhold that information, that is a choice for you - but when/ if found out it could go a lot worse for you. Technically, a new employer could dismiss at any time, even months or years later if they found out that you withheld something this important. And unfortunately the truth has a way of catching up with people.
  • ohreally
    ohreally Posts: 7,525 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    What's the background to this?
    Don’t be a can’t, be a can.
  • I hope the OP's forum name is not their real name.
    "You were only supposed to blow the bl**dy doors off!!"
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,455 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    If you are saying others have been guilty of gross misconduct but no action has been taken against them it's irrelevant. It's like complaining that only you have been stopped for speeding when others got away with it. If you have been guilty of gross misconduct that is no defence.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure