Returning uniform etc to employer.

I have been absent from work for 6 months and for the purpose of my question, the reason is irrelevant, I think. Anyway, I have 3 uniform tunics, piles of blank forms (about 6 inches thick), masses of personal protective equipment (6 boxes of gloves and 3 packs of aprons), training folders, personal alarm, bottles of hand gel and an ID card.

I am unable to drive to the office to return these items and taking it all in on the bus would be impossible. My question is how can I get all of this stuff back to the office? I could post the ID card but not the rest. There is no-one who can give me a lift and I know that I cannot face the office staff in person anyway ( there is a reason for this).

If I post the ID card, given that other staff do come out to work in the area where I live, would it be unreasonable of me to pack all of the stuff up neatly and leave it in my porch or unlocked garage for them to collect within a certain timescale, say, 3 months? I could write a note to this effect and put it in the envelope with the ID card. I am trying to complete this return in a courteous and non confrontational way, because that is my nature, despite having been treated absolutely appallingly by my employer.

Would what I propose be reasonable, especially considering that my employer has always been aware that I have always had to catch the bus whenever I have had to visit the office?

Just for info, my employer is aware that I have been treated appallingly by my line manager.

I have waffled probably, but if anyone is still reading this, I would appreciate advice, especially with regard to any legal aspects considering that all of the stuff is the property of my employer.

Thank you.
:snow_grin"Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow........":snow_grin

Comments

• ReadingTim
    ReadingTim Posts: 3,970 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    If the building has security staff who are there 24/7, you could always pre-book a minicab one way (ie there) and drop it off at the weekend. You can then get the bus home.

I'm not sure you can force them to come and collect it - the onus is probably on you to return it. All that said, have they actually asked for the stuff back?
  • Personally I wouldn't send the ID card back through the post - even with recorded items it can get lost.

Assuming that you're responsible for the items safe keeping, I would imaging storing them in an unlocked garage / porch wouldn't be acceptable either.

If other members of staff visit the area, then I would suggest that you arrange a mutually convenient time for them to call at the house where they sign a prepared list of what they've collected.

That way you've covered yourself.
  • ceegee wrote: »
    would it be unreasonable of me to pack all of the stuff up neatly and leave it in my porch or unlocked garage for them to collect within a certain timescale, say, 3 months? I could write a note to this effect and put it in the envelope with the ID card. I am trying to complete this return in a courteous and non confrontational way,
    What you propose is not "courteous" at all.

Why can't you simply parcel the items up and return them by courier/post? I appreciate money might be tight, but these items are not your property and certainly can't simply be left in your porch awaiting "collection" for three months.

Look for an alternative.

Perhaps a friend will oblige and return them on your behalf?
  • I disagree with the other replies. I would merely ask your employer to make arrangements to collect these things from you at a mutually agreeable time.

If you are no longer in their employment then I wouldn't consider that you should be required to go to any expense to return these items.
    "When the people fear the government there is tyranny, when the government fears the people there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson
  • IAmWales
    IAmWales Posts: 2,024 Forumite
    I disagree with the other replies. I would merely ask your employer to make arrangements to collect these things from you at a mutually agreeable time.

If you are no longer in their employment then I wouldn't consider that you should be required to go to any expense to return these items.

It is normal practice that you return any property to your employer when you leave. It is also courteous. The employment contract may have ended but that does not absolve you of your obligation to return their items.

ceegee, speak to someone at work and ask if someone could collect the items (from you, not your garage), but be aware that it is your responsibility, so they may say no. A taxi in one direction would be an idea, if there's one you are confident you can rely on they may deliver it without you being there.
  • ReadingTim
    ReadingTim Posts: 3,970 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I disagree with the other replies. I would merely ask your employer to make arrangements to collect these things from you at a mutually agreeable time.

I think you'll find that most, if not all, contracts state that it is the employee's responsibility to return all company property before their employment ceases. The onus is therefore on the employee, not the employer.

Given the employer has the right to pursue the employee for the cost of the non-returned items, the employee is in the weaker position. Whilst one hopes an agreeable time and method of return can be reached, the fact that the employee is in the weaker position means it is likely that they will have to be the one who compromises, not the employer, which may include incurring a minor cost in returning said property.

It's legitimate to question how to minimise that cost in a mutually acceptable way, it's not legitimate (or very wise) to attempt to avoid it.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 20 September 2017 at 2:44PM
    Why would you think the employer has to carry the burden of cost to recover their own property?

Regardless of the reasons for the OP being reluctant to return the items in person, that doesn't mean the employer has to collect instead.

The OP will have signed an agreement that all this work equipment and uniform is only on loan, so it's his own responsibility to return it on termination of his employment.

To be honest, the very likely result of this is that the employer will simply write these items off and the OP will be stuck with disposing of them himself anyway.

EDIT;
    Why does the OP have "six boxes of gloves and three packs of aprons" at his home in the first place? Surely this equipment should have remained at the workplace rather than brought home on the bus?
  • ceegee wrote: »
    I have been absent from work for 6 months and for the purpose of my question, the reason is irrelevant, I think. Anyway, I have 3 uniform tunics, piles of blank forms (about 6 inches thick), masses of personal protective equipment (6 boxes of gloves and 3 packs of aprons), training folders, personal alarm, bottles of hand gel and an ID card.

I am unable to drive to the office to return these items and taking it all in on the bus would be impossible. My question is how can I get all of this stuff back to the office? I could post the ID card but not the rest. There is no-one who can give me a lift and I know that I cannot face the office staff in person anyway ( there is a reason for this).

If I post the ID card, given that other staff do come out to work in the area where I live, would it be unreasonable of me to pack all of the stuff up neatly and leave it in my porch or unlocked garage for them to collect within a certain timescale, say, 3 months? I could write a note to this effect and put it in the envelope with the ID card. I am trying to complete this return in a courteous and non confrontational way, because that is my nature, despite having been treated absolutely appallingly by my employer.

Would what I propose be reasonable, especially considering that my employer has always been aware that I have always had to catch the bus whenever I have had to visit the office?

Just for info, my employer is aware that I have been treated appallingly by my line manager.

I have waffled probably, but if anyone is still reading this, I would appreciate advice, especially with regard to any legal aspects considering that all of the stuff is the property of my employer.

Thank you.
    Bus in and drop it off?

Not that difficult is it?
    Don't trust a forum for advice. Get proper paid advice. Any advice given should always be checked
  • bugslet
    bugslet Posts: 6,874 Forumite
    If I was the OP's employer and presuming I know that he has transport problems and as he is out of work, not a lot of cash, and I had people in the area, I'd just ask one of the other staff to collect it.

If I was the OP, I'd just ring and say that you have this stuff, struggling to get it back and could they collect it.

The onus is indeed on the employee but in this case a bit of meeting in the middle wouldn't go amiss.
  • Alter_ego
    Alter_ego Posts: 3,842 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary

EDIT;
    Why does the OP have "six boxes of gloves and three packs of aprons" at his home in the first place? Surely this equipment should have remained at the workplace rather than brought home on the bus?

Sounds like a care worker to me.
    I am not a cat (But my friend is)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family