PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Waiting for a buyer... Anyone want to join me?

Options

Comments

• smallholdingsister
    Options
    Quite so, glasgowdan.
    There are plenty of other threads for house price crash talk.
  • forum_posts
    Options
    I'll join this thread.

I had my house listed with an estate agent, end of June to middle of August, who got the listing details wrong on Rightmove and even though I asked for them to correct it several times they still didn't. They also took several weeks to give me a copy of the contract and their communication was terrible. I only had 5 viewings while with them. The estate agents where not right for me so we decided to terminate the contract early.

I took a break for a while and decided to list with a new estate agent end of September. So far I've had 16 viewings, 3 of which were 2nd viewings.

I did have an offer of 9% below asking price and a stipulation of a turn around of 8 weeks from a viewer from the first estate agent who came back for a 2nd viewing with the second estate agent. I said no on both counts.

Hoping to get more viewers in the New Year and hopefully an offer closer to asking price.
  • smallholdingsister
    Options
    Welcome and Good Luck!
  • cashbackproblems
    Options
    I have to agree with the above my partner is an EA and she has seen recently vendors think the NY will magically make buyers offer closer to asking when in fact nothing has changed and the news recently is next year prices will be flat i.e. offers made below asking. Plus more people will be listing Q1 2016 so more supply. So that 10%-20% offer below asking you rejected, might actually seem quite good in 2017.

Im not a crashist and don't think we will see an overnight crash but its only worth what people will pay and after 20+ viewings its a signal the market doesn't value it as you do. Most smarter people (especially landlords) sold in early 2016 when prices were sky high and no knocked confidence from brexit etc. Now you will not get those levels in 2017, however many agents you list with. Remember these days 99% of contact is made through right move so agent irrelevant
  • forum_posts
    Options
    Makes no difference at all to me whether people choose to listen to my opinion/advice, they're entitled to put their house on for any price they like and leave in on for as long as they like... I'm entitled to the opinion that they're deluded timewasters.

If you think they are "deluded timewasters" what does that make you and crash time etc then if people are not following your advice?

If I was you I'd give up on posting on this part of the forum as it seems to be a waste of time for you if no-one seems to be listening to you other than the other forum members of the same mentality.
  • Crashy_Time
    Crashy_Time Posts: 13,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I have to agree with the above my partner is an EA and she has seen recently vendors think the NY will magically make buyers offer closer to asking when in fact nothing has changed and the news recently is next year prices will be flat i.e. offers made below asking. Plus more people will be listing Q1 2016 so more supply. So that 10%-20% offer below asking you rejected, might actually seem quite good in 2017.

Im not a crashist and don't think we will see an overnight crash but its only worth what people will pay and after 20+ viewings its a signal the market doesn't value it as you do. Most smarter people (especially landlords) sold in early 2016 when prices were sky high and no knocked confidence from brexit etc. Now you will not get those levels in 2017, however many agents you list with. Remember these days 99% of contact is made through right move so agent irrelevant

From what I have read of this thread most posters couldn`t process a 20% below asking price offer, they would believe that they misheard or misread I think! There are people here getting annoyed, and refusing, offers of single digit % below, which I find unbelievable in this economic/political climate.
  • cashbackproblems
    Options
    What difference does it make to you, or anyone else, if the person chooses not to listen to your advice? Nothing. So stop beating your head against a wall and move on to another topic on the forum.

People have all different reasons for wanting to acheive a certain price for their property, maybe over time they will acheive that amount or they may lower the value, it is up to them. There is lots of information on forums and websites which vendors can use to help determine their property's value, the same with buyers.

isn't that what this forum is for, to offer advice based on someones problem they have bought here, or is the advice not something you want to hear?

i used to have a house which i rented then sold so i can buy in london, i priced it high it didn't sell for months and I was a serious seller so cut the price slowly by 5-10% every few weeks and eventually got an offer 15% below my initial asking (which was above market average) and still more than i paid when buying it. If i had listened to the estate agent it would never have sold. That area is selling for around same/less than i got in 2012.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    isn't that what this forum is for, to offer advice based on someones problem they have bought here, or is the advice not something you want to hear?
    It depends on the thread.

I contribute to another support thread, where some observers might consider our actions ill-advised, or even against their principles.

If they were to interject a couple of times to comment on what we do, or have done, fair enough.

If they made a point of regularly returning, just to push their particular agenda or snipe at individuals, I'm sure they'd be told to go forth and multiply.

It would probably be acceptable if these theoretical people joined the discussion to recount their own experiences, as that's primarily what the thread's about. However, that would require revealing more about themselves through original input, which propagandists would avoid, as it would surely leave them as vulnerable as the others.
  • smallholdingsister
    Options
    Well put, Davesnave.

So IF we get any viewings THEN they will definitely not offer since Christmas holidays with three kids and a delinquent Labrador have devasted the house.

I will attempt to put it back together again today and to contact our neighbour/builder who is coming to do some jobs once his mood is under control (he suffers with bipolar disorder).

How is everyone else getting on?
  • Mickygg
    Mickygg Posts: 1,737 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    this thread was great, but now house crash posters who obviously have nothing better to do than hi jack threads to write their utter nonsense, have ruined it. No one really bothers writing here now to update so I won't look at this thread now.

And to think if these house crash posters really had a tiny bit of common sense they would post in the relevant sections and threads. let me guess, these people are single males with no partner company I bet, and feel sick as a dog that they haven't bought!!

Good luck all genuine sellers on this thread, especially smallholdingsister.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback