Comments

• Kernel_Sanders
    Kernel_Sanders Posts: 3,617
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    EricMears wrote: »
    but it was 11am before mist finally cleared
    mysterons wrote: »
    Meanwhile over on the east coast of Lincs we were forecast mist and fog which fortunately never materialized so instead sun all day

I'm in between you two and our mist cleared much earlier, then it was sunshine throughout the day. However, it was also extremely hazy, restricting the final figure to 16.17kWh. Still, generation was very steady and I was in all day so able to use most of it to heat the house although I never had enough for the immersion heater despite it drawing only 2.8kW.
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,713
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    mysterons wrote: »
    Meanwhile over on the east coast of Lincs we were forecast mist and fog which fortunately never materialized so instead sun all day gave me an amazing 22.3kwh generated.
    Sorry Welshies ;)

Hello Mysterons, haven't seen you on here for a while. Are you still generating 'stupid' amounts from your system? Not that I'm jealous, oh no sir, never jealous, not me!

Don't worry about us Welshies, but please keep the noise down, we're still a little hung over from the 6th Nations. Don't mention the GrandSlam, I mentioned it once, but I think I got away with it!

Mart.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • sly_dog_jonah
    sly_dog_jonah Posts: 1,003
    Car Insurance Carver!
    Forumite
    A much better week than last here in Cider Country. We only need another 40kWh to hit PVGIS target and we're about 5% under the generation rate needed to hit PVGIS + 25% (101kWh needed in 8 days).

Importantly, we have a nice high pressure system sittting over the UK this weekend, so fingers crossed for some good generation days. A few 20kWh days would be awesome.

Shame our BBQ doesn't run on electric :beer:
    Clocks go back this weekend, so more of the generation will be in waking hours :)
    Cider Country Solar PV generator: 3.7kWp Enfinity system on unshaded SE (-36deg azimuth) & 45deg roof
  • Martyn1981
    Forumite
    Shame our BBQ doesn't run on electric :beer:
    Clocks go back this weekend, so more of the generation will be in waking hours :)

Good point, generation immediately jumps to 7pm+ so covering almost the whole of the evening peak demand period. Though my ESE panels will only contribute 200 to 400Watts after 5pm BST.

Clocks go forward, so that means Sunday will be 1 hour shorter, so a little less generation, but I suppose it all balances out with the Autumn change giving us an extra hour!

Mart.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • sly_dog_jonah
    Car Insurance Carver!
    Forumite
    edited 23 March 2012 at 2:32PM
    Martyn1981 wrote: »
    Good point, generation immediately jumps to 7pm+ so covering almost the whole of the evening peak demand period. Though my ESE panels will only contribute 200 to 400Watts after 5pm BST.

Clocks go forward, so that means Sunday will be 1 hour shorter, so a little less generation, but I suppose it all balances out with the Autumn change giving us an extra hour!

Mart.

I think you must be half asleep Mart :rotfl: The sun doesn't shine at 2am in the morning so the clocks moving forward or backward don't affect the generation whatsoever.

Cracking morning here, not a cloud in the sky and generating 1.9kW already.

I think I might change my forum name to the Sundance Kid smiley-vault-character-192.gif
    Cider Country Solar PV generator: 3.7kWp Enfinity system on unshaded SE (-36deg azimuth) & 45deg roof
  • Martyn1981
    Forumite
    I think you must be half asleep Mart :rotfl: The sun doesn't shine at 2am in the morning so the clocks moving forward or backward don't affect the generation whatsoever.

Cracking morning here, not a cloud in the sky and just about to generating 1.9kW already.

But the day is an hour shorter?

Damn, not a single bite! I thought I might get one or two of you with that one. Should have held off till the 1st April?

Weather here is stunning, and the forecast is for solid suns till the end of the month, apart from the 25th and 31st which are sunny with a little cloud. Of course by tomorrow those forecasts will have changed to thunderstorms!

So it looks like Spring arrived spot on cue.

Mart.

• sly_dog_jonah
    Car Insurance Carver!
    Forumite
    Despite the clear skies today, the output has been about 10% lower than our previous record due to the haze in the sky. I didn't realise such thin high cloud could have a significant impact, but can't really grumble as we've made 17.8kWh (and are still generating 1.4kW) and I reckon we should make about 19-20kWh by the end of the day (versus 21.3kWh recorded on Monday).
  • Kernel_Sanders
    Forumite
    but can't really grumble as we've made 17.8kWh (and are still generating 1.4kW) and I reckon we should make about 19-20kWh by the end of the day
    No you can't, I only made 11.17kWh all day :cry:
  • Kernel_Sanders
    Forumite
    edited 25 March 2012 at 12:23AM
    seagull09 wrote: »
    This morning actually (sunny and bright) was interesting and confirmed to me that a single MPPT inverter is not great when panels facing different directions. Nice full sun on my SE panels, should have seen about 500-600 watts from those, plus maybe 100-200 from those not yet in sun. Instead the TOTAL generating was 300w. It does explain why I'm losing so much on a day like this, because it's midday before I'm seeing decent figures, and of course by 2.30 p.m the SE panels are then doing the dragging down.
    I was told by my installer that I needed two strings because there was a maximum output on each one (10 amps?) Is this the reason you thought you only needed one string? If you are on the higher rate of FiT then it would pay you to have an additional small inverter installed, but would this affect your eligibility? If they didn't advise you properly, could you launch a claim against your installer for loss if FiTs?
  • EricMears
    EricMears Posts: 3,230
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    'Jokecast' strikes again !

Yesterday forecast was for slight mist clearing by lunchtime. In fact we had major mist clearing by lunchtime but it was well into the afternoon before it really cleared.

Today's forecast was exactly the same - but I was up to a kw by 9am (8am in 'old money') which first happened at noon yesterday.

Sometimes I wonder why I bother looking at forecasts !
    NE Derbyshire.4kWp S Facing 17.5deg slope (dormer roof).24kWh of Pylontech batteries with Lux controller BEV : Hyundai Ioniq5
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback