Student finance confusion

I have a little bit of a complicated situation and I'm trying to make sense of it and second guess the outcome, which is doing me no good at all!

I am a second year nursing student however, due to previous qualifications and experience, this is my first year of university study. I am lucky enough to have been sponsered for a small amount, approximately £7000pa less than my 'normal' wage, but the trust have refused to cover tuition fees. I used the calculator and applied, based on what was showed, for both tuition fees and a maintenance loan. My partner is not a high earner but his last P60 showed gross pay of £19000 for 15/16 tax year however this year, due to being placed on a zero hours contract, his earnings will be approx £3000 less than that.

I am still awaiting the outcome from student finance, I literally have no idea what they have 'granted' and the uni have twice requested my SDU number so they can get their tuition fees but, as I understand it, you don't get given this until your application has been approved?

I understand the loan is means tested and have input our full household income but I'm now starting to worry that they will come back and say I can only have the minimum.......is there anyone who could shed some light on what will probably happen here? I have spoken several times to student finance however they can't tell me what I have been approved for. I really need to start making financial plans but I'm finding it impossible!

*the university thing has happened really quick, the trust only approached me at the end of July so I have gone from that decision to starting in 6 weeks which is why prior financial planning didn't happen!

Comments

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport